Photo

Doak's Confidential Guide (to Aussie courses)

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

1 is a shocker, and no doubt Jed will chime in with a thread on how we could load up a B52 and carpet bomb it, while still landing safely at Moorabbin airport.

The thing with the front tee, is that it actually brings back the option of driving the green for the good players, which was what made the old hole so good. However, the new green is not set up for that now and they should just load up the B52...

Liz

#62 henry

henry

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3562 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

Elizabeth, I am referring to the front RIGHT tee, tucked away close to the trees. I've only seen it used on a Tuesday. It is the worst tee position on the sandbelt.

#63 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

yep, we played from the trees, no optin of driving the green unless you have a 60° driver.

it's kinda like playing the hole as a triangle

Fairway

Trees
Trees
more trees
TEE really high trees GREEN

sure the above is an exageration, but thats what it felt like from that front right tee - you could almost spit on the green, but couldn't hit a golf ball there!

#64 elizabeth

elizabeth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

Henry,

Firstly, congrats on your hole in one. Secondly, I thought you could slide a high fade on from the 'tree tee', but am happy to admit I might be wrong. Like so many holes down at the tree farm, the large trees grow out and up, making shots which used to be possible, impossible.

15 years ago I could hook my drive off the 18th tee onto the 2nd fairway and play a shot over the top from the 2nd fairway to the 18th green. You can't even contemplate such a shot now. Hence, it is not only the volume of trees, but the unabated growth of established trees which needs to be considered in any 'removal' type thread on the tree farm.

Those rampant trees just ruin the panoply. biggrin.gif

Liz

#65 Jed

Jed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:25 AM

Glad my sources have alerted me to this thread. The subject gets me going like little else in the world of architecture. I'd rather discuss the 1st at CGC than play 19 holes with Delta G.

Put simply the current hole is an abomination from any tee on any day in any conditions. Don't know what Henry is on. I'm surprised he has seen the course at all lately given that he is largely domiciled in a breeding barn on the Belleraine Peninsula these days biggrin.gif .

JJJ summed it up perfectly. No risk reward, you cannot see the green from the tee and the green complex is breathtakingly boring. The ONLY positive is the fact that you can hit the fairway with a 6 iron when you roll up hungover and still make par.

The old first was a gem that should be rebuilt in its original position immediately. There is no valid reason why this should not happen.

#66 marcel

marcel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1191 posts

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE: Jed @ Jun 3 2005, 07:25 PM

I'd rather discuss the 1st at CGC than play 19 holes with Delta G.

Kenny G yes, but delta G, puhleeese tongue.gif

#67 Moe

Moe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7146 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:44 AM

my diagram didn't quite turn out, but you guys know what I mean.

#68 CraigaW

CraigaW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1192 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE: Thommo @ Jun 6 2005, 06:44 PM

my diagram didn't quite turn out, but you guys know what I mean.

is there any hole at the tree farm that requires a draw from the tee or in other terms hit through the ball not a 15 choppers slice
and we wonder why golf clubs are losing members when this is presented as our best course

obsolete irrelevant and overated

#69 GIANTPAUL

GIANTPAUL

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Attached File  Doak on Woodlands.jpg   67.16KB   6 downloads

• Madambo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users