23 replies to this topic

#1 Russino

Russino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:00 PM

I'm curious to know if anyone knows what the Maximum Length's (In Yards or Metres) are for a Par 3 , 4 and 5

We have a Par 3 at my local course that measure's 231 Yards (about 210 m) and I'm curious to know how much further back the Tee would need to be before it's considered a Par 4 ?

#2 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

My understanding is that clubs can make the call any way they want on maximum distances. As an unofficial rule of thumb, the distances go a little like this :

par 3s < 250m
par 4s < 450m
par 5s < 650m

But there is no compulsion to follow that - you will see par 4s shorter than 250m, and par 5s shorter than 450m; usually there will be doglegs, creeks or other impediments to hitting the green in less than regulation.

As is often debated on this forum, the concept of "par" is artificial, and what a club designates as par on a hole will have as much to do with keeping their own members happy as it has with following the rule of thumb above.

#3 Russino

Russino

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 06:41 AM

Guess you're right. i.e Par being Artificial.

They could just as easily say ALL holes are par 4's and get on with it and see what number you can shoot, or even say there is no Par at all and lowest score wins smile.gif

Mind you, I suppose you have to have some Reference in order to calculate Handicaps ?

I play off 17, on a Par 71 course. I always say to myself all holes are Par 5's and try to make Birdies and Pars v's that thought. If I then shoot ''2 Under'' basis my calcs. I play to my Handicap. That seems to help me anyway smile.gif

#4 3putt

3putt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:12 PM

My understanding is that length of holes was stated in the Australian golfers handbook... produced by the AGU annually..

It used to be:

Par 3 to 235 metres
Par 4 to 435 metres

#5 fmg

fmg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 12:15 PM

the course I currently play on has three long par 4s at 483, 485 and 486 yards respectively (441-444m).

#6 Mark Westaway

Mark Westaway

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE: fmg @ Feb 26 2005, 01:15 AM

the course I currently play on has three long par 4s at 483, 485 and 486 yards respectively (441-444m).

fmg,
Wherever you're playing remind me not to play there.
They're just about par 6s for me. smile.gif
Seriously, I'm going all out to make a 410-420m par 4 in 2.
Mark

#7 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 09:37 AM

wasn't there a 260yrd par3 in one of the majors recently???
my only memory of is was that Furyk nailed either a 2 iron or a hybrid in close...

#8 peanuts

peanuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5349 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:15 PM

There's discretion for the clubs at the margin, especially when a professional tourney's on. The 260 yard par 3 may well be a 290 yard par 4 for the members - it being too easy for the pros so they move the tee forward and make it a tough par 3.

Having three par 4s over 440m on the same course is an exceptional situation. Often you'll find the members' card will have at least one of them (perhaps the tightest) as a par 5. At the end of the day, just don't be intimidated by whatever's par. Par is an artificial concept that should not affect the way you play a hole...

#9 TonyCashmore

TonyCashmore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 28 February 2005 - 10:40 PM

Things are forever changing in determining the length of hole conditioned by a

par

value. I guess that any golf hole where its green can be reasonably reached by many (most?) players in one fine stroke registers as a par-3. Thus, a 270 metre strongly downhill golf hole with a fairly open approach alignment could be deemed a par-3? (Probably extremely boring, however, and the designer would be asked hard questions). The development of ever-stronger golf equipment, the distance players can confidently hit the ball, has changed ‘par’ ratings on holes over history. (And bear in mind the

emphasis

on par per hole is an American attitude, the result of their preoccupation with statistics and comparisons. Think of ‘shot values’ and ‘slope’, for example!). I can recall scorecards for the original Kew Golf Club, for example, where a 235 yard (213 metre) hole was a par-4, and rated 15 on the card! And Mackenzie etc never used par as a useful distinguishing tool – he spoke of a course yielding “even fours” – i.e. about 72 strokes for the 18 holes, but called holes “3½” or “4½” values, and knew, as we should too, that any hole might be one or more strokes harder or easier, on any one day, than its labeled ‘par!

A key point from my viewpoint anyway is that there is far too much emphasis with most designers today with very long ‘par-3’s’ – I guess they think this is about the only way to exercise long iron play with modern equipment on the hands of strong players. They’re wrong. And the delicious short par-3 is still a tantalizing thing, not only for all players, but for the designer too.

Tony

• johnno31 likes this

#10 ozero

ozero

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1905 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:56 AM

The 7th Hole at Barnbougle is an excellent example of a great short par 3.
It measures 112 metres and is an absolute gem of a hole. A real stern test into the prevailing wind.

• johnno31 likes this

#11 fmg

fmg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:32 AM

i'm def on-board with both the idea that par is artifical *and* with the value of interesting short par 3s!

sometimes length is the way to test technology, but to interesting to test it with risk/reward situations and forced situations (like ones where it doesn't make sense to take a driver off the tee, or the most demanding shot of the hole is the approach, not the tee shot).

#12 Ji Bao He

Ji Bao He

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16547 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:03 PM

Here you go tobias
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#13 Rsc41

Rsc41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationLadies Tee, 2nd Shot

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:24 PM

Thanks Turfie, 

Has anyone got any more solid up to date info than whats here?

#14 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

Wow, 10yr thread mine, world forum record.??
  • Ji Bao He likes this
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

#15 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5611 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:53 AM

Ha..the magical fractional par formula is your friend here, Ah Ben.
0.0044 X yards + 2.35 = fractional par or number of shots to get down.
2.5 to 3.4 = par 3 (and so on).
  • Ji Bao He and Hat_Trick like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users