#31 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:12 PM

Do we know why?

He wanted to be a contractor not a salaried pro.  Understand from a board member that he entered the field, hoping that Kooringal would entertain his application on the basis that it was for a contractor arrangement and he pulled out when it was clear that they wouldn't.  And that is absolutely fair enough.

Had he gone through with the application for salaried gig, I suspect he would have been well in the mix, his service to members is first rate.

With the all the good things happening at his current gig and the pro shop redevelopment which has been underway for a fair while and getting towards completion when he applied, you have to wonder why applied in the first place.

Edited by Hawkers2015, 10 February 2019 - 06:20 PM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and madness like this

#32 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9363 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:15 AM

He wanted to be a contractor not a salaried pro.  Understand from a board member that he entered the field, hoping that Kooringal would entertain his application on the basis that it was for a contractor arrangement and he pulled out when it was clear that they wouldn't.  And that is absolutely fair enough.

Had he gone through with the application for salaried gig, I suspect he would have been well in the mix, his service to members is first rate.

With the all the good things happening at his current gig and the pro shop redevelopment which has been underway for a fair while and getting towards completion when he applied, you have to wonder why applied in the first place.

Nice to see you at the Vic Open Hawkers, hope you had a good day.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#33 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Hawkers

Not many contracted pros anymore. Clubs don't like seeing the pro earn more than them. Some of the salaried jobs can still be good though.

How long has he been there? Clubs can be like groundhog day. Most members are pretty good but it only takes a few bad eggs to ruin the enjoyment. As long as the pro shop helps me play my golf I'm happy but some members take advantage of the retail worker stuck behind the counter and use them as their counsellor or punching bag. Even if the pro is contracted the club should still make sure the members are respectful.

The feedback on this forum suggests he is well liked and worth looking after.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#34 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

Nice to see you at the Vic Open Hawkers, hope you had a good day.

Pleasant day out despite the harsh conditions, first time I have done it for a few years, used to be a regular volunteer .

• iRON MiCK likes this

#35 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 01:20 PM

Thanks Hawkers

Not many contracted pros anymore. Clubs don't like seeing the pro earn more than them. Some of the salaried jobs can still be good though.

How long has he been there? Clubs can be like groundhog day. Most members are pretty good but it only takes a few bad eggs to ruin the enjoyment. As long as the pro shop helps me play my golf I'm happy but some members take advantage of the retail worker stuck behind the counter and use them as their counsellor or punching bag. Even if the pro is contracted the club should still make sure the members are respectful.

The feedback on this forum suggests he is well liked and worth looking after.

I don't think it is a matter of jealousy.  A lot clubs are trying to save some coin by running it house, for others it is a matter of providing the service and level of service at times that suit the club, regardless of the economics of doing so.  For Kooringal having the simulators is an added complication.

• madness likes this

#36 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

I don't think it is a matter of jealousy.  A lot clubs are trying to save some coin by running it house, for others it is a matter of providing the service and level of service at times that suit the club, regardless of the economics of doing so.  For Kooringal having the simulators is an added complication.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting jealousy, just being a bit facetious. I think the club running the shop is often the best decision.

#37 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3274 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:39 AM

Understand that unfortunately members didn't approve the proposal, so the fee hike will be limited to the maximum permitted by constitution of 5%. For the record I voted in favour by lodging a proxy.

To plug the gap I would expect to see the board implement a range of initiatives on both the cost and revenue sides.  I wouldn't be surprised to see some loosening in relation to access to the course by non-members.

Edited by Hawkers2015, 13 February 2019 - 08:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users