#16 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1670 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:25 AM

Around 5 shots were duds, so I think maybe I should set my next goal at 85. 

It should be achievable in 6 months maybe? What say you?

Always good to set a goal. From what I see on the course, just making some better decisions will improve a lot of scores for higher handicap golfers. It’s quite remarkable how many drivers off the deck C graders hit out of the trees.

I would aim for some goals that aren’t score related. No double bogeys and no 3 putts in a round.

Playing a bit smarter, those 2 things aren’t that difficult to achieve and without them breaking 90 will come with ease.

Edited by Monty85, 21 January 2019 - 10:25 AM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

| GolfLink 

#17 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:07 PM

More good advice, thanks Monty85.

Now that I understand putter design a bit more, I can see why I was shite at it to begin with. I was trying to arc put with a nearly balanced faced putter. The Power Bilt semi mallet is ever so slightly toe down. Once I started to use it in a straight back and through method, it was quite good.

I had been using a Gravity Golf arc master putter with a lot of success in my longer putts. However when I was close to the hole I was trying to "straight back and through" with it and missing left or right, depending on the swing and ball position. The arc putter is very toe down weighted. Three putts were common. The first one I would get close and then miss the short second one!

The Rife putter did arrive today, so I am anxious to get out first thing in the morning to try it. I am on grandpa duty for much of this week, so no competition mid- week.

One thing that has become obvious  since I have been spending more time  on the short game is statistically being a more accurate chipper  makes you a better putter. The putts are shorter and therefore I miss fewer and three putts rarely happen now.

#18 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

It was hot today and so was my score on the front 9 ( 42) . Then my water ran out and my mojo deserted me. Army golf . 55 on the back nine. Crap. I realized that I wasn't staying in posture on my tee shots and they were going left and not fading back at all. Chipping and putting was poor. Thankfully my irons worked fine. Back to the drawing board! 

#19 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:12 AM

Another tale of two halves at Hamilton golf club yesterday. It was a great day with blues skies and a gentle breeze keeping the temperature in the low 30's. Through the greens the course was in good condition, but a bit sparse ground cover off in the rough.

I started quite well, deciding to keep the driver in the bag and used my 15 degree 3 wood off the tee. 23 points on the first 9 ( 42 strokes). The new ( to me) Rife putter was on fire and I even managed a birdie with a chip into the hole from just off the green. 

Into the second nine I broke out the Driver when I thought the risk/reward ration was acceptable. I missed a few fairways, one even when I used a 19 degree hybrid to keep it low. Using the same club I managed to spray one into the trees to the right. Knowing how hard it had been to locate balls in the leaf litter I hit a provisional, which after three minutes searching I had to use.

The final score was 94 and 14 more points on the second 9= 37. My putting went off a bit as did my chipping. Maybe I just need to get fitter to avoid the second half fade, but in my defence I was sleep deprived having driven my pregnant daughter 200 km to the hospital at midnight.

Edited by xrman1954, 29 January 2019 - 06:42 AM.

#20 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:58 AM

Risk /reward ratio not ration!

I try and work out what will happen if my shot goes left/straight/right. My driver skill is still not predictable.

On one occasion when I elected to use driver to reach the dog leg right, I managed to pull hook it onto the adjacent fairway area.  A good hit but 30 degrees off course.The ball ended up in a divot on the rough verge area. I had a clear shot 155 m to the green, so I had a go and managed a low drawer that  ended up just left of the green. Thankfully my Cobra F7 one lengths did the job all day.Well up until the approach shot on 18 when I shanked the bloody thing! "Crap, concentrate you idiot."

#21 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

I played at Portland today with three much better players than I. They are younger and way more experienced than me. How I admired some of their long elegant drives!

I hit 91 strokes/ 39 points. I missed two fairways; one was a drive that faded too far right and ended up in the right rough, under a tree, the other I hit two 5 iron tee shots out of bounds ( stupidity). I have been trying the Moe Norman single plane swing concept on my tee shots. It is working better than my previous attempts at straight/drawer shots.

I was trying out a 54 degree sand wedge ( single length Cobra F7) today. It was O.K. but I think I am more confident with the standard length Cobra 56 versatile grind wedge. Putting was good today; those I missed were near misses.

Strike on my irons was a bit erratic. Some I swept off the deck/thinned , and others I hit solidly. This needs more work!

G.A. Handicap is 20,2. My target by the end of summer is 18. Within my grasp If I stop doing stupid things!

I had a great time playing golf with my fellow golfers today, both socially and golf wise.

• iRON MiCK and hack2489 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users