8 replies to this topic

#1 pyl

pyl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWollongong

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

The unfortunate few that have played with me would have noticed that I launch everything very low. This means hitting 4 and 5 irons into greens is quite tricky since I can't get them to hold the green usually.

So I've been considering a few more hybrids in my bag. I play Srixon Z355 irons with the Nippon NS950GH stiff shafts and the obvious choice might be the Z355 hybrids. Any other options you guys can suggest? And since I am a bit of tight arse I would prefer something that doesn't set me back $400 per hybrid so the newest models are out the window. I don't like paying $200 extra per club just because the manufacturer has to cover their marketing for the latest and greatest, longest clubs ever...

Edited by pyl, 09 January 2019 - 03:23 PM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to be (pretty) good at this crap game, now not so much...

#2 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2739 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

How about spending sub $100 per club and getting your 4 and 5 iron reshafted with something that will help you launch the ball higher.

Try a graphite shaft with a lower kick point to match your existing hybrid shafts, maybe a bit softer flex too. Even cheaper might be a slightly lighter steel shaft with the lower kp and medium stiff flex ?

More action equates to a higher ball flight and given that your 4 and 5 irons are lofted quite strongly then it would be a great experiment.

Jon...

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Francie like this

#3 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

While GG's advice is very valid, I will offer my own experience. When I was starting out in golf 21 months ago I struggled to get a decent strike on my 4 & 5 irons. My solution was to buy a Cobra F7 hybrid with adjustable loft settings ( 22-25 degrees) .

With my original iron set ( Power Bilt Citation Z / now relegated to visitor's clubs) I set the hybrid at 24 degrees. It worked brilliantly with flight and holding greens. Like many hybrids they tend to favour a drawer shape, but you can fade them into greens. Well if I can do it , any experienced golfer should be able to ; right?

Recently I picked up a set of Cobra F7 one length irons and put the 5 iron back in the bag. So I adjusted the loft of the Cobra 4-5 hybrid down to 22 degrees to make it a 4 iron replacement. I faced reality that I was not a great golfer and retired my Callaway 3 utility iron  ( lucky visitors) and picked up another Cobra F7 2-3 hybrid ( 16-19) set at 19 degrees. it has a lower flight pattern.

There are still some F7 and F8 hybrids for sale sub $200 on E-bay and Face Book marketplace. The F8 hybrids are not adjustable for loft.

#4 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24696 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:37 PM

The unfortunate few that have played with me would have noticed that I launch everything very low. This means hitting 4 and 5 irons into greens is quite tricky since I can't get them to hold the green usually.

So I've been considering a few more hybrids in my bag. I play Srixon Z355 irons with the Nippon NS950GH stiff shafts and the obvious choice might be the Z355 hybrids. Any other options you guys can suggest? And since I am a bit of tight arse I would prefer something that doesn't set me back $400 per hybrid so the newest models are out the window. I don't like paying $200 extra per club just because the manufacturer has to cover their marketing for the latest and greatest, longest clubs ever...

Have you thought about using 5 and 6 irons, instead of 4 and 5s?
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#5 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20739 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

Mong.
  • Francie likes this

#6 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2739 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:18 PM

While GG's advice is very valid, I will offer my own experience. When I was starting out in golf 21 months ago I struggled to get a decent strike on my 4 & 5 irons. My solution was to buy a Cobra F7 hybrid with adjustable loft settings ( 22-25 degrees) .

With my original iron set ( Power Bilt Citation Z / now relegated to visitor's clubs) I set the hybrid at 24 degrees. It worked brilliantly with flight and holding greens. Like many hybrids they tend to favour a drawer shape, but you can fade them into greens. Well if I can do it , any experienced golfer should be able to ; right?

Recently I picked up a set of Cobra F7 one length irons and put the 5 iron back in the bag. So I adjusted the loft of the Cobra 4-5 hybrid down to 22 degrees to make it a 4 iron replacement. I faced reality that I was not a great golfer and retired my Callaway 3 utility iron  ( lucky visitors) and picked up another Cobra F7 2-3 hybrid ( 16-19) set at 19 degrees. it has a lower flight pattern.

There are still some F7 and F8 hybrids for sale sub $200 on E-bay and Face Book marketplace. The F8 hybrids are not adjustable for loft.

Sorry to spoil your concept XR but those hybrids don't actually change loft. All they do is alter the face angle, closed or open and maybe a bit upright !

Mong.

Relentless like a Doberman, ISGs version of Pujara.

Jon...

• Francie likes this

#7 pyl

pyl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationWollongong

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

How about spending sub $100 per club and getting your 4 and 5 iron reshafted with something that will help you launch the ball higher.

Try a graphite shaft with a lower kick point to match your existing hybrid shafts, maybe a bit softer flex too. Even cheaper might be a slightly lighter steel shaft with the lower kp and medium stiff flex ?

More action equates to a higher ball flight and given that your 4 and 5 irons are lofted quite strongly then it would be a great experiment.

Jon...

Thanks for the suggestion, however I think it would be difficult to find something lighter and higher launching than my current shafts. Do you have any suggestions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to be (pretty) good at this crap game, now not so much...

#8 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

Yes I sort of realize that to change loft the interlocking gear ring would have to be set at an angle. Anyway by changing the face angle I seem to get slightly different flight and distances; that is more drawer bias = longer shots and vice versa. 

#9 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8757 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 10 January 2019 - 04:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, however I think it would be difficult to find something lighter and higher launching than my current shafts. Do you have any suggestions?

I've seen you take a swipe at the ball in the practice nets..... don't think personally you need anything lighter in the shaft...
Have you ever had your swing speed done bloke
Might all come down to ball position etc when swatting the ball
Just thoughts but from what i've been told golfguy knows his stuff

VTTP 006

Miracle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users