• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:08 AM

I was just on the walking tour of the redeveloped Ocean new course at The Nash which has officially been named the Gunnamatta Course.  It is looking pretty good.  I took a few pics.  Here is the completely new par 3 16th hole.  It was about 170m I think from the blues.  It looks like the ocean is right behind the hole, but there is a kilometre of land hidden.  I can post more pics if people are interested.

#2 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15197 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:34 AM

I was just on the walking tour of the redeveloped Ocean new course at The Nash which has officially been named the Gunnamatta Course. It is looking pretty good. I took a few pics. Here is the completely new par 3 16th hole. It was about 170m I think from the blues. It looks like the ocean is right behind the hole, but there is a kilometre of land hidden. I can post more pics if people are interested.

sorry Nash. I saw duplicated post and deleted one to only realise the one deleted had the pic. Can you repost in this thread please we’d love to see
  • Francie likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#3 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

I was an idiot by not clicking "attach this file" after I picked it!  Here we go!Attached File  eIasEVrCT4iM%5i%shCJ7w.jpg   68.63KB   9 downloads

• chevychase, Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

#4 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

Here are a couple pics of the second hole.  The first pic is from the blue tees, moved to the right of the previous tee blocks.  You can see the hole has been shortened and the green sits alongside the OOB.  The old green was where the hill starts.  Hence the hole is similar.  The second pic is from the landing area in the fairway if played conservatively.  You can see the undulation that will feed balls to the green if you are aggressive and drive for the green.  I think it plays around 280m but into the prevailing winds.

Attached File  LpsId5jaTZK9AYOMgWArBQ.jpg   128.76KB   5 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1396.jpeg   120.84KB   2 downloads

• RobNewy likes this

#5 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:17 AM

Here is a pic of the new 8th.  The new tees are approximately where the tees were on the old 6th hole.  It uses the fairway of the old 12th.  You can see the fairway pot bunker still on the right side.  The throat of the fairway has been widened and the green has been pulled forward and to the left.  The old 12th green used to be where the sandy part is just beyond the green.  And that sandy section is the tee blocks for the new 9th.  And sorry if the pic is rotated 90 degrees.

Attached File  5JbIUzqtRLm+YhhqkTRLiQ.jpg   130.93KB   2 downloads

• RobNewy likes this

#6 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

Another one here is the old 6th hole.  It is the new 12th, but largely uses the same fairway.  Tees have been shifted to the right a bit, fairway bunker is massive and the green has been moved to the right down towards the old 7th tees.

Attached File  0AeYn22bTIOXb1LC9fPfjQ.jpg   95.06KB   2 downloads

#7 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

and last pic is the new 11th.  It will be a monster 210m par 3 from both the blues and the blacks.  This is a pic from behind the green looking back towards the tees.  The tees will be in the same location as the old 11th hole (also a par 3), but the green here is where the 12th gets used to be.  The old 11th green is on the left side beyond the new green they have built.  The tees are where the sandy section is on the right.  There is a massive waste area between the tees and the green which requires a carry to the green.  Hence this fairway section that will be used by many players, especially into the prevailing wind.  Doak calls it a par 3 / par 4 and hence it might be the toughest hole on Gunnamatta.  There is a fairway bunker on the right side of the pic which you can't see too well - in line with the 2 white stakes at the edge of the fairway.

Attached File  BJXtu2qeTtqd8Ei7G5Hkkg.jpg   126.95KB   4 downloads

#8 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

nashman, I haven't looked into the new Doak work too much, despite a general hatred (by others) of the Ocean, I was happy enough to play it.

Did he follow the same routing, out (1-9)around the edge of the property, then up and back in the middle?

#9 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

I didn't mind the Ocean either.  Yes I didn't love it, but I thought it got a bad reputation for what it was.  And no.....routing totally changed.  First nine use the ocean side which almost returns to the clubhouse.  It is 50m further away.  Can't run in for a drink, but suitable for a game of 9 holes.  The second nine use the land between the front nine and the Moonah.  I assume you have not seen the original drawings?  They are publicly available.  I will find them.

• PerryGroves likes this

#10 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 12:14 PM

The club has set up a site for the redevelopment.  The original plan is here - https://ocean.nation...m.au/the-holes/

Note, these were original with a number of changes since.  Hole 11 became a par 3, 12 became a par 4, 15 became a par 4 which looks great btw (sorry forgot to take a pic).  Doak listened to my post a number of months ago complaining about the back-to-back par 3's in the original plan (15 & 16)....haha.

Hence this drawing shows a par 71, but it is now back up to a par 72.

Unfortunately they are saying no guests for a period of time while members will be wanting to play it exclusively.....maybe 6 months!  Sorry to say.

• PerryGroves likes this

#11 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

The club has set up a site for the redevelopment.  The original plan is here - https://ocean.nation...m.au/the-holes/

Note, these were original with a number of changes since.  Hole 11 became a par 3, 12 became a par 4, 15 became a par 4 which looks great btw (sorry forgot to take a pic).  Doak listened to my post a number of months ago complaining about the back-to-back par 3's in the original plan (15 & 16)....haha.

Hence this drawing shows a par 71, but it is now back up to a par 72.

Unfortunately they are saying no guests for a period of time while members will be wanting to play it exclusively.....maybe 6 months!  Sorry to say.

I'm always more than happy to play Moonah, we will eventually get on Gunnamatta.

Guess if members start using the Ocean more maybe some changes to the Old, perhaps some green reshaping? or would that be sacrilege to Nash members?

#12 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17655 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:04 PM

I was an idiot by not clicking "attach this file" after I picked it!  Here we go!attachicon.gifeIasEVrCT4iM%5i%shCJ7w.jpg

As you can see NashMan you weren’t the only idiot

sorry Nash. I saw duplicated post and deleted one to only realise the one deleted had the pic. Can you repost in this thread please we’d love to see

• Commish and Francie like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#13 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

The Ocean course is the only one i have played so far, but unfortunately the day i played it wasn't that long after the greens had been cored. I look forward to getting back to play the others and this new re-design. 

Is there any word on the potential 4th course on the property there? 

#14 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 04:36 PM

I’m currently holidaying in Sorrento and played the Moonah course on Thursday; it is the second time I’ve played it. I would say that it is probably among the top 3 courses I’ve played in terms of challenge, enjoyment, conditioning and after-game facilities. If I lived down here I would join The National in a heartbeat.
  • Forrest Gardener likes this
Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2018 M4 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2-PW: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, 2 iron: Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s; 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff.
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts.
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

#15 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:27 PM

The Ocean course is the only one i have played so far, but unfortunately the day i played it wasn't that long after the greens had been cored. I look forward to getting back to play the others and this new re-design. 

Is there any word on the potential 4th course on the property there?

There was talk of a fourth and fifth course on the rolling dunes to the west of Moonah and Ocean/Gunnamatta. That was voted down a number of years ago and all quiet since. I have no inside knowledge and just going off publicly disclosed released. But I think the focus will be a fifth course in the city....let’s see if Huntingdale gets up on both sides of the fence. If not Huntingdale....then who?

I am interested to know what the feeling is around Long Island. So much talk of flogging that to developers over the past 5 years since the merger was announced. Obviously Nash needs to wait for the agreed period to expire. But with Kingswood now where it is.....plan A of flogging it in a few years time might be totally off. I don’t know my city councils down there, but watch this space on Rossdale too.....and we can leave the noise on the Rossdale issue to the other thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users