#61 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

Now that is a time waster  ^_^

No, it's playing by the Rules, which can't be considered a waste of time!

• Monty85 likes this

#62 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10230 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

Putting with the flag in is like kissing your sister

you've kissed your sister?
  • Bluethunda likes this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#63 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6639 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 15 January 2019 - 05:50 PM

you've kissed your sister?

Never said anything about MY sister......
  • koiom K. Asterisk* likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#64 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2654 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 11:35 PM

A local course has more than eighty sod faced bunkers and it is quite common for a ball to be embedded in them, to get relief from the embedded ball you must drop twice on the face then place twice on the face and then find a place in the general area where the ball will stay.

Are the sod faces considered part of the bunkers ?

I've seen the problem occur at Huntingdale when a ball embeds in the soil area above the bunker but below the turf line. It was considered a plugged ball in the fairway and the player was given relief outside of the bunker.

That could fix your unfair, local rule problem ?

Jon...

#65 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3115 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:01 AM

Previously

Grass covered ground ........ including a stacked turf face ........is not part of the bunker. A wall or lip of the bunker not covered with grass is part of the bunker.

From the current Definition

These are not part of a bunker:

• A lip, wall or face at the edge of a prepared area and consisting of soil, grass, stacked turf or artificial materials,

Edited by AAA, 16 January 2019 - 02:06 AM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#66 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4679 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:51 PM

Have other clubs adopted this local rule?  It has caused a reasonable amount of debate around our club of its value, between the half a dozen people that actually care about the rules. We haven't adopted it yet but the fact a few people have heard of it has caused confusion.

Our club has adopted this rule, but there is one hole in particular where they are exploring other options as it can lead to perverse incentives.

The hole is a par 5 with a strong dogleg right (almost 90% angle).   Any substantial miss to the right lands in deep scrub which is virtually impenetrable and no chance of finding the ball.  Some of the men attempt to cut the corner directly over the scrub, which obviously significantly shortens the hole.  Stroke and distance is a fair penalty for those that attempt this and miss.  However under this rule, which we have adopted, the fairway reference point will almost always be around the corner of the dogleg, no more than about 100m from the green.  The fairway reference point is no closer to the hole than the ball reference point, but the angle is significantly improved, and at worst you will end up playing four from 100m out.

So its a significant perverse incentive for those with the length to attempt to play the hole this way, because it significantly reduces the penalty when compared to stroke and distance.  Last I heard they are looking at whether there should be a specific rule or mandatory drop zones for that hole.

• Birdie Blitz likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#67 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4679 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:09 PM

We had a ruling come up in the New Year in relation to a ball at rest moved not on the green.  I was on the fringe which had a decent slope and intended to putt the ball.  I grounded the club about 6 inches behind the ball and shortly afterwards the ball rolled down the hill onto the green.

We played two balls so as not to delay so that we could consult the rule book.  As we understood it, it came down to whether it was known or virtually certain that I caused the ball to move.  I ended up taking the penalty, even though I was fairly certain that I *hadn't* caused the ball to move.  Because it seemed that the rule was open to be abused, so I felt obliged not to take advantage of it and not to be seen to be taking advantage of it.

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#68 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:08 AM

We had a ruling come up in the New Year in relation to a ball at rest moved not on the green.  I was on the fringe which had a decent slope and intended to putt the ball.  I grounded the club about 6 inches behind the ball and shortly afterwards the ball rolled down the hill onto the green.

We played two balls so as not to delay so that we could consult the rule book.  As we understood it, it came down to whether it was known or virtually certain that I caused the ball to move.  I ended up taking the penalty, even though I was fairly certain that I *hadn't* caused the ball to move.  Because it seemed that the rule was open to be abused, so I felt obliged not to take advantage of it and not to be seen to be taking advantage of it.

In all probability, you sacrificed a stroke.  In order to meet the known or virtually certain standard that you caused the ball to move, it would have to move 19 times out of 20 when you put the putter down 6 inches behind the hole.  If it moved fewer than those 19 times, it was not known or virtually certain that your action caused the ball to move.

• PerryGroves likes this

#69 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14869 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:03 AM

Would you not let your marker know it moved and mark and replace it to the original lie?

18.4 by the end of Summer 2019  - 3.9 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#70 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3115 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:31 PM

Would you not let your marker know it moved and mark and replace it to the original lie?

Why?

#71 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17655 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:33 PM

Ahhhhhh the good old let’s make the game easier and faster by changing stuff.......
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users