#46 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2727 posts

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:52 PM

Easy to overestimate 50 longer ?

Was it 180 in the air and 140 along the ground going abit leftish ?

Jon...

• Bluethunda likes this

#47 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5838 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:25 PM

Easy to overestimate 50 longer ?
Was it 180 in the air and 140 along the ground going abit leftish ?
Jon...

330 in the air but it sucked back 10m
  • OldBogey, BumpunRun, Bluethunda and 6 others like this

#48 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17697 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:07 AM

Easily find that
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#49 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17697 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 02:10 AM

www.girlfriendsguidetogolf.com

Easy to use guide
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#50 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:54 AM

So what if a player overestimates the correct dropping place?
It might give them a 'perfect' provisional equivalent, but they're still two shots down. Considering most golf is stableford, they might still get a point, or maybe not.

Golf is so variable that anything might happen in the rest of the round anyway.

Well the net result after taking the drop is the same amount of strokes it would have been should you have hit another from the tee and piped it down the middle (side of the fairway).

Except now, the skill of golf is taken away and you just get to plonk it down on the fairway. The big problem i see is people will put a ball down where a good drive should have gone, rather than in line where the one they sent OB actually is.

And obviously for any form of stroke/medal/championships rounds this rule really doesn't work. I've seen countless people loses rounds/events by sending 2 or even 3 out of bounds on one hole. That's all part of the challenge of golf.

If we're going down this road, we may as well say; "2 putts per green and then the 3rd is a gimmie". Would certainly save time. :)

• Itchy4Scratch and Birdie Blitz like this

| GolfLink 

#51 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24678 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

Well the net result after taking the drop is the same amount of strokes it would have been should you have hit another from the tee and piped it down the middle (side of the fairway).

Except now, the skill of golf is taken away and you just get to plonk it down on the fairway. The big problem i see is people will put a ball down where a good drive should have gone, rather than in line where the one they sent OB actually is.

And obviously for any form of stroke/medal/championships rounds this rule really doesn't work. I've seen countless people loses rounds/events by sending 2 or even 3 out of bounds on one hole. That's all part of the challenge of golf.

If we're going down this road, we may as well say; "2 putts per green and then the 3rd is a gimmie". Would certainly save time. :)

I have to agree with you Monty. With only 3 mins search time, they're taking the 'find your ball after you hit it' part out of golf.
They're taking it to: hit a ball, hit a ball, hit a ball, etc until you get one in the hole. Fine for social play I suppose, but not golf as we know it.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#52 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:56 AM

Also after another week of playing with the 3 minute search rule i still think it is too short.

Again on the weekend I lost a ball in longish rough and found the ball between the 3 and 5 minute mark.

Certainly didn't save any time yesterday with the round taking 5 1/2 hours. That was another issue to do with a large social group in front of the comp though.

The whole knee dropping thing still seems like a pointless exercise to me. You'd have to be kidding yourself if you think a slightly less chance of requiring a re-drop is going to save any time over the course of a round.

Edited by Monty85, 14 January 2019 - 11:01 AM.

• Forrest Gardener likes this

| GolfLink 

#53 Larry2

Larry2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:29 AM

A local course has more than eighty sod faced bunkers and it is quite common for a ball to be embedded in them, to get relief from the embedded ball you must drop twice on the face then place twice on the face and then find a place in the general area where the ball will stay.

#54 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

A local course has more than eighty sod faced bunkers and it is quite common for a ball to be embedded in them, to get relief from the embedded ball you must drop twice on the face then place twice on the face and then find a place in the general area where the ball will stay.

However, the Committee could implement a local Rule that prohibits free relief from sod-faced bunkers.  They might be wise to do that.

The new Rules have put a lot more onus on the Committee.  I just hope that the Committee can measure up!

Edited by rogolf, 14 January 2019 - 12:35 PM.

#55 Larry2

Larry2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:45 PM

However, the Committee could implement a local Rule that prohibits free relief from sod-faced bunkers.  They might be wise to do that.

The new Rules have put a lot more onus on the Committee.  I just hope that the Committee can measure up!

The Club has had a local rule giving relief outside the bunker, what you are suggesting is the same as the R&A hard Card, I doubt that would go down well with the members.

#56 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3131 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:43 PM

Also after another week of playing with the 3 minute search rule i still think it is too short.

Again on the weekend I lost a ball in longish rough and found the ball between the 3 and 5 minute mark.

Certainly didn't save any time yesterday with the round taking 5 1/2 hours. That was another issue to do with a large social group in front of the comp though.

The whole knee dropping thing still seems like a pointless exercise to me. You'd have to be kidding yourself if you think a slightly less chance of requiring a re-drop is going to save any time over the course of a round.

If you had taken a provisional and then played it after 3 minutes, that would have saved on the extra search time you took.

The knee dropping is not about time.

See https://rulesgeeks.c...-a-relief-area/

#57 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 14 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

If you had taken a provisional and then played it after 3 minutes, that would have saved on the extra search time you took.

The knee dropping is not about time.

See https://rulesgeeks.c...-a-relief-area/

So with the way the rough is at the moment, between our group I think it would have been at least 15 times that a ball was not immediately found after being hit in the rough. I'm not talking about spots where balls might be lost, literally half of them were out in the open where you saw pretty much exactly where it went but unless you walked right on top of it you just couldn't see it.

Suggesting provisional balls be played for all of them is entirely unrealistic. Especially considering half the provisionals could end up in similar positions anyway wasting even more time.

I have been under the impression the knee drop was both about time and taking away situations where players could place the ball after re-dropping. Maybe im wrong on the first point there.

I suppose the irony is that now i think its easier to drop the ball in a way that allows you to get to place it. It was pretty rare for a ball to move more than 2 club lengths before but now if you drop very close to the relief area (which is easier now because of the relaxed procedure) you can quite often get the ball to move ever so slightly out of the relief area allowing you to then place it.

Edit: i should clarify i don't think all the changes related to the new dropping procedure are pointless. Most of them are great changes. Just the whole knee height thing seems unnecessarily arbitrary.

Edited by Monty85, 14 January 2019 - 07:12 PM.

| GolfLink 

#58 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3131 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 10:45 PM

now if you drop very close to the relief area (which is easier now because of the relaxed procedure) you can quite often get the ball to move ever so slightly out of the relief area allowing you to then place it.

Now that is a time waster  ^_^

#59 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1652 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:29 AM

Now that is a time waster  ^_^

It really isn't though. I've said countless times that slow play has never stemmed from what happens when people are at their ball. It's all the meandering about and not being proactive about being ready to play which is 95% of what I see causing slow play.

• OldBogey likes this

| GolfLink 

#60 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:53 AM

It really isn't though. I've said countless times that slow play has never stemmed from what happens when people are at their ball. It's all the meandering about and not being proactive about being ready to play which is 95% of what I see causing slow play.

Agreed. Being ready to play and promptly moving to hit the next shot make a big difference.

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users