#1 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1107 posts
  • LocationBotanic Ridge

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:24 PM

Got a family holiday up there over the Xmas/New Year break and was interested to know if there is a must play course up that way

#2 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:44 PM

Got a family holiday up there over the Xmas/New Year break and was interested to know if there is a must play course up that way

There are two courses in Port Douglas. The newer of the two is what was called Sea Temple. The older of the two is what was called the Sheraton Mirage. Both are Peter Thomson designs.

The Mirage course got pretty run down a while back but the new owners have spent a lot of money. Reports I've received are that it is now in very good condition. Sea Temple is now owned by Clive Palmer and had a name change to Sea Reef. It is always in pretty good condition too.

If you can't play both then you could flip a coin to decide which one to play. If you don't play Sea Reef then at least drop in to spend an hour or two on the verandah at the club house. It's the Far North at its very best.

There are lots of other good choices for a game in the region. Mossman has an ok non-resort style course a short drive away. Then there is the jewel in the crown at Paradise Palms not far out of Cairns. There was talk of that course being closed so it might be a good time to play. Last time I played it was still in good nick. On the other side of town is the Cairns GC which invariably surprises visitors because it is a really good golf course.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#3 Aussiekev

Aussiekev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1107 posts
  • LocationBotanic Ridge

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:18 PM

There are two courses in Port Douglas. The newer of the two is what was called Sea Temple. The older of the two is what was called the Sheraton Mirage. Both are Peter Thomson designs.

The Mirage course got pretty run down a while back but the new owners have spent a lot of money. Reports I've received are that it is now in very good condition. Sea Temple is now owned by Clive Palmer and had a name change to Sea Reef. It is always in pretty good condition too.

If you can't play both then you could flip a coin to decide which one to play. If you don't play Sea Reef then at least drop in to spend an hour or two on the verandah at the club house. It's the Far North at its very best.

There are lots of other good choices for a game in the region. Mossman has an ok non-resort style course a short drive away. Then there is the jewel in the crown at Paradise Palms not far out of Cairns. There was talk of that course being closed so it might be a good time to play. Last time I played it was still in good nick. On the other side of town is the Cairns GC which invariably surprises visitors because it is a really good golf course.

We are staying at the Paradise Links which I think looks out onto Sea Temple/Sea Reef

#4 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 01:44 PM

Forrest, good run down.

Can confirm from a couple of months ago that Mirage is on the up, that said, it aint great but they do have specials regularly that make it worth a hit.

#5 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts
  • Location10m past Natnkyls

Posted 21 November 2018 - 02:21 AM

Paradise Palms is in my top two courses in Australia. Don’t miss it.
Almost regarded by one member as the best non-golf playing golfer on this forum.

#6 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14964 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 05:31 AM

whats your other?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#7 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:13 AM

Jaysus, its OK but you could do with leaving Qld.

#8 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

Jaysus, its OK but you could do with leaving Qld.

Hi Perry. Thanks for your concern I have been outside of queensland before. I have a long leash. Favourite golf course is a subjective vote, if mine doesn’t align with yours I can live with that.

In terms of others that didn’t make the top fwo, Royal Sydney, Torrey Pines, The Lakes, RQ, The Grand, Hamilton Island, Capital, Sanctuary Cove Pines and Barnbougle Lost Farm all put up decent arguments.

Royal Adelaide is my other top two course Mads.
  • Francie likes this
Almost regarded by one member as the best non-golf playing golfer on this forum.

#9 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14585 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

Leaving NSW GC off this list of not in my top 2 decent argument surprises me?

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#10 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:19 AM

Leaving NSW GC off this list of not in my top 2 decent argument surprises me?

You are right. It should be there.

#11 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:49 PM

Hi Perry. Thanks for your concern I have been outside of queensland before. I have a long leash. Favourite golf course is a subjective vote, if mine doesn’t align with yours I can live with that.

In terms of others that didn’t make the top fwo, Royal Sydney, Torrey Pines, The Lakes, RQ, The Grand, Hamilton Island, Capital, Sanctuary Cove Pines and Barnbougle Lost Farm all put up decent arguments.

Are you Lloyd Williams?

#12 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 11:07 PM

Indeed, I would agree with you that favourite can be subjective, an example would be, "my mate Barry plays at XYZ, I enjoy playing with him that's why its one of my favourites".

You said PP was in your "top two".

IMO, "top" implies something other than favourite and you can apply some more objective criteria and weight that criteria.

Semantics perhaps but when giving advice on where to play having a number of subjective views is less helpful than the alternative.

#13 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13288 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:49 AM

Are you Lloyd Williams?

Williams wishes he was Placegetter
  • madness likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#14 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14585 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 November 2018 - 10:41 AM

Lloyds were a client of my Grandfathers firm. I can tell you Lloyd wishes he was his father. Placegetter, as always may indeed be in the running for a "place" on that list.

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#15 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 06:09 PM

Indeed, I would agree with you that favourite can be subjective, an example would be, "my mate Barry plays at XYZ, I enjoy playing with him that's why its one of my favourites".

You said PP was in your "top two".

IMO, "top" implies something other than favourite and you can apply some more objective criteria and weight that criteria.

Semantics perhaps but when giving advice on where to play having a number of subjective views is less helpful than the alternative.

You are right I have no objective criteria of which to use. It is purely an opinion.

I haven’t been paying attention lately can you please let me know at what point exactly the basis for posting on this site required empirical evidence?

That nullifies a minimum of 98% of anything ever written in ISG and I feel is a step I am unwilling to take.

In other good news I have developed another top two opinion regarding this site, but as there is no criteria on which to publish the assessment will keep the details of such to myself.
  • iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users