• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xrman1954

xrman1954

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:13 AM

I am a high handicapper ( 22) 2 years into golf at age 64.

With no local pro available (I live in rural Victoria) to advise me I bought some off the shelf sticks and added a 52  gap wedge and 60 lob wedge over my learning period. 

The bounce on the wedges varies from 8-10 degrees. The width of the sole in the bounce area  varies from wider on the PW SW in the set I bought to quite narrow on the gap and lob. I had no idea what I was buying at the time!

I am trying to work on my short game in an effort to reduce my handicap. My chipping technique is reasonably repeatable, until I thin the occasional one across the green. Bugger! I hate that. I am thinking other than concentrating on stance/ball position issues, would more bounce assist me.

My question is, what degree of bounce and sole width is appropriate for my handicap. I tend to be a sweeper , not taking big divots in all my iron shots.

I use my gap and sand wedge for short chips, preferring to get it on the green and roll it to the pin rather than fly it close.

If anyone has a specific brand/design club that they think I should look at please let me know.

#2 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:44 AM

my advice for what it's worth, get rid of the 60 and get a 56 with high bounce 10 or 12 deg, use that for bunkers, most chips can be done with 8, 9 or PW so learn to use them.
pick a spot to land the ball and allow for run on the green

#3 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5662 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 November 2018 - 10:11 AM

Consider your home course set up. If you've got fluffy bunkers and lots of rough then high bounce wedges will be useful. If you've got firm bunkers and tight/dead fairways then low bounce wedges will work better. If you've got a mixture of the two then consider which club you use mainly for chipping and bunker shots and buy a mixture of bounces and lofts to suit your game plan. 

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:37 PM

Generally we need a combination of different bounces and grinds from our wedge setup. If you have tight sandbelt lies in your fairways then the gap wedge can be 8 degrees with a flat sole or mid V grind. Sand iron can have a bit more bounce from 10* to 12* with a mid to back grind to help with the fluffy lies and thicker sand shots. Then your lob wedge could be less 4* to 6* bounce to handle the firm bunkers, tight lies and flop shots with a flat sole and a thin front edge that sits tight to the ground. Because you thin or pick the ball on the majority of your shots already this would be my assessment for your wedge setup. You could also custom grind your wedges to suit you, rather than having to buy new ones !
Jon...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users