Photo

Where Can I Rent Some Cobra One Length Irons To Try?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xrman1954

xrman1954

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:24 AM

At 64 and now almost retired I took up golf as a hobby about 2 years ago. I have played hockey in the past so I can hit a ball OK-ish. 

I bought some clubs from Drummond golf ( a set of Powerbilt) which have worked well enough, but I changed to Cobra F7 Driver, F7 3 wood and 4-5 Hybrid. I also picked up a Callaway utility 3 iron and a 52 gap wedge and 60 gap wedge.

I struggled with the short irons aggravating my back so I had them all lengthened to 9 iron length with lie angle modified back to standard. I struggle less with them, but still thin the ball a few times per game. Some of this could be inadequate bounce on the gap and lob wedge for my swing maybe. 

My consistency is my biggest problem. I have difficulty hitting fairways with Driver unless I fade the shot.  Direction of 3 wood is erratic, but improving. Hybrids ( Powerbilt 2/3 loft) Cobra 4/5 are working well, irons are OK with distance if I strike it adequately, but deviation laterally is an issue.

I was thinking that a set of one length Cobras ( 6 - GW) might help me with accuracy. I like the idea but want to try before I buy. Is there a place in either Victoria or S.A. ( I live on the border) that hires Cobra one length out for on course testing?

It is pretty obvious that I need to get some lessons, but tyranny of distance has made YouTube/internet lessons a more viable option. My handicap is 22 and my score fluctuates from 86 to 102. 

#2 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14222 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:07 AM

At 64 and now almost retired I took up golf as a hobby about 2 years ago. I have played hockey in the past so I can hit a ball OK-ish. 

I bought some clubs from Drummond golf ( a set of Powerbilt) which have worked well enough, but I changed to Cobra F7 Driver, F7 3 wood and 4-5 Hybrid. I also picked up a Callaway utility 3 iron and a 52 gap wedge and 60 gap wedge.

I struggled with the short irons aggravating my back so I had them all lengthened to 9 iron length with lie angle modified back to standard. I struggle less with them, but still thin the ball a few times per game. Some of this could be inadequate bounce on the gap and lob wedge for my swing maybe. 

My consistency is my biggest problem. I have difficulty hitting fairways with Driver unless I fade the shot.  Direction of 3 wood is erratic, but improving. Hybrids ( Powerbilt 2/3 loft) Cobra 4/5 are working well, irons are OK with distance if I strike it adequately, but deviation laterally is an issue.

I was thinking that a set of one length Cobras ( 6 - GW) might help me with accuracy. I like the idea but want to try before I buy. Is there a place in either Victoria or S.A. ( I live on the border) that hires Cobra one length out for on course testing?

It is pretty obvious that I need to get some lessons, but tyranny of distance has made YouTube/internet lessons a more viable option. My handicap is 22 and my score fluctuates from 86 to 102. 

Contact your local (if there is such a thing) Drummond.  Some but not all stock the Cobra one fit range.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#3 xrman1954

xrman1954

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:33 AM

Contact your local (if there is such a thing) Drummond.  Some but not all stock the Cobra one fit range.

Thanks Commish. The " local" Drummonds is 4 hours away near Ballarat.

I tried a F8 forged 7 iron last time I was there. It felt pretty nice to hit, but really hitting into a net doesn't really indicate how well  I really hit a shot. 

Perhaps it would better if I tried Drummonds in Adelaide. I am travelling over there more often lately.

Another set of irons I was interested in trying was the Mizuno Hot Metal 919. I guess someone in Adelaide is an agent.

#4 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

xrman,
too far away to let you try mine, but for what it is worth, I got the F8 one length in March and love them.

I opted to stay with regular wedges, so I only bought 5-9.

The spread of lofts with the F8s meant I could replace 6 ping i15 irons (4-9) with the 5-9 cobras. That saved me a club, which is important to me because I have 3 hybrids and a driving iron as well as a 3w at the top end.

I like the look of the heads, nicely mid range. Not too "bladey" not too "game improvement".

They sound solid. I hit the new 5i better that my old 4i, even though it has 2 degrees less loft.

And, as a bonus, I have discovered that having them all the same length is useful for short game. I chip with all of them, depending on the situation.

Although the wedges looked pretty good for set wedges, I can't see why I would want longer shafts on wedges, which is why I kept my Ping Glides.

If you can't find a demo, and decide to risk buying them, I don't think you will be disappointed.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#5 xrman1954

xrman1954

Suspect

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 05:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback Devongolfer. Did you buy the forged F8's?

I am interested in your comment about your Ping Glide wedges. I  understand that there are pretty good and so I can understand your reluctance to change. Also what bounce do you have on your Ping wedges?

Also I am interested in why you dropped the Driver and went to a driving iron. My Driver is not my most accurate in hitting fairways so I use it only when I need an extra 20 m and the fairway landing area is wide enough. Otherwise I use my 3 wood or 3 iron off the tee. I think I will need to keep the 3 iron to help get out of the trees until I improve my swing with the driver! I am getting skilled in escaping from the bush after plenty of practise.

#6 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

xrman,

I did not get the forged, I bought the regular ones, presumably that means cast.

I have a driver too. My full set is Ping G25 driver, ping rapture 3w, ping rapture driving iron, 3 mizuno mp clk hybrids, the cobra F8 5-9, glide wedges 47 and 58, Odyssey putter.

The reason I have the driving iron is because I play on a windy links course, great for keeping the ball low.

On the wedges, the 47 is standard sole and the 58 is thin sole. Wedges need to suit the sand type, imo, and the thin sole 58 suits our pot bunkers with claggy sand. I also have a 52, but don't have room for it in the bag when I play my home links. If I visit a parkland course, I swap the driving iron out and put the 52 in.

This is personal preference, but when I play pitches and chips around the greens, I like to grip down the shaft of my wedge, and the Glides have grips that are longer than standard to help grip down. That being the case, I could not see why I would want the extra long F8 wedges. That is why I opted to buy just 5-9 in the cobras. The pro selling them to me did not even try to talk me into F8 wedges.

One of the things you may have noticed is that the manufacturers have been reducing loft specs. My F8 5i has 22.5 degrees. Back in the day, a 3i would have 21 degrees. So, to your comment about trees and needing a 3i, watch out with the F8's. They don't make a 3i, and the 4i is really low loft. I find that my 5i is just fine for those low shots you mention.

The F8 5-9, which I have used all season in the UK, have suited me nicely. They are solid and consistent for full shots, and the single length helps me also use all of them for chips and running shots around the green. Plus, by only have 5 of them compared to the 6 ping irons they replaced, I have space in my bag for one more club, which is good for me because I like hybrids.

#7 spence

spence

Quietly lurking with the occassional snipe.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:11 PM

Golf box do rentals, not sure if there is one near you but you can access online at

https://www.golfbox....golf-equipment/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users