Photo

2019 Leaving Flag In When Putting, Any Pros/cons?

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#106 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:05 AM

All the recent talk of new users who doen't hang around because of the ISG banter......

Shame it didn't apply to Capt. Quote-Seven-Posts-With-The-Same-Douchebag-High-Horse-Repsonse here

WOW. So a new users doesn't meet your 'high esteem' style of communication so they must be bad.

Well, yep, no wonder new users do not seem to hang around here long.

I think the moderators needs to reign in the superiority factor some of you seem to hold for yourself and your mates. Nothing like a little 'club' of like minded men to make each feel superior.

#107 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:19 AM

Basic physics says that if a sphere is balanced on an edge at any point other than its very bottom then some part of it must be lower than the edge. Fine that the rule makers felt they had to put in a bit to cover a situation where the flag is on such a lean that only half the ball has made it past the edge but for practical purposes it would never happen.

Goldy wasn't attempting to quote the rule just explain its application.

But good that it's now been fully clarified - didn't need to insult everyone calling it misinformation - it's a discussion - itchy was asking for clarification

Weetbix, you seem somewhat reasonable with both the tone and content of your post. That's refreshing in here.

Itchy didn't just ask for 'clarification' though, he had to have a swipe, and that's when it escalated.

As you've now noted, a leaning flagstick can well have the bottom of the ball NOT below the surface of the green. That simple fact is no doubt why the rules were written with the precise wording. The 'discussion' was straight out misinformation, IMO.

So, users on here take offense to multiple posts and quotes around the same topic. OK, that's their problem. No need to start personal attacks.

I can see why new users do not stick around, and as it would seem, a lot register but do not post either (see new members and how many have 0 posts) - I guess they've read and seen how the 'group' responds and attacks, so think twice about offering their opinion. As I've posted, the moderators around here need to take a look at this 'self righteous' group mentality. I suspect the 'in' group on here are holding back the growth of this forum and what could otherwise be a wider group of users. I am surprised the owners of iseek, obviously a commercial business venture, have not realised the impact and taken action to stop it.

#108 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5826 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:25 AM

WOW. So a new users doesn't meet your 'high esteem' style of communication so they must be bad.

Well, yep, no wonder new users do not seem to hang around here long.

I think the moderators needs to reign in the superiority factor some of you seem to hold for yourself and your mates. Nothing like a little 'club' of like minded men to make each feel superior.

Mate we have all copped it when we joined the forum. It is just part of the dynamics of group forming. Those dynamics tend tend to get a wee bit agressive at times in a public forum. It's what it is.

#109 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:28 AM

Perhaps they didn't pull me up because I was obviously taking the piss?

No wonder you don't have any mates.

So, your passive aggressive and self righteous tone is now 'taking the piss'? :rolleyes:

Sure, your mates on here may know you and your communication style. But, that's the thing with the written word on a forum like this ... it can be read and taken very different from the way it was meant. And, yet, here you go again ... you just can not help having a personal attack ... what makes you think I do not have any mates? Fact is, with my work I travel the world, get to play golf around the world with 'mates' when work allows. I'm more than happy in life, with my 'mates' and who I am. You however seem to need to belittle and attack a 'new user' - are you threatened in some way? Stop and ask yourself why?

• pom likes this

#110 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:32 AM

Mate we have all copped it when we joined the forum. It is just part of the dynamics of group forming. Those dynamics tend tend to get a wee bit agressive at times in a public forum. It's what it is.

Hey Old Poppy, just because it is, does not make it right.

That's why moderators need to reign it in, and if need, ban the repeat offenders IF they want to grow the user base. It seems on here that is not what iseek is wanting to achieve, and so the moderators let it happen.

I appreciate your 'voice or reason' and calmer tone response. Seems there are some on here like that, but as with most 'groups' a few ruin for all the others.

#111 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5896 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:42 AM

So, your passive aggressive and self righteous tone is now 'taking the piss'? :rolleyes:

Sure, your mates on here may know you and your communication style. But, that's the thing with the written word on a forum like this ... it can be read and taken very different from the way it was meant. And, yet, here you go again ... you just can not help having a personal attack ... what makes you think I do not have any mates? Fact is, with my work I travel the world, get to play golf around the world with 'mates' when work allows. I'm more than happy in life, with my 'mates' and who I am. You however seem to need to belittle and attack a 'new user' - are you threatened in some way? Stop and ask yourself why?

1. The post where I was talking about breaking clubs would sound aggressive, not passive aggressive. Passive aggressive seems to be more your style
2. I would never actually break anyone's club nor do I really care about much happening on the golf course, as plenty here would be able to testify, hence my post about that was obviously taking the piss.

From where I'm standing you were the one that started aggressively belittling people to start with. I didn't say you sounded like a flog for no reason. If you want to play the victim then good for you but I'd suggest you take a step back and consider trying to make some friends around here before you start trying to control how it should be run.

#112 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15472 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 08:52 AM

Hey Old Poppy, just because it is, does not make it right.

That's why moderators need to reign it in, and if need, ban the repeat offenders IF they want to grow the user base. It seems on here that is not what iseek is wanting to achieve, and so the moderators let it happen.

I appreciate your 'voice or reason' and calmer tone response. Seems there are some on here like that, but as with most 'groups' a few ruin for all the others.

thanks Gcuts for the feedback. Some fair points of course but also realise this group especially the core members are part of a community that plays a lot of golf together and are social at times outside of golf.

They have been on here for years and years.

Think about a local club that has long term members. Right or wrong they New the place going daynin and day our and support a variety of things and are here as personal friends I time of need.

There will be many injokes and references that a newbie will not understand. The written word can also get interpreted many ways on here and sometimes out of context.

This is not your normal public forum

There have been many offenders shown the door over the year.

Hopefully you stick around long enough to get to know the real people on here. Cheers
  • Francie and Birdie Blitz like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#113 VijayJay

VijayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

I don't think gcuts is new around here.

He seems very wise and knowledgeable, but what would I know, I only new here too

#114 The B T

The B T

Non Caring or Playing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1430 posts
  • LocationOuter circle

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:21 AM

It's pretty simple for me (needs to be)

Embrace what resonates for you, ignore the other crap. :)

We make choices as to what to read, listen to or watch every day.

• Francie and PuttOvr like this

“I will put my b***s in your mouth. And I will give you some money to make you feel good.”

Just Counting my money. “I don’t care about that match point—would you care if you were 23 and worth over $10 million?”

Nothing is my fault!

I'm Granking!

#115 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39425 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:25 AM

7. This thread

• koiom K. Asterisk* and PuttOvr like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

NTP Yering Meadows 25th hole 1/12/18...and again 30/12/18 | NTP YM 12th hole 24/2/19

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#116 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36792 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:54 AM

Popcorn anyone??

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National EventHalf of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 ​Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Bemanhttp://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351<p>Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#117 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 09:57 AM

Itchy didn't just ask for 'clarification' though, he had to have a swipe, and that's when it escalated.

Yep. As wise mothers tend to say, it's all good fun until somebody goes to far and then it will end in tears.

For what it is worth I think saying no to golfguy33 was a pretty brave thing to do. I say that because he always seems to come across as a pretty astute guy.

As for weetbix he's one of the good guys. I can't imagine him ever saying that he disagrees and then throwing in some insult.

And as for the others? I'm no fan of the abusive banter either, especially when it is applied to somebody they don't know. On the other hand the moderators will occasionally perform a "clean up on aisle 4" if it detracts "too" much from the forum. I had a great time chatting with itchy last night, pages and pages of it, and in the morning it was all gone.

Stick around. More outsiders can only improve the place. As my late brother used to say about people moving from Victoria to Queensland. It improves the average IQ of both states.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 15 February 2019 - 10:05 AM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie, The B T and 1 other like this

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

#118 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11908 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 15 February 2019 - 01:32 PM

Well....that escalated quickly.... :D

Well well. Looks like nothing has changed around here. Make a post that does not agree with certain peoples opinions and you get S$@t canned.

• Forrest Gardener likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#119 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15472 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Well well. Looks like nothing has changed around here. Make a post that does not agree with certain peoples opinions and you get S$@t canned.

full moon?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#120 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15276 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com