#76 jrg1166

jrg1166

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1295 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 February 2019 - 05:06 PM

If the population has grown five fold how is it the golfing population has shrunk, cost of playing? Poor course management? Bad committee decisions? Has to be some reason.

Changing demographics people becoming more time poor cost of living increases particularly housing cost all contributing to declines
  • Forrest Gardener likes this

B Grade Vic OOM Winner 2018

Bad Play Indicator

#77 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2434 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:07 AM

The way we live has changed, women in the workforce now. Back in the day the breadwinner was allowed to get 5hrs+ to himself for slugging it out to raise a family. Not so anymore with most couples working. And TBH the womens lib movement (which is all fair) has changed what men can get away with. 

• jrg1166 and Forrest Gardener like this

#78 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24704 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:23 PM

If the population has grown five fold how is it the golfing population has shrunk, cost of playing? Poor course management? Bad committee decisions? Has to be some reason.

Yes, many reasons.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#79 Eaglehwk

Eaglehwk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:29 PM

It was nice to get back positive comments about my initial thoughts.

A lot of negative comments which I expected.

Please be open to these ideas and give constructive comments.

I joined Huntingdale.

1st issue: This is interesting...I've just been hit with a 10% increase in my up and coming fees for 2019-2020.

This gives light to the fact the club is in deep financial trouble. Although not disclosed by anyone from the club. Not many other tier 1 clubs have a hefty increase in fees. Hences talks with other clubs makes financial sense.

2nd issue:

Old brigade past captains & presidents seem to think a merger with Metro will happen. From my sources nothing on the table from either club. Maybe if merger with National falls through it might prompt talks.

3rd issue:

Rossdale might propose an arrangement with Huntingdale.

This seems like a good option, Capital option was a pipe dream. That has fallen through.

Positive for members of Rossdale is that they could negotiate free fees for a number of years unlike Long Island members whom have a benefit with limited benefit to them, just a small token reduction in membership fees.

The old brigade at Huntingdale prefer this option. They will honestly talk. Rather then loose their course and miss out on their up and coming anniversary.

#80 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9363 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:57 PM

Playing at Huntingdale in a corporate day on Monday 25th.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#81 Eaglehwk

Eaglehwk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

Should be in reasonable condition, I hope you enjoy your day.

#82 NashMan

NashMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:08 PM

Very interesting perspective Eaglehwk.

To add uncertainty on the national merger, I found it extremely interesting the club issued their monthly newsletter yesterday covering a variety of topics...and not a single word about merger or Huntingdale was mentioned. It is like nothing has ever been mentioned before. Extremely bizarre given announcements and previous correspondence about timing. I am baffled as to what is going on.

#83 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9363 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

3rd issue:

This seems like a good option, Capital option was a pipe dream. That has fallen through.

Positive for members of Rossdale is that they could negotiate free fees for a number of years unlike Long Island members whom have a benefit with limited benefit to them, just a small token reduction in membership fees.

The old brigade at Huntingdale prefer this option. They will honestly talk. Rather then loose their course and miss out on their up and coming anniversary.

Spade

calling spade ....

are you there. hello , hello.. is you internet back on..

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#84 FreddyCouples

FreddyCouples

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:09 AM

It was nice to get back positive comments about my initial thoughts.

A lot of negative comments which I expected.

Please be open to these ideas and give constructive comments.

I joined Huntingdale.

1st issue: This is interesting...I've just been hit with a 10% increase in my up and coming fees for 2019-2020.

This gives light to the fact the club is in deep financial trouble. Although not disclosed by anyone from the club. Not many other tier 1 clubs have a hefty increase in fees. Hences talks with other clubs makes financial sense.

2nd issue:

Old brigade past captains & presidents seem to think a merger with Metro will happen. From my sources nothing on the table from either club. Maybe if merger with National falls through it might prompt talks.

3rd issue:

Strange to say that Long Island members that got 10 years of reduced fees and access to the three additional top class courses received limited benefit.

#85 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

Strange to say that Long Island members that got 10 years of reduced fees and access to the three additional top class courses received limited benefit.

What happens after the 10 years? As I understand it Long Island is slated for closure.

I guess if Long Island members can continue their National membership after the 10 years then that might soften the blow of their course going on the NLE list.

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

#86 FreddyCouples

FreddyCouples

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

What happens after the 10 years? As I understand it Long Island is slated for closure.

I guess if Long Island members can continue their National membership after the 10 years then that might soften the blow of their course going on the NLE list.

I am not so sure about that. Long Island had the most rounds of any course last year so I can't imagine members would vote to sell it why would they.

#87 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:04 AM

I am not so sure about that. Long Island had the most rounds of any course last year so I can't imagine members would vote to sell it why would they.

Bear in mind that Cape Schanck National members heavily outnumber Long Island National members.

This imbalance of power occurred when Kingswood merged with Peninsula. In the end the fate of the Kingswood course was out of the hands of Kingswood members. Yes I know that selling up Kingswood was always contemplated.

So here's a scenario for you as a hypothetical. The National decides to buy Huntingdale or Woodlands but needs cash to do it. It can get that much cash and more by selling Long Island to a developer. What happens when more National members want to play at Huntingdale or Woodlands than want to play at Long Island?

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 14 February 2019 - 09:06 AM.

Golflink

#88 FreddyCouples

FreddyCouples

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

Bear in mind that Cape Schanck National members heavily outnumber Long Island National members.

This imbalance of power occurred when Kingswood merged with Peninsula. In the end the fate of the Kingswood course was out of the hands of Kingswood members. Yes I know that selling up Kingswood was always contemplated.

So here's a scenario for you as a hypothetical. The National decides to buy Huntingdale or Woodlands but needs cash to do it. It can get that much cash and more by selling Long Island to a developer. What happens when more National members want to play at Huntingdale or Woodlands than want to play at Long Island?

It is obviously possible but it seems to me Nash are trying to increase the golf offering. I also imagine councils will be making it pretty hard for clubs to sell courses emboldened by the Kingswood example. I guess the worst case scenario for Long Island members is 10 years of reduced subs then they will only have the three National courses and Huntingdale/Woodlands to play. 

#89 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:50 AM

It is obviously possible but it seems to me Nash are trying to increase the golf offering. I also imagine councils will be making it pretty hard for clubs to sell courses emboldened by the Kingswood example. I guess the worst case scenario for Long Island members is 10 years of reduced subs then they will only have the three National courses and Huntingdale/Woodlands to play. 

Agreed but I would not expect the Kingswood land to lay idle until somebody decides to reopen it as a golf course.

My best guess is that the developer will come back with a modified proposal with fewer housing lots to enable council and government to save face. It's pretty much standard procedure in that game to ask for more than you will ever get and following up with what you really want.

Golflink

#90 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 04:48 PM

That's really disappointing for you. Such a shame a club with plenty of members can get itself into that position. Putting fees up by that much is just a death spiral in a customers market.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sandbelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users