5 replies to this topic

#1 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 10:05 PM

We left Mallacoota today for Lakes Entrance. About lunch time we got to Orbost which is a nice little town on the Snowy River in what was once timber country. After lunch I thought I might have a look at the Orbost golf club which is not far from town. Strangely my sat nav said to go the wrong way when the course was in sight.

The driveway leads to a modern club house at the top of a hill. There was only one car in the car park. My first check was to look at the condition of the practice green and a couple of the other greens near the club house. They were a bit slow bit in good nick. The surrounds looked good as well so off I went for a quick nine.

The first is a straight par 5 of 438m. The best line is up the left but there are some trees which intrude. The green is just over the crest of a hill with a large shallow bunker in the front. My ball actually ran through the bunker onto the green.

The second is an unusual downhill par 3 of 143m. Bunkers short right and back left don't really intrude but some short trees obscure the view of the green. There is quite a slope on the left side of the green and some interesting contours. Nice hole.

The third is a par 4 of 354m. A bit like the first it is quite narrow off the tee but then opens out near the featureless green.

The fourth turns back toward the club house. It is a par 4 of 358m which turns to the right. The fairway is wide with OOB on the right as a deterrent against cutting the corner. Bigger hitters might want to play less than a full drive. Again the green is featureless.

The fifth returns to the clubhouse. It is a longish par four of 403m. The fairway is wide and the green is unprotected.

The sixth is another longish par 4. This time 390m. It has a short dog leg to the right. You either need to play a short shot off the tee or hit over a large cypress tree on the corner. From there the green is unprotected other than by some shallow slopes.

The seventh is a par 5 of 465m. The fairway is generous and there was enough run for even a modest hitter like me to get close to the green for two. There is enough interest in the green to make this the best hole so far.

Eight is a par 3 of 137m to a smallish green protected by bunkers and slopes. Again there is enough interest in the green to make this good hole.

The nine finishes with an uphill par 4 of 305m. There is OOB to the right but it is not really in play. The  small green presents a challenging target for the second shot and is a good match for the length of the hole.

I didn't mention the condition of the fairways. They were pretty poor with mostly thin grass or weeds. I played preferred lies but I don't know what happens in members comps. The saving grace is that the greens and surrounds are well grassed.

I'm a fan of small country courses but I've got to say that Orbost is pretty plain fare. Perhaps there were some good holes on the back nine that I missed. To their credit I think they are managing what they've got pretty well. The drought is doing them no favours at all.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24811 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 22 September 2018 - 10:45 AM

Lakes Entrance and Bairnsdale are reputed to be very good courses.

You'll find the 'usual country courses' get a bit better on your way to Melb. Try Warragul &/or Drouin - plenty of rainfall in this neck of the woods.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#3 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36792 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 September 2018 - 03:07 PM

Yeah....I was also thinking you should have a look at Trafalgar. (My old hunting ground)   I'd be interested in seeing what you think ....as I haven't been down there for a few years.

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National EventHalf of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 ​Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Bemanhttp://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351<p>Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#4 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

Lakes Entrance and Bairnsdale are reputed to be very good courses.

You'll find the 'usual country courses' get a bit better on your way to Melb. Try Warragul &/or Drouin - plenty of rainfall in this neck of the woods.

I've played Lakes Entrance (only nine from memory) and recall it being pretty good. I haven't played Bairnsdale. I've played Warragul both before and after the new holes went in and Drouin including the third nine I think they abandoned. I enjoyed them too.

I stopped by Maffra this morning because of its reputation as having excellent greens. Sadly the greens had been cored recently and it looked pretty dry as well.

To clarify why I chose the courses I did, my selection of courses was more aligned with breaking up each days driving into two parts. It worked pretty well in Queensland but less so in NSW and Vic. For example we stayed in Lakes Entrance last night but arrived too late and left too early to fit it in.

Maybe on the way home I'll seek out the best. I know there are quite a few out there.

Golflink

#5 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:13 PM

Yeah....I was also thinking you should have a look at Trafalgar. (My old hunting ground)   I'd be interested in seeing what you think ....as I haven't been down there for a few years.

I have played Trafalgar several times but not for many years. I recall a great undulating sand based property with quite a few really good holes. Well worth the drive for anybody heading out that way.

• Francie likes this

Golflink

#6 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36792 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

I know they have made a few changes over the years.   Greens were always the best, IMHO....but this is coring season so not sure when they'll be doing it?

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National EventHalf of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 ​Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Bemanhttp://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351<p>Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users