10 replies to this topic

#1 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 11 September 2018 - 11:13 AM

You are never going to improve if you dont set yourself goals, longterm and shortterm to achieve that longterm goal.

In terms of a longterm goal, what is a realistic goal to set interms of reducing your handicap? What goals have you set? Is it even realistic to set a specific target interms of handicap over a 12month period? 

Currently sitting at 18 in my handicap and would love to get that down to single figures. Would aiming for being a 14 handicapper in 12months from now be unrealistic (obviously with setting various smaller goals in terms of putts per round, fairways hit, GIR etc)

Or in terms of goals, should your handicap be viewed as a by-product of you achieving and working towards your other goals?

Edited by 12shoc, 11 September 2018 - 11:15 AM.

#2 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11151 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:32 PM

Just set one goal at a time and dont worry about time frames.

Say your first goal is 14. You got that, you at another goal of 12.

I reckon if you pt a time frame on golf goals, you are doomed from the start
  • 12shoc and gcuts like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#3 koiom K. Asterisk*

koiom K. Asterisk*

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11803 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 11 September 2018 - 01:26 PM

Really it all depends on whether you have a coach that likes to pi$$ in your pocket.

• Can Break 80, RobNewy, iRON MiCK and 1 other like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner
2017 Vic ISG Goldy Trophy Runner Up
2018 Bacon Wide Tour Keysie Invitational Winner
2018 ISG National Champion*
2018 Stink/GPJ Trophy Winner Gardiners Run OOM
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#4 Halfer5

Halfer5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 11 September 2018 - 02:56 PM

I set a handicap goal with no timeframe but a specific plan of targets that should I achieve them I will make my handicap goal. My current goal is a PB of 3.3, I'm at 6.5 but moving in the right direction.
  • 12shoc and gcuts like this

#5 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18219 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:25 PM

Really it all depends on whether you have a coach that likes to pi$$ in your pocket.

I didn't know your coach had an incontinence problem. Very sad for a bloke so young.
  • Can Break 80 and snorkelguru like this
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#6 koiom K. Asterisk*

koiom K. Asterisk*

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11803 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

I didn't know your coach had an incontinence problem. Very sad for a bloke so young.

Zinger

Nice work OB

• Francie and Goldy like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner
2017 Vic ISG Goldy Trophy Runner Up
2018 Bacon Wide Tour Keysie Invitational Winner
2018 ISG National Champion*
2018 Stink/GPJ Trophy Winner Gardiners Run OOM
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#7 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

All depends how much time you can devote to it. I’m sure you could get to single figures in 12 months with an hour a day practice and a damn good coach giving you weekly lessons.
  • gcuts likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#8 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:47 PM

You are never going to improve if you dont set yourself goals, longterm and shortterm to achieve that longterm goal.

In terms of a longterm goal, what is a realistic goal to set interms of reducing your handicap? What goals have you set? Is it even realistic to set a specific target interms of handicap over a 12month period? 

Currently sitting at 18 in my handicap and would love to get that down to single figures. Would aiming for being a 14 handicapper in 12months from now be unrealistic (obviously with setting various smaller goals in terms of putts per round, fairways hit, GIR etc)

Or in terms of goals, should your handicap be viewed as a by-product of you achieving and working towards your other goals?

Setting a target in terms of a handicap is fraught with pitfalls I reckon.

Firstly, a handicap is just an outcome, not a process, so it's something that we can't control in the end.

Secondly, any goal is dependent on the time and effort put towards it .. so it needs to be well thought out and achievable. The time component is to be the major consideration I think. How much time and effective effort can be put in, will determine what can be achieved

Thirdly, the steps or the processes need to be specific, measurable and most importantly, relevant I think. Eg you will never get to a single figure handicap despite doing putting practice for 5 hours a day ….. if every drive you ever hit ends up in the trees.

You first need to identify the weakest area of your game, find and gain the knowledge about what you should be doing, and then practice it. Once you have that area of the game up to scratch .. work on your next weakest area, in the same systemic method, and keep going, working on one area at a time so you don't dilute your efforts.

And don't neglect the mental game either, as shots can be saved in every round from having a good mental game.

I for one, if I had a goal to improve, would start with chipping, and I reckon if the rest of your game is okay (and not terminal) then start with chipping.

Why I hear you ask ?

If you can chip well, you never have to stress about 3 putts.

You also don't have to stress over missing greens ….. your good chips will leave you with gettable putts, so chipping helps take the stress from two main areas of the game I believe . your putting, and your approach shots.

Just my thoughts of course ….  ;)

• 12shoc, Mr Potato Head, Itchy4Scratch and 2 others like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#9 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:34 PM

I set a handicap goal with no timeframe but a specific plan of targets that should I achieve them I will make my handicap goal. My current goal is a PB of 3.3, I'm at 6.5 but moving in the right direction.

Think about how you're going to break par and the cap will look after itself.
  • gcuts likes this

#10 xrman1954

xrman1954

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:34 AM

One piece of advice I received was to play clubs that you know you can hit reliably off the tee.

I am off 22 and would like to reach 18 sometime. My driver is not a reliable club for me , so I start the game using 3W off the tee until I feel that my swing for the day is evident. I know I can fade a Driver shot  off the tee , but the 3W goes roughly the same distance so why take the risk?

So get it into play is  priority #1. Then as Mr. Longdrive  above said get it close to the green and work on your chipping to get it within your sinkable put radius. Bob Rotella wrote that you should aim to sink every chip. How I wish I was that good. Some days I can aim for the middle of the green and be thankful if it sticks there. 

• Commish, iRON MiCK and gcuts like this

#11 gcuts

gcuts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:40 PM

...  Bob Rotella wrote that you should aim to sink every chip. How I wish I was that good. Some days I can aim for the middle of the green and be thankful if it sticks there. 

I think, if you check his books, Nutella meant chips from just off the green, like the 10-30m type shots you would ship n run to the flag ... not pitch type shots from 30-100 m away ... where you would be aiming for middle of the green is you're not confident with a pitch shot.

Anyone, yes anyone, can and should be able to chip n run it from up to 30m away to within 1 putt of the flag. I think it is where most players put extra numbers on their card that don't need to be there, simply due to not realising how easy it is to save shot from the distance.

And, when I say anyone, I really mean it ... the 30m distance does not take any physical strength or effort so anyone can get these shots up n down. If they can't they should be practising this area of their game. I think GPJ said it abive, he'd work on chipping. I agree. That's the area to save easy shots without any real physical limitation. Get your technique correct, and if need be, get a lesson in the area of your game, and everyone will save shots on the course.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users