Photo

Carry Distance - How Do You Calculate It?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#31 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2507 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 12:06 AM

I agree entirely with your comments Jon. But the question was whether or not they actually know how far it is to the target. Inaccurate guessing is unlikely to get the job done.

In the old days good golfers would play their shots and then pace off the distance to where the ball finished. If it was long or short they would compensate for the next time they had a similar looking shot or the next time they played the same hole.

When good golfers practised they paced off the distance to their bunch of balls and took the average and became aware of distance and carry via the visual and perception.

Being able to estimate distances is something that becomes a learned skill and not a figure on your GPS. Any given distance as a figure is only relevant if you can actually hit the ball in a particular fashion to get it there ! 

Sometimes it's better to hit your 8 iron onto the green via carry and try to stop the ball, sometimes it's smarter to run the ball onto the green with a different club but the end results can be the same.

Just comes down to the skill of the golfer and how they see or feel the shot at hand.

Knowing the exact distance has little to do with either approach and getting the ball onto the green.

If more players used their instincts to play via a solid practise regime, rather than a figure driven by their GPS unit, they would find the joy of the game again !

Jon...   

• Mr Potato Head likes this

#32 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24387 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:11 PM

In the old days good golfers would play their shots and then pace off the distance to where the ball finished. If it was long or short they would compensate for the next time they had a similar looking shot or the next time they played the same hole.
When good golfers practised they paced off the distance to their bunch of balls and took the average and became aware of distance and carry via the visual and perception.
Being able to estimate distances is something that becomes a learned skill and not a figure on your GPS. Any given distance as a figure is only relevant if you can actually hit the ball in a particular fashion to get it there ! 
Sometimes it's better to hit your 8 iron onto the green via carry and try to stop the ball, sometimes it's smarter to run the ball onto the green with a different club but the end results can be the same.
Just comes down to the skill of the golfer and how they see or feel the shot at hand.
Knowing the exact distance has little to do with either approach and getting the ball onto the green.

If more players used their instincts to play via a solid practise regime, rather than a figure driven by their GPS unit, they would find the joy of the game again !
Jon...

With modern technology, it's a skill that's no longer required, fortunately for those with poor spacial skills. And no one has the time, or could be bothered, to do all that pacing out.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#33 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2507 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

With modern technology, it's a skill that's no longer required, fortunately for those with poor spacial skills. And no one has the time, or could be bothered, to do all that pacing out.

Maybe that's why you don't play to a lower handicap because you lack the basic skills and a solid practise regime ! Knowing the distance via your GPS Phil, doesn't and can't replace the variables that require a good skill set of feel and touch . Riding in a cart makes it more important to have the skills !
Jon...
  • RobNewy and Francie like this

#34 koiom K. Asterisk*

koiom K. Asterisk*

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11795 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 07 September 2018 - 02:38 PM

poor spacial skills.

A certain roll-a-door wanted me to leave this here

• Goldy and Ink🐾 like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner
2017 Vic ISG Goldy Trophy Runner Up
2018 Bacon Wide Tour Keysie Invitational Winner
2018 ISG National Champion*
2018 Stink/GPJ Trophy Winner Gardiners Run OOM
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#35 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11149 posts
  • LocationEast Melbourne

Posted 07 September 2018 - 07:14 PM

Havent been on here much of late, but that line is fuggin awesome. Take a bow sir
  • 12shoc and koiom K. Asterisk* like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407059

So Max, if I don't respond to your comments, it's just because I'm ignoring you because I think you're an arsehole

#36 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3898 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:33 PM

I just 'be the ball'. Using the extrasensory temporal relocation skill established by coaching while advancing mental strengthening for pain management during rehabilitation. This is virtually an instantaneous awareness enhancement for me after years of practice. To accomodate it into my golf game was a very simple matter by using objects and targets as the focal points. Standing behind the ball I keep it in my line of sight, to the target. Whilst visualizing the shot to be played. I 'see' and am the ball flight to the target and the distance becomes a mere matter of metres at the end of the flight. I know approximately how far I hit each club, with adjustments for weather conditions calculated automatically.

Thought is a powerfully efficient tool when enhanced with a little appropriate knowledge. Which in golf is very simple. As are most golfer the epitome of simple minded. This is how the very good golfers remove distractions from their game, be simple in the mind. Do not think, just be a golfer. Get the club, set up the shot hit the ball then move on to play the next shot. Through practise, this is so easy to achieve. Maintaining the social conversations as you play are quite easily accommodated in the increase of mental strength that quickly becomes second nature in your golf game. Especially the mental, after all it is patently obvious there is no lesson from hogwarts that is going to make a use less hacker get it right just by thinking. In fact, that you have been figuring out how to accommodate this skill into your game shows the level of desperation so many golfers stoop to in getting the ball into the hole. This is the fun of passing on the lessons of enjoying playing partners, and amusements in the course of becoming the best golfer you can be.

Edited by Talart, 07 September 2018 - 09:44 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this
Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#37 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24387 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:46 PM

Yes, the roll-a-door certainly lacks spacial skills. But I wasn't aware that it had the ability to communicate with koiom.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#38 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24387 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 05:51 PM

It is quite apparent that one must be simple to play golf well.
Those with advanced analytics and complex thoughts have difficulty keeping things simple enough.

It also seems that good golfers also have difficulty differentiating between nouns and verbs.
  • Talart likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users