Photo

Carry Distance - How Do You Calculate It?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:22 PM

Indoor golf simulator … there are no environmental factors to muddy the waters ….. you can use your own ball and not some worn out range balls ….. and you can have averages done for each club.

An hour or two at the most would see you done for all your clubs.

• Talart, iRON MiCK, Rodent and 1 other like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#17 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14923 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:55 PM

and then repair your 90 divots left on the fairway or tee

its ok. He is a member
  • 12shoc and Bluethunda like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#18 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2507 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:01 PM

its ok. He is a member

Ex-Captain or President to be exact, talk about corruption at the highest levels !

Jon... 

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Bluethunda like this

#19 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2507 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:20 PM

If you don't know how far it is to your target or the hazard, it doesn't matter if you know how far you hit each club.

I don't know of many golfers that don't have a reasonable idea when estimating how far from A to B when playing. So trial and error will soon sort out how far you can hit the ball with different clubs, both carry and total distance. Maybe your game plan isn't something I'd suggest that you should share with others and especially golfers trying to improve their games !

The art of playing the game is very important and often overlooked. Knowing how far and where is a big part of general course management. Once known, these basic strategies can be used to great effect to quickly improve and play a better game of golf ! 

Jon...  

Edited by golfguy33, 03 September 2018 - 10:22 PM.

• Talart and iRON MiCK like this

#20 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:50 AM

good simple way to measure distances is to get out on the course on a day when not many around.

find a hole which is up hill.

from tee or a spot in the fwy hit 5 balls (if you can use all same ball type better) with a 7 iron.

go up and measure with GPS or by paces where they finish (because going up hill wont roll as far and hence will be more like carry distance.

repeat 2 times to take into account variations in quality of strike.

Now make sure you measure and record all hits as this will give you good guide to your not so good distances, your average distance and the one ball that goes farther is one you need to disgard (so you dont take this as "your distance"

then repeat with PW, 9 8 iron and then with a 6 iron.

The ball if struck properly travels in a parabolic arc. So if you are hitting uphill, the carry distance will be a lot shorter.

#21 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5733 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:16 AM

The ball if struck properly travels in a parabolic arc. So if you are hitting uphill, the carry distance will be a lot shorter.

Probably a good thing for most amateur golfers. Means they will avoid trouble at the front of greens more often. 

#22 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24387 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:23 PM

I don't know of many golfers that don't have a reasonable idea when estimating how far from A to B when playing. So trial and error will soon sort out how far you can hit the ball with different clubs, both carry and total distance. Maybe your game plan isn't something I'd suggest that you should share with others and especially golfers trying to improve their games !

The art of playing the game is very important and often overlooked. Knowing how far and where is a big part of general course management. Once known, these basic strategies can be used to great effect to quickly improve and play a better game of golf ! 
Jon...

I agree entirely with your comments Jon. But the question was whether or not they actually know how far it is to the target. Inaccurate guessing is unlikely to get the job done.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#23 Placegetter

Placegetter

Live4PJ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3601 posts
  • Location10m past Natnkyls

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:51 PM

Was out playing my 2nd 9Holer since coming back to golf and played not too bad. 9 Over for 9holes is square on my handicap and I was pretty happy with that. However it could have been better if I had a better idea of the distances I hit my new Taylormade Burner 2.0s.

Seems as if I'm underestimating by approx 10-15m a Club partly because of them being a better club than I had a couple of years ago when I stopped and partly because I'm still now 100% on where I am in my own ability. (I'm playing a lot better than I expected.)

On one hole a 165m Par 3, slightly downhill I hit 6Iron. Shot went where I wanted it but pitched a good 10-15m further than I expected it (8foot short of the hole and about 2 foot offline. :P ) and then ran to the back of the green.

It got me thinking about some of the Golf VLogs Ive been watching on Youtube. Most recommend that you learn what distances for each club are and your carry distances.

How do you work that out if you dont have a driving range or one of the new fangled electronic machines that can calculate shot dirtection/spin rate/ball speed/clubhead speed/carry distance etc etc etc.?

I really liked this question. Nice one.

I have no idea on the answer by the way. But I did like the question.

Will say this, if you are hitting 6 iron 165m and it’s running past the pin, you are a bona fide gorilla.

Slightly downhill is objective, only takes 10m of elevation (either way) to affect club selection. Past the pin is a far better result on about 80% of holes around the world.

So on balance I’d say you win.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and 12shoc like this
Almost regarded by one member as the best non-golf playing golfer on this forum.

#24 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:28 AM

Indoor golf simulator … there are no environmental factors to muddy the waters ….. you can use your own ball and not some worn out range balls ….. and you can have averages done for each club.

An hour or two at the most would see you done for all your clubs.

Only one dodgy driving range on Sunshine Coast.

Might just have to buy this: http://foresightspor...simulators.html

Or see if I can develop a business case and open up my own driving range for the Sunshine Coast eq ipped with about 10 of these. (Maybe a couple of them indoors with leather lounges, food, drinks etc etc etc for the "elite" crew.

#25 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14923 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:35 AM

Or see if I can develop a business case and open up my own driving range for the Sunshine Coast eq ipped with about 10 of these. (Maybe a couple of them indoors with leather lounges, food, drinks etc etc etc for the "elite" crew.

Maroochyriver, Twin Waters, Pelican Waters Chancellor Park, all have ranges Eumundi range?
  • 12shoc likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#26 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:39 AM

Maroochyriver, Twin Waters, Pelican Waters Chancellor Park, all have ranges Eumundi range?

Hmm never thought of Maroochyriver. Chancellor Park always looked a bit dodgy to me.

Being up in Nambour Pelican and Twin Waters are a bit further way. Just a shame Nambour GC doesn't have anywhere, although their chipping green is good for practicing those awkward lies.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#27 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14923 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 09:03 AM

Hmm never thought of Maroochyriver. Chancellor Park always looked a bit dodgy to me.

Being up in Nambour Pelican and Twin Waters are a bit further way. Just a shame Nambour GC doesn't have anywhere, although their chipping green is good for practicing those awkward lies.

Noosa Springs?
  • 12shoc likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#28 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19762 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

Another option …….. get on course when its quiet, on a flat hole, and get to the 150m marker, and hit some shots to the green.

Find out the club that gets you there with an "80% swing" ……… then drop some balls about 10 paces closer in and take one less club …… repeat with all your scoring clubs until you know the average distances each iron / wedge hits it.

Then go out 10m past the 150, and work outwards for your longer clubs  ……….

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 05 September 2018 - 08:20 PM.

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#29 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5401 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 06 September 2018 - 08:51 PM

Another option …….. get on course when its quiet, on a flat hole, and get to the 150m marker, and hit some shots to the green.

Find out the club that gets you there with an "80% swing" ……… then drop some balls about 10 paces closer in and take one less club …… repeat with all your scoring clubs until you know the average distances each iron / wedge hits it.

Then go out 10m past the 150, and work outwards for your longer clubs ……….

So... looking for no players for a couple of hours?
  • 12shoc likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#30 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2507 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 11:41 PM

Most of the private clubs on the Sunny coast have their own practise fairways. 

Most of the private clubs on the Sunny coast are very inexpensive to join.

The practise fairway at Headland GC is only about 150 metres long with a smallish target green but it soon makes you hone your accuracy skills with the scoring clubs ! The chipping and pitching area is also in the same pocket of land and I always found it easy to loose myself for acouple of hours and really enjoyed practising there.

Jon...   

• CaNadiAn MiCk and 12shoc like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users