Photo

Carry Distance - How Do You Calculate It?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:31 AM

Was out playing my 2nd 9Holer since coming back to golf and played not too bad. 9 Over for 9holes is square on my handicap and I was pretty happy with that. However it could have been better if I had a better idea of the distances I hit my new Taylormade Burner 2.0s.

Seems as if I'm underestimating by approx 10-15m a Club partly because of them being a better club than I had a couple of years ago when I stopped and partly because I'm still now 100% on where I am in my own ability. (I'm playing a lot better than I expected.)

On one hole a 165m Par 3, slightly downhill I hit 6Iron. Shot went where I wanted it but pitched a good 10-15m further than I expected it (8foot short of the hole and about 2 foot offline. :P ) and then ran to the back of the green.

It got me thinking about some of the Golf VLogs Ive been watching on Youtube. Most recommend that you learn what distances for each club are and your carry distances.

How do you work that out if you dont have a driving range or one of the new fangled electronic machines that can calculate shot dirtection/spin rate/ball speed/clubhead speed/carry distance etc etc etc.?

• Madam likes this

#2 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14131 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:56 AM

Try a 7i next time.
  • 12shoc and Forrest Gardener like this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#3 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:01 AM

I will.  :P  :D

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41867 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:29 AM

Just learn as you play and if you go to the range find a target at a distance and find that club - then you’ll find it’s probably somewhere around 10m difference between clubs
  • 12shoc, Talart and Forrest Gardener like this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:04 PM

also the secret is consistency in your distance, not your best or your worst shot and not just an average of the 2
most good players will consistently hit their irons the same distance within a few yards, not always as accurate as they like but consistent from a yardage perspective and that makes golf a lot easier.
  • 12shoc likes this

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24179 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

Was out playing my 2nd 9Holer since coming back to golf and played not too bad. 9 Over for 9holes is square on my handicap and I was pretty happy with that. However it could have been better if I had a better idea of the distances I hit my new Taylormade Burner 2.0s.

Seems as if I'm underestimating by approx 10-15m a Club partly because of them being a better club than I had a couple of years ago when I stopped and partly because I'm still now 100% on where I am in my own ability. (I'm playing a lot better than I expected.)

On one hole a 165m Par 3, slightly downhill I hit 6Iron. Shot went where I wanted it but pitched a good 10-15m further than I expected it (8foot short of the hole and about 2 foot offline. :P ) and then ran to the back of the green.

It got me thinking about some of the Golf VLogs Ive been watching on Youtube. Most recommend that you learn what distances for each club are and your carry distances.

How do you work that out if you dont have a driving range or one of the new fangled electronic machines that can calculate shot dirtection/spin rate/ball speed/clubhead speed/carry distance etc etc etc.?

If you don't carry with you a DMD (GPS or laser), then it's irrelevant whether you know how far you hit each club, except for the odd par3.

If you have a GPS phone, spend a couple of dollars on a good golf app and use it. You'll soon learn how far you hit.
  • 12shoc likes this

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#7 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:21 PM

I can see how easy it is to work out your hitting distance. "150m out? Thats my 7Iron" etc. But obviously thats from Point A to Point B. But how do YOU work out your carry distances? Could be important if you are trying to work out if you can carry a hazard or not.

And yes, OB, I'm using SwingXSwing which is working quite well. However, given that those GPS Apps can give you distances to the front and back of a Bunker etc, not knowing your carry distance makes such information moot. :P

Edited by 12shoc, 03 September 2018 - 03:28 PM.

#8 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:30 PM

I can see how easy it is to work out your hitting distance. "150m out? Thats my 7Iron" etc. But obviously thats from Point A to Point B. But how do YOU work out your carry distances? Could be important if you are trying to work out if you can carry a hazard or not.

And yes, OB, I'm using SwingXSwing which is working quite well. However, given that those GPS Apps can give you distances to the front and back of a Bunker etc, not knowing your carry distance makes such information moot. :P

Hopefully you repair your pitch marks on par 3s. It's not rocket science to work out your carry distance from tee to pitch mark.

Edited by Rodent, 03 September 2018 - 03:31 PM.

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24179 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:37 PM

Simple, if you didn't clear the hazard, your carry distance wasn't enough. You'll need more next time.
  • 12shoc likes this

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#10 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24179 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

As for me, I try and avoid hazards. But if in doubt, I'll lay up short rather than go for it, but it does depend on the circumstances.
  • 12shoc likes this

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#11 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1232 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:54 PM

Hopefully you repair your pitch marks on par 3s. It's not rocket science to work out your carry distance from tee to pitch mark.

Nah I just leave my pitch marks. Why should my opponent have a smooth run to the hole after I've putted in for birdie? :P

Edited by 12shoc, 03 September 2018 - 03:54 PM.

#12 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 04:42 PM

If you don't carry with you a DMD (GPS or laser), then it's irrelevant whether you know how far you hit each club, except for the odd par3.

WHAT, PLEASE EXPLAIN ?

Why would it be irrelevant, ever ? Even if you're laying up you still need to know how far the ball is going to travel in the air and total distance. Knowing your carry distances is important to being able to score better.
Jon...

#13 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9133 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 05:17 PM

good simple way to measure distances is to get out on the course on a day when not many around.

find a hole which is up hill.

from tee or a spot in the fwy hit 5 balls (if you can use all same ball type better) with a 7 iron.

go up and measure with GPS or by paces where they finish (because going up hill wont roll as far and hence will be more like carry distance.

repeat 2 times to take into account variations in quality of strike.

Now make sure you measure and record all hits as this will give you good guide to your not so good distances, your average distance and the one ball that goes farther is one you need to disgard (so you dont take this as "your distance"

then repeat with PW, 9 8 iron and then with a 6 iron.

• 12shoc likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24179 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:06 PM

If you don't carry with you a DMD (GPS or laser), then it's irrelevant whether you know how far you hit each club, except for the odd par3.WHAT, PLEASE EXPLAIN ?Why would it be irrelevant, ever ? Even if you're laying up you still need to know how far the ball is going to travel in the air and total distance. Knowing your carry distances is important to being able to score better.Jon...

If you don't know how far it is to your target or the hazard, it doesn't matter if you know how far you hit each club.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

#15 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17453 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

good simple way to measure distances is to get out on the course on a day when not many around.

find a hole which is up hill.

from tee or a spot in the fwy hit 5 balls (if you can use all same ball type better) with a 7 iron.

go up and measure with GPS or by paces where they finish (because going up hill wont roll as far and hence will be more like carry distance.

repeat 2 times to take into account variations in quality of strike.

Now make sure you measure and record all hits as this will give you good guide to your not so good distances, your average distance and the one ball that goes farther is one you need to disgard (so you dont take this as "your distance"

then repeat with PW, 9 8 iron and then with a 6 iron.

and then repair your 90 divots left on the fairway or tee
  • Madam, 12shoc, Mr Potato Head and 1 other like this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users