7 replies to this topic

#1 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:11 PM

Interesting discussion on the ISG Pod with Rod and Adrian about Bellerieve and whether a homogenised course matters or whether a "unique" course matters. What are your thoughts?

For me, I think the course adds to the drama and watchability of a tournament. The PGA certainly was exciting with the close tight finish it wasn't memorable for me.

Had that finish happened at Augusta it would have been automatically classed as classic. How many remember Tigers chip-in on 16 at the Masters, Adams win in the play-off at the Masters, Gregs capitulation to Faldo at Augusta etc etc etc.

The drama on its own was good but for me it was immortalised because of where it was and the course that Augusta is.

What about you? Does the course matter?

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#2 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:39 PM

I really liked the fact that in the last six groups to tee off in the final round of the PGA, there were seven major champions. I can’t remember seeing that before; maybe at the Masters, so in this regard, it was a great PGA. As a golf fan you want to see the best going down to the wire, head-to-head on the back nine; do you need a great golf course to achieve this? Probably not, but I agree, a memorable venue adds to the ‘theatre’. I don’t think Bellerive was the best choice of venues. It wasn’t a bad choice like Chambers Bay was for the US Open in 2015, but it was fairly one-dimensional. If Tiger had of won, we’d be reading about it for months and the media would have gone into a frenzy. All I can say is thank you Brooks Koepka.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and 12shoc like this
Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2018 M4 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2-PW: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, 2 iron: Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s; 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff.
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts.
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

#3 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:20 PM

Augusta is an over-groomed showcase of what bucket loads of dollars can provide. It could be argued that it is one-dimensional in that it favours a right-to-left shot shape. What it has got is history because it's played every year at the same venue.

Bellerive was affected in two ways - initially because the greens were not in good shape before the tournament due to the excessive heat and humidity. And secondly, by the amount of rain they had during the week which softened the greens and provided these guys (who are that good) the opportunity to fire at the flag. If it had been hard and bouncy it could have been a whole lot different.

Personally, I thought the drama was provided by the quality of those in contention, and I reckon the best man won.

But, then again, I am often wrong.......just ask my bride! :D     

• 12shoc and Goldy like this

#4 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 07:44 PM

Personally, I thought the drama was provided by the quality of those in contention, and I reckon the best man won.

Couldn’t agree more.
  • 12shoc likes this
Irons: 2-PW: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, 2 iron: Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s; 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff.
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts.

#5 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:18 PM

Would say the course does matter, but certainly got caught up in the moment with Tiger on the charge.

• 12shoc likes this

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

#6 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 07:57 AM

I think I'm more thinking about how the course looks as opposed to how it plays.

Bellerive definitely suffered from the weather and probably would have been a different test for the players had it been drier and firmer.

But for me, for example, the Masters stands out because of the the history but also the appearance of the course. Even though I have never played it nor ever will, there is an emotional attachment to Augusta. One because its one of the Majors I watched even as a kid who didnt play golf, two the appearance of the course 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18 all stand out in memory and even without an commentary or graphs everyone here could tell which hole the players were one just by looking at it.

I addition to the Masters Wentworth, St Andrews, Carnoustie, Harbour Town, Muirfield (US and Scotland), Pebble, Sawgrass, Torrey Pines all stand out to me through the year partly because of history but also by how they look on TV and engendering the feeling "Hmm, I wouldn't mind playing there."

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#7 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 11:11 AM

The USGA generally schedule the best courses in both the US Open and PGA rotations. They toss in the odd ‘wtf course’ such as Chambers Bay and to a lesser extent Erin Hills, but most are steeped in history such as Oakmont, Pinehurst, Pebble, Shinnecock, Winged Foot, Baltusrol, Medinah and Hazeltine. In my humble opinion, because the PGA usually has the strongest field, the course should also be very strong, but I suppose they do that with the US & British Opens.
  • 12shoc likes this

#8 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

I agree with Rod Morri in his golf express article that the course wasn't asking these guys to make many decisions. The best courses are constantly questioning the golfer as to what club to play, which part of the fairway to hit and what's the best angle or ball flight to get to the pin. Augusta isn't just a pretty face. When you see a tour pro stand on the 12th tee and change his mind 10 times about what club to hit and which part of the green to aim for you know it's a great hole. I remember Peter Thomson saying there is nothing in the rules of golf that says your approach shot is entitled to finish next to the hole and he loved a pin position where you had to aim away from the pin to give yourself the best chance of getting up and down. 

• 12shoc likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users