Photo

Practice Balls, Woh Woh Woooh Woh, What Are They Good For?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:45 AM

Absolutely nothing? :P

Okay, so as Ive mentioned in some previous posts I'm finally getting back into the game after and extended lay off due to a knee injury. Physio is going a lot better than I expected and so I'm looking at hitting the course for the first time in 3 years in just over a week.

In the meantime I've been looking at doing some practice in the back garden. Just to try and get some reassurance that I wont top or airswing for 18holes. :P

I bought some of the plastic "holey" practice balls and it got me thinking, "Is there anything I can do with these to get more out of my give up practice?

Are they only good for chipping into a bucket? Or Could I "drive" them into a net or the back fence? Could they give me any feedback interms of hitting down my target line? Slicing? etc? 

Does anyone have any thoughts/tips or am I barking up the wrong tree?

• Forrest Gardener likes this

#2 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

Absolutely nothing? :P

Okay, so as Ive mentioned in some previous posts I'm finally getting back into the game after and extended lay off due to a knee injury. Physio is going a lot better than I expected and so I'm looking at hitting the course for the first time in 3 years in just over a week.

In the meantime I've been looking at doing some practice in the back garden. Just to try and get some reassurance that I wont top or airswing for 18holes. :P

I bought some of the plastic "holey" practice balls and it got me thinking, "Is there anything I can do with these to get more out of my give up practice?

Are they only good for chipping into a bucket? Or Could I "drive" them into a net or the back fence? Could they give me any feedback interms of hitting down my target line? Slicing? etc? 

Does anyone have any thoughts/tips or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Good luck with getting back into the game. I think you are on the right track with your idea of driving the plastic holey balls into the back fence. Its definitely better than just making practice swings with nothing to hit.

• 12shoc likes this

#3 Mr Potato Head

Mr Potato Head

Non-Playing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1329 posts
  • LocationOff the back foot

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:32 AM

If its not too late, try to grab some of the foam practice balls, they actually give you some feel of contact and are ok to chip around.

• 12shoc likes this

Country golfer on a City course.

I'm good, but no-one seems to care.

Now I find out a French au-pair is NOT a breed of goat!

Never been to the Sudan

Is it really your ABC?

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42053 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:23 PM

The foam ones react to side spin too - I suspect they bend more than a real ball but it’s good feedback

They can fly a decent distance though so you need space or something to hit them in to
  • 12shoc likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 01:29 PM

Will give the foams a try. There is a 10foot fence in my give up that I can hit into so should be fine. Might even chalk up a channel on the fence and/or chalk up the foam balls to practice hitting down the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users