#31 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5367 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

I think when most talk about straight putting styles they actually mean a slight arc.
  • trustyrusty likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#32 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:44 AM

Yes I think so, but I think it was Dave Pelz that has an apparatus that was SBST and if you wanted an arc, I think you raised it of the ground a touch - would be slight arc. I am not sure if he pushes that or sells it now but 0 degree movement I think is impossible or forced. There is an trainer call the Arc that is exactly that... I believe 12 degrees from top to bottom in change... I guess it depends on you...my arc is pronounced but getting better.... tend to rip it inside too much.

Driver: Taylormade R11s
3 Wood: Callaway Razr Black

3 Hybrid: 19 degree Tour Edge Exotics EX10 (195m)
3 Hybrid: 19 degree Taylormade R7 (185m)

Irons: 3-PW Titliest AP2 716
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Putter: Oddessy BIG T
Ball: Titleist Pro v1
Handicap: 2.5

#33 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:20 AM

Yes I think so, but I think it was Dave Pelz that has an apparatus that was SBST and if you wanted an arc, I think you raised it of the ground a touch - would be slight arc. I am not sure if he pushes that or sells it now but 0 degree movement I think is impossible or forced. There is an trainer call the Arc that is exactly that... I believe 12 degrees from top to bottom in change... I guess it depends on you...my arc is pronounced but getting better.... tend to rip it inside too much.

I don't know about an apparatus but Pelz definitely discussed SBST in his putting book. It was based on the idea that you could putt with a vertical arm using a putter with a 90* shaft lie. This he said would result in a SBST action. He then shows a putter with a 90* shaft lie and a very long putter face so that the tip of the putter would be SBST as long as the heel part was. Finally he shows a normal putter and says that it will be SBST as long as the imaginary heel part is.

The missing link for me was always moving the shoulders to make the arms support the SBST stroke. They don't naturally move that way.

Going back to your improvement, one again I think you're on the right track. Ripping the putter inside suggests that something or other is misguiding your overall stroke. My suggestion is to start by looking at the legs and hips to make sure they are working as you want, then progress looking through the chest and shoulders and down the arms until you find what is throwing your stroke off.

In my own case, long ago I discovered that stabilising my hips assisted considerably in smoothing my action. In effect my wrists were compensating for other movements.

#34 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

https://www.pelzgolf...ids.aspx?aid=13

In this video, not the one I saw, if you lift up the one side furthest from you...you can get a slight arc..but this is definitely sbst...

Video link did not work, is below photo of item..

Edited by trustyrusty, 16 August 2018 - 11:14 AM.

Driver: Taylormade R11s
3 Wood: Callaway Razr Black

3 Hybrid: 19 degree Tour Edge Exotics EX10 (195m)
3 Hybrid: 19 degree Taylormade R7 (185m)

Irons: 3-PW Titliest AP2 716
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Putter: Oddessy BIG T
Ball: Titleist Pro v1
Handicap: 2.5

#35 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 16 August 2018 - 07:15 PM

In this video, not the one I saw, if you lift up the one side furthest from you...you can get a slight arc..but this is definitely sbst...

I followed your link. Once the video played it took me to a video of about five minutes which showed Pelz demonstrating his putting arc trainer. At the end he showed the trainer tilted as you describe. Hopefully that is the video you had in mind.

It's a nice idea for those who want to train an arced stroke. I do wonder though at how you would determine the centre of your arc or even whether your arc is circular or some other shape. As you know Pelz just puts a book under one side. Maybe that's near enough.

I also wonder whether perfecting an arced stroke is going to be any easier that perfecting a SBST stroke. The same complexities of the shoulders will be there. It may even be harder.

Each to his own, but if I was really trying to work on the finer details of my stroke I would be happy sticking a couple of tees into the ground to make gates a couple of inches before and after impact. Whether I can regularly get my putter head to pass through them will provide a lot of diagnostic information and some good training too. Then if necessary I'd start looking for reasons for any pattern of errors.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 16 August 2018 - 07:17 PM.

#36 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2490 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

Do you notice how the guys using the DP putting track all have the same clockwise opening move with the clubface to try and keep it moving straight thru to the target ? Right hand rotates and goes under the shaft to give it the correct SBST motion and to keep the putter face square at impact. This is a move that is grooved by alot of youngsters when they use a piece of timber as a rail to guide the toe of their putter and get that SBST feeling. It quite often creates a reverse arc because of the amount of constant pressure used and required to keep the toe of the putter in contact and moving along the rail !

You either have a reasonable SBST swing or you don't. Most players will pick the club up and away, outside the target line with their hands and then try to push the club face towards the hole. 

Jon... 

• Forrest Gardener likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users