Photo

Putting - Putting Arc Vs Sbst

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#16 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19661 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 08 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

While there isn't a true SBST putt …….. because of physiology we will always putt with at least a slight arc (until they make putters with 90 degree shafts).

The easiest way to putt SBST I think …….. is to loosen your grip on your putter, and let your hands and arms basically feel dead ……. and then just rock the shoulders up and down to perform the shot.

Don't let the shoulders move forwards, outwards, inwards or backwards …….. just up and down.

That should keep the clubface on line for the longest period through the hitting zone … without the need for any face manipulation.

There's another 2 cents worth ….  ;)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 08 August 2018 - 07:47 PM.

• trustyrusty likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#17 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:05 PM

The easiest way to putt SBST I think …….. is to loosen your grip on your putter, and let your hands and arms basically feel dead ……. and then just rock the shoulders up and down to perform the shot.

Yes. Well said.

In his putting book Dave Pelz also advocates the hands being directly below the shoulders. I don't think he pushes the idea so much any more.

#18 mrbluu

mrbluu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1307 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

While there isn't a true SBST putt …….. because of physiology we will always putt with at least a slight arc (until they make putters with 90 degree shafts).

Don't let the shoulders move forwards, outwards, inwards or backwards …….. just up and down.

That should keep the clubface on line for the longest period through the hitting zone … without the need for any face manipulation.

There's another 2 cents worth …. ;)

It's not bad way to putt but it's reliant on the putter face being square with the shoulders.

I prefer to use my hands more to release the putter head. I find if I do this correctly, the arms, shoulders and body follow in sequence.

Each to their own.
  • trustyrusty likes this

#19 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

Watching the golf on TV I don't think there is a SBST style - all pros have an arc. Big or small

Your body is stationery and swings around a pivot. The only way to get SBST , I think, would be to extend the arms as you swing to get the hands to stay in the same position ...no good...

Maybe we should say less of an arc more arc.. I seem to get a bigger arc.. but I guess it depends on bio dynamics... how you body is.... hand size, arm length, shoulder with etc...

My arc is consistent - I will give it that... :) 

• Forrest Gardener likes this

Driver: Taylormade R11s
3 Wood: Callaway Razr Black

3 Hybrid: 19 degree Tour Edge Exotics EX10 (195m)
3 Hybrid: 19 degree Taylormade R7 (185m)

Irons: 3-PW Titliest AP2 716
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Putter: Oddessy BIG T
Ball: Titleist Pro v1
Handicap: 2.5

#20 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 11 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

Watching the golf on TV I don't think there is a SBST style - all pros have an arc. Big or small

Your body is stationery and swings around a pivot. The only way to get SBST , I think, would be to extend the arms as you swing to get the hands to stay in the same position ...no good...

Maybe we should say less of an arc more arc.. I seem to get a bigger arc.. but I guess it depends on bio dynamics... how you body is.... hand size, arm length, shoulder with etc...

I agree with your thoughts on SBST.

The big question for putting is whether you can get the putter head to move in something close to a straight line through impact at just the right speed with just the right angle of attack and just the right face angle.

Can't be that hard surely. I quite like James Sieckman's putting book. The part I like best is where he writes something like this is not a how to book, rather it is a can you book. For example, can you reliably roll a ball over a coin two feet ahead. It completely changed my approach to putting.

#21 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:14 AM

I'm a little confused Gaz, are you saying to loosen his grip pressure in his hands or make the grip loose like you did when it was spinning around on your putter, before you added more tapes to stop the slippage ?

Jon... :)

#22 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:25 AM

Question, does your putter sit flat and square on the ground in your normal, comfortable address position ?

If the toe sits up or down this could be an area worth looking at to get the lie and loft angles correct for your setup.

When the toe sits upright ( the most common problem ) or flat it then effects your alignment, then the arc is alot harder to control, during the backswing, impact and the follow thru.  

Jon...

• trustyrusty likes this

#23 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 12 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

Question, does your putter sit flat and square on the ground in your normal, comfortable address position ?

If the toe sits up or down this could be an area worth looking at to get the lie and loft angles correct for your setup.

When the toe sits upright ( the most common problem ) or flat it then effects your alignment, then the arc is alot harder to control, during the backswing, impact and the follow thru.  

Jon...

Excellent advice. My one question is whether it is worth reviewing your ideal setup and mechanics and then fitting a putter which matches your ideal? Or do you buy a putter to fit what you are doing at the moment and then another one when you change your setup and mechanics? Or something else?

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 12 August 2018 - 12:10 PM.

#24 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5328 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 12 August 2018 - 05:22 PM

Excellent advice. My one question is whether it is worth reviewing your ideal setup and mechanics and then fitting a putter which matches your ideal? Or do you buy a putter to fit what you are doing at the moment and then another one when you change your setup and mechanics? Or something else?

Well,duh! The option that lets you buy more putters of course, dude.
  • iRON MiCK and Forrest Gardener like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#25 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:11 PM

Always get the putter that fits you, or have it adjusted to your specs !

Jon...

#26 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:18 PM

Always get the putter that fits you, or have it adjusted to your specs !

Jon...

So, improved set up and mechanics means new putter or can they be adjusted these days?

#27 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:28 PM

Most putters can be adjusted by length, balance point, lie/loft and grip size, depending on their construction and the materials used.

Jon...

• Forrest Gardener likes this

#28 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 06:29 AM

Set up especially lie and loft for a putter is important

but strangely as it happens I played a different course this weekend and on the putting green there was a chalk line drawn to one of the holes that must have been done by someone training. I used it try and see where my stroke was going....

It is a good drill trying to keep the putter head on the line as long as you can until without forcing it, I could keep the putter head on the line quiet well and only right at the end did it come inside which I think is what it should do. My putter is T Bar shape with  a line so you can marry the two lines up. The hands felt a little different. Like the back of the hand stays square to the target - and if there was a laser pointing straight out.. it would stay on the line to the target as your hands turn down underneath. I probably naturally rotate hands open slightly.

This is a good drill to educate hands and you will probably have to do 1000 times to get it ingrained...

cheers

Edited by trustyrusty, 13 August 2018 - 06:31 AM.

#29 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19661 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 13 August 2018 - 08:00 AM

I'm a little confused Gaz, are you saying to loosen his grip pressure in his hands or make the grip loose like you did when it was spinning around on your putter, before you added more tapes to stop the slippage ?

Jon... :)

Hi Jon,

With the putter I had the large grip on it, which had been on and off the putter a few times.

At the very bottom of the grip, I could feel a gap which had worked loose over time between the shaft and the grip itself. 

When I was putting with it, I could feel how loose it was under my trigger finger …….. so I put some more tape right at the bottom of the grip and re-glued it in order to stop that looseness.

In the end I just replaced the grip with a large Rife one, thickening the tape around the bottom hand of the grip to stop that from working loose. Now it just feels solid under the trigger finger again …….  :)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#30 trustyrusty

trustyrusty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 08:38 AM

I remember a drill using a belly putter where the putter is anchored (or without belly putter the butt end of the putter pointing at the belly button during the stroke - the behaviour of the putter there is a true stroke, as I understand it.  - that cannot be SBST ..impossible..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users