19 replies to this topic

#16 Devongolfer

Devongolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 06:35 PM

Very interesting topic. I had a similar issue with short game, my perception was that I am deadly on the short game practice area but somewhat of a duffer on the course.

Here was my thought process, for what it's worth.

Start with a proposition "my short game is far worse on the course than on the practice ground"

That statement might be true, if so why? It might also be a false preception, if so why?

Why might it be true?

There are lots of reaons. The practice area is relatively well known, relatively flat, and I can choose my lie and target.

There is more psychological pressure on the course, leading to more looking up or quitting.

Why might it be a false preception? The pain I feel from a duff on the course is far greater than the pain from a similar duff when practicing.

This is not the full list. My point is that there are very good reasons why performance on the course will be worse than on the practice ground, and there are also good reasons why I will feel that this problem is bigger than it really is.

So my conclusion was that I was worrying about this far too much, making it a bigger and bigger problem. My solution was simply to accept that I was bound to be less good on the course and also pretty likely to be exaggerating how big the problem was.

Which helped me a lot more than trying to treat this as a mysterious major issue.
  • trustyrusty likes this

#17 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19824 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

Another way to look at it is …….that there are no consequences if you miss on the practice green, so you are relaxed and just rolling the ball into the hole.

On the course, there are of course consequences (or so we believe), so tension and stress come into the equation.

Given the above premise, there are then of course, only two options to choose from.

1. You can play your golf without consequences .... eg, don't care at all, if they do drop or they don't, thereby replicating your practice golf.

or

2. Practice with consequences.

To do that, here's a suggestion.

On your way to the practice green, fill your left pocket with coins or notes. For every putt that you hole, a coin or note gets to stay in your left pocket. For every putt that you miss, transfer a coin or note into your right pocket.

At the end of your practice session, reach into your right pocket, and whatever coins or notes are there, then throw them away.

Do that a few times and you may get used to putting under pressure.

Just my thoughts ….. ;)

• trustyrusty, hack2489 and PuttOvr like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#18 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5424 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:11 PM

I play much much better golf when I have no expectations. A devil may care who gives a **** attitude works wonders.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#19 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 05:09 AM

I bought a couple of Bob Rotondo's books. "Putting out of your mind" and " Golf is not a game of perfect".

Both tend to emphasize that process is more important than outcome. That is, if your went through your routine and it didn't drop in the hole, that is just golf. Some will, some won't, so what  : Next shot! 

I also watched a Mike Melaska You Tube video on putting. It was very informative on set up and how to adjust stance/eye line for putting. Even in his video however he missed the hole!

I think having a pre- shot routine and sticking to it, trust your first read, and don't hang over the ball too long before striking it might help you.

Putter selection. If there was a perfect putter design, there would only be one on the market. Same with putting stroke methods. I am fairly new to golf and for the life of me, my putter that I selected just didn't perform for me using a straight line methods. I changed to arc putting using an Arc Master putter ( Gravity Golf) with better results. It lets me use my body rather than my arms when putting. ( I have shoulder issues post trauma). Strangely I went back to my old putter when on vacation when I took a 7 club travel set and it worked equally as well using the Gravity Golf method! 

Expectations: Some days are diamonds , others are stones. We are human and variable day to day. I concentrate on speed and club face being square mainly. If I get the read correct on putt #1 it is a bonus. 2 out of three isn't bad.

I guess post shot evaluation of the three factors mentioned  in the above post would help game day. Speed is my weak point. What I didn't realize is that poor rolling of the ball affects this factor. See Melaska's You Tube video for an explanation.

Edited by xrman1954, 14 December 2018 - 05:26 AM.

#20 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:58 PM

1. Putt 10 putts holding onto the putter with only one hand, your dominate hand
2. Then putt with both hands, feel the putter grip in your dominant hand with just the other hand there for the ride.
3. Watch  Cameron Smiths putting routine, one hand on the putter he gets the line, feels the putter in his dominant hand then brings the other hand onto the grip and pulls the trigger.

4. O and buy your self a puttovr golf ball marker puttovr.com.au 

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users