#1 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:54 PM

As most of you would know a fair swathe of NSW and QLD are in the grips of one horrendous dry spell.... times are tough really tough...

One has the misfortune to read this

https://au.news.yaho...-042127646.html

I've been stewing over this piece of shite from PETA for a couple of days but whomever in PETA is responsible for that statement is off with the farking fairies well and truly. If a farmer is requesting support to purchase ammo to put down stock it means that he has run out of feed, he has run out of water and has run out of money and he is effectively making the next few years non-earning. It is a last resort to put down your breeding stock and as to how a farmer can do it is another question altogether...

With the current lack of rainfall it wouldn't matter how good a farmer you are you are farked unless you have a bore or a spring that is providing enough water to keep your stock. This is what my local area has received rain wise this year

Attached File  rainfall.JPG   21.73KB   0 downloads

Doesn't make for good reading. Town has been on level 6 water restrictions for most of this year, town dam is at just over 20%, luckily we have received funding from NSW government for drilling of bore to support water for town. One of these new bores is in action and is providing enough water to service town on level 6 water restrictions..... my front and give up are national disaster areas.... trees dying and what could be loosely termed grass disappearing rapidly.

The other night I had the occasion to talk on the phone with one of the local farmers, club president, initially about a radio interview he had done about the club and then a general yarn about how he was doing .....

Asked how he was going

Well after a couple of beers, a strong scotch and a wine with dinner okay now he said

How are you coping with feed I asked

Okay, he said. A few years ago when we had a really good growing season we had crops in and we made as much hay as we could. We have bought in 2 B-Doubles of cotton seed and have another on the way as well as some another 2 truck loads of hay. I've been lopping kurrajong trees so between all of that feed is okay. Water new bore has saved the day along with a couple of springs that are still running....

How are you doing yourself

Well it would be nice to be able to come and play golf but all I m doing at present is checking water and feeding stock and then checking on stock that are in the long paddock.... ie on the road.... and that is more than a full day

This farmer is well prepared for a drought both feed wise and financially..... sadly others might not have the financial backing or the luck of having enough rain to grow feed etc etc

I asked him what the paddocks looked like as I haven't had the opportunity to get out to where he is based.

He said well usually when it gets dry the black soil cracks, this time it is just falling apart, something I haven't seen before....

Keep ya chin up mate I said and hopefully I will see you at golf one day

He is one of the many missing from the golf fields of late, one of many missing from the golf club as a whole as they are all totally focused on feeding and watering their stock by whatever means available....

My golf course is suffering ..... Pom played there in April and it was dry .... now it is ...... words fail..... I will try and take a video tomorrow of some of it. We have still got access to water but it is doing fark all of nothing in making anything grow. We have mowed the fairways twice this year, on both occasions with the rough mower. Current mowers are these....

Attached File  mowers 1.jpg   253.93KB   1 downloads

though on some areas even they battle....

Attached File  fairway 2.jpg   278.37KB   0 downloads

So yes times are tough, really tough and if you have friends on the land talk with them and see how they are doing..... a lot are really struggling both financially and mentally

leave you with this

https://www.facebook...55454886536105/

• Bluethunda likes this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#2 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14600 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:12 PM

As most of you would know a fair swathe of NSW and QLD are in the grips of one horrendous dry spell.... times are tough really tough...

One has the misfortune to read this

https://au.news.yaho...-042127646.html

I've been stewing over this piece of shite from PETA for a couple of days but whomever in PETA is responsible for that statement is off with the farking fairies well and truly. If a farmer is requesting support to purchase ammo to put down stock it means that he has run out of feed, he has run out of water and has run out of money and he is effectively making the next few years non-earning. It is a last resort to put down your breeding stock and as to how a farmer can do it is another question altogether...

With the current lack of rainfall it wouldn't matter how good a farmer you are you are farked unless you have a bore or a spring that is providing enough water to keep your stock. This is what my local area has received rain wise this year

attachicon.gifrainfall.JPG

Doesn't make for good reading. Town has been on level 6 water restrictions for most of this year, town dam is at just over 20%, luckily we have received funding from NSW government for drilling of bore to support water for town. One of these new bores is in action and is providing enough water to service town on level 6 water restrictions..... my front and give up are national disaster areas.... trees dying and what could be loosely termed grass disappearing rapidly.

The other night I had the occasion to talk on the phone with one of the local farmers, club president, initially about a radio interview he had done about the club and then a general yarn about how he was doing .....

Asked how he was going

Well after a couple of beers, a strong scotch and a wine with dinner okay now he said

How are you coping with feed I asked

Okay, he said. A few years ago when we had a really good growing season we had crops in and we made as much hay as we could. We have bought in 2 B-Doubles of cotton seed and have another on the way as well as some another 2 truck loads of hay. I've been lopping kurrajong trees so between all of that feed is okay. Water new bore has saved the day along with a couple of springs that are still running....

How are you doing yourself

Well it would be nice to be able to come and play golf but all I m doing at present is checking water and feeding stock and then checking on stock that are in the long paddock.... ie on the road.... and that is more than a full day

This farmer is well prepared for a drought both feed wise and financially..... sadly others might not have the financial backing or the luck of having enough rain to grow feed etc etc

I asked him what the paddocks looked like as I haven't had the opportunity to get out to where he is based.

He said well usually when it gets dry the black soil cracks, this time it is just falling apart, something I haven't seen before....

Keep ya chin up mate I said and hopefully I will see you at golf one day

He is one of the many missing from the golf fields of late, one of many missing from the golf club as a whole as they are all totally focused on feeding and watering their stock by whatever means available....

My golf course is suffering ..... Pom played there in April and it was dry .... now it is ...... words fail..... I will try and take a video tomorrow of some of it. We have still got access to water but it is doing fark all of nothing in making anything grow. We have mowed the fairways twice this year, on both occasions with the rough mower. Current mowers are these....

attachicon.gifmowers 1.jpg

though on some areas even they battle....

attachicon.giffairway 2.jpg

So yes times are tough, really tough and if you have friends on the land talk with them and see how they are doing..... a lot are really struggling both financially and mentally

leave you with this

https://www.facebook...55454886536105/

Sorry to hear Peg.  Any forecast for rain anytime soon?

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#3 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear Peg.  Any forecast for rain anytime soon?

I could say yes, but the simple and realistic answer is NO

Even if it rained now, nothing much is going to grow as it is to effing cold in mornings....

Hold that thought it is sprinkling as I type....

http://www.bom.gov.a...R692.shtml#skip

Fark all of nothing going to fall from that

• Bluethunda likes this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#4 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:42 PM

Something for all that like short loin lamb chops....
Yesterday a mob of high quality lambs were sold for $301.20 a head at saleyard...
To put that into easier terms that is around $7.50 to $8.00 a kilo live weight... that is before they are transported to an abattoir, killed and cut up... I can't put a figure on how much a kilo a chop would cost but one thinks you mind need your credit card to purchase enough for dinner
  • Bluethunda likes this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#5 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17447 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:32 PM

Pretty determined bunch of folk those farmers Peg, more than a lot of these city folk. The constant pressure they are under is immense, saw a story a while ago3 wives lost 3 husbands to depression ........ tough as nails they are.... hope it rains soon for some fresh new crops
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

#6 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:33 PM

Apparently Sunrise is here on Monday... not sure what they are covering but will be in Coona

VTTP 006

Miracle

#7 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14122 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:02 PM

If we (the government) gave as much to our farming community as they do to our new immigrant friends it may help.  Yep call me racist if you like, but I believe in looking after your own first and foremost.  But, no government can make it rain on Q.  I feel for you and your fello Coona's Peg.  Having spent a bit of time with my good mate in Walgett, I know what you are looking at. We city folk have no farkin idea.  We just go to Coles or Woolies and buy what we need.  When the price goes up, we ***** like nobodies business.  We then complain because we are buying product from overseas.  Go figure.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#8 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:45 PM

This a pic looking towards the green om the 8th/17th hole

Attached File  8th fairway 1.jpg   276.95KB   0 downloads

It is a par 3 for both occasions, we haven't had the funds to run a watering system on this hole so it is what it is. The hole on the right where you can see a touch of green has fairway watering.

Sadly what you can see in this pi is what a lot of farmers paddocks look like

VTTP 006

Miracle

#9 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:23 PM

Farking phone. ..
Okay replace video. .
https://m.facebook.c...100000152000433
I know the family and what I saw and what I heard really hurt....
Tonight son who is on our clubs board brought his father in for a couple of ales... hadca chance to have a quiet word with son and he is worried about his father hence visit to club and the opportunity to talk crap with rest of patrons....
Still tough but happy to know son is also concerned about his father and is being proactive in trying to distract his father's mind about what 2morro holds...

VTTP 006

Miracle

#10 Sprtan52

Sprtan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSth East Melbourne

Posted 10 August 2018 - 02:12 PM

My work has a charity box we all put cash/change into all year and then normally we nominate a worthy cause to donate to just before Xmas, the directors today asked if the staff would be happy for us to donate all that we have so far to the Feed for Farmers Fund (or whatever its called) and they would match it dollar for dollar, I know there is about $500 in there so a nice gesture by them I thought.

Good luck to all of you out there doing it tough.

• Madam likes this

#11 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8648 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 10:40 PM

My work has a charity box we all put cash/change into all year and then normally we nominate a worthy cause to donate to just before Xmas, the directors today asked if the staff would be happy for us to donate all that we have so far to the Feed for Farmers Fund (or whatever its called) and they would match it dollar for dollar, I know there is about $500 in there so a nice gesture by them I thought.
Good luck to all of you out there doing it tough.

Kudos to you, your work colleagues and management

VTTP 006

Miracle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users