3 replies to this topic

#1 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:29 AM

So after a couple of years haitus due to a knee injury (discussed in another thread) Im looking at getting back into golf. Looking at playing once or twice a week (9holes)  and at least 1 Comp 18 holes a month. Handicap is probably now in the region of 22.  :o  :ph34r:

Anyway, my previous clubs were Cleveland Launcher Woods and Taylor Made RAC Irons, probably about 12-13years old.

Now that I'm looking at getting a replacement set of clubs (can't justify to the wife spending $1200-1500 for a new set) so looking at somewhere in the region of $600-700 for a second hand set.

My problem is that when looking on Ebay etc I keep gravitating towards those 2 makes simply because thats what I played before. Am I doing myself a disservice not looking at some of the "cheaper" brands such as Srixon, MacGregor, Cobra etc? 

I'll admit I don't really know which are the better models of the above brands. Does anyone have any recommendations that would be worth me looking at online etc?

• Madam likes this

#2 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:15 AM

Nothing wrong with those 3 brands you mention there mate, particularly Cobra and Srixon. All make very good clubs. But you also won't go wrong with any of the big 4 names - Taylormade, Ping, Cally or Titleist. Mizuno's well worth a look too.

Also nothing wrong with RAC's. Great clubs.

Good luck with your search.

Disclaimer - I'm a B Grade chopper. Heading for C Grade if I can't sort my back.

• 12shoc likes this

#3 Sprtan52

Sprtan52

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationSth East Melbourne

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:44 PM

Wilson Staff make good irons as well

• VLAD likes this

#4 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2409 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:14 PM

It doesn't matter what the name on the clubs, say !

If the clubs are optimized to your game then you have a great starting point. Being setup for you is a big part of the confidence needed by any player in their equipment.

The best in the world have their gear customized to the max and this is quite often the difference in a winning formula and consistency, week in week out.

Jon...    

• Madam, 12shoc and Francie like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users