#61 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:40 AM

FG, seems like you take a lot of strokes to move the ball the first 300 metres or so. And given that you get to tee it up on the first shot then somethings breaking down in between. Poor woods and or poorer iron play ?

Jon...

Exactly so. The fairways at Cairns GC are pretty generous but I only hit two of them yesterday. And only one of those two was well struck. One of my playing partners yesterday said he couldn't remember seeing me in so much trouble. He contrasted it with my fourteen greens hit round a few weeks ago when he said he couldn't remember me hitting it better.

I actually hit six greens yesterday and a few more approaches were within a metre or so of the green surface. I thought it was a reasonable job given the low quality of my work off the tee. Seven of my tee shots were in chip out country. Three were in water hazards. A few more were way out of position.

In a strange way I take some encouragement from it all.

#62 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 02 September 2018 - 10:16 PM

Good news. I passed my weight shift swing review at the fourth attempt. Briefly, that means I am getting my weight onto my right ankle early in the back swing, from face on maintain my right leg position during the back swing, move my weight onto my left ankle early in the down swing, from down the line maintain my right leg position until impact, and from face on have my left hip stacked up over my left ankle.

The next stage is rotation. In a nutshell that means getting a 90* shoulder turn and 45* hip turn on the back swing, and getting the hips 30* open and shoulders square at impact.

Now that is pretty standard stuff for the average flexible twenty year old. I'm not sure how or even if it will work for more mature age stiffened individuals (namely me). The good news is that I tried the TPI test for dissociating my hips from my torso and could do that a little. The not so good news is that the TPI test for chest rotation doesn't get me to the requisite 45*. Worse is that it is quite uncomfortable when I try to get a full shoulder turn over a limited hip turn. Maybe that is why I have stopped doing such things over the years.

So today was practice on the six hole course at the Cairns Golf Centre. I only tried the back swing rotation part and had partial success. I didn't work on the down swing part at all. My swing felt like it had gone to hell in a hand basket.

After viewing the videos in some detail the down swing didn't look so bad. The reality of course is that the more I allow my hips to turn on the back swing the further I have to turn them on the down swing. I'm not sure that I can turn them quickly enough. And then there is the problem of maintaining the separation between hips and shoulders on the down swing.

Wasn't it an antarctic explorer who said he was going outside and may not be back for some time?

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 02 September 2018 - 10:23 PM.

• Weetbix likes this

#63 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42058 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 03 September 2018 - 10:32 AM

Just be really careful trying to achieve those sort of arbitrary targets and gaps - you can play great golf from 80 degrees of shoulders and 50 degrees of hips if that’s how your body moves

Back problems lie down the path of forcibly limiting hip turn and maximising shoulder turn

Throw a ball and see if you get that tensed up at the end of that backswing?
  • Forrest Gardener likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#64 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 03 September 2018 - 02:23 PM

Just be really careful trying to achieve those sort of arbitrary targets and gaps - you can play great golf from 80 degrees of shoulders and 50 degrees of hips if that’s how your body moves

Back problems lie down the path of forcibly limiting hip turn and maximising shoulder turn

Throw a ball and see if you get that tensed up at the end of that backswing?

Quite so. My back and I have excellent communications. The last few years it has told me in no uncertain terms to stop playing well before the end of the season. From time to time I encourage it to take a more positive approach. Usually it says something about getting in the far queue. If I insist it says something about the benefits of a far cough. It quite likes the weight shift work I have been doing. In particular it likes a combined weight shift and turn on the down swing. It's quite surprising how much benefit I've seen (health wise) in using the big muscles to get things moving.

Your comment about how an individual's body moves is spot on. Having looked at the TPI training material they have a theme they call the body swing connection. They talk about how mobility and stability limitations can manifest themselves in swing characteristics. My guess is that I am one of many who have more or less eliminated hip to shoulder separation on the down swing to compensate for other issues. I'll be interested in what they say at the training in Sydney later this month.

I'll also be interested in what my online instructor says. He has already picked up on my left knee and hip action near impact as a source of potential injury and insisted I fix it before passing me on the weight shift section. He has also hinted that he'll be saying more about sequencing on the down swing.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 03 September 2018 - 02:25 PM.

#65 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 03 September 2018 - 09:21 PM

Rotation, rotation, rotation.

After tentatively dabbling with rotation yesterday I started serious work today. I figured it is one thing to get the hips and shoulders rotated away from the ball but another doing something useful from there. A harsh judge of my current swing (that would be me) would be that I don't really have all that much to work with at the end of the backswing, then drive down with my arms until my shoulders get going and then flip the club into impact. Readers familiar with James Sieckman's short game philosophy will recognise that as being pretty close to the ideal sequence for a finesse swing. And that's not great when you are trying to hit a shot more than about 30 metres.

My swing these days is pretty short. It was strange then that an instructional video on eliminating over swinging provided my inspiration for today's practice session. In short the theme of the video was that a major cause of over-swinging was that nothing ever gets loaded up and so the body and arms just keep going back. The recommended solution was to utilise the stretch reflex phenomenon. If the arms get loaded up on the way back they will tend to stop and want to fire straight away. If the shoulders get loaded up they will want to stop and fire straight away. If the hips get loaded up they will want to stop and fire straight away. Putting it all together the idea is that when everything gets loaded up the back swing will naturally stop in a powerful position.So what could I do with my back swing which to quote the instructional video was all kinds of sloppy?

First I wanted to tighten up my hip action a little but apart from not hurting my right knee it didn't really have any reason to stop on the back swing. I'd never really understood why rotaryswing.com likes the idea of loading up the right glute on the back swing. I'd never really understood why they recommend keeping the right knee pointing forward and resisting any rotation on the back swing. Today it made a bit more sense. Both of these things are really good ways to load up and stabilise the right hip on the back swing.

I found that it was actually pretty easy to load up the right hip. By moving my weight onto my right ankle and turning my hip with a steady right knee I found muscles I didn't know I had. Not only that but the move made it easier to keep my right leg stable on the downswing. My hips definitely stopped and wanted to fire straight away. That was quite a novelty for me.

The next step was to get some meaningful tension into my upper body. Rather than turning for the sake of it I turned my upper body so that I felt some tension in my left side hoping that my upper body would stop turning and want to fire right away. If I timed my move back to the left properly all of a sudden I had a functional back swing with everything loaded up and ready to fire. By an apparent coincidence I was also getting the specified 45* hip turn and 90* back swing. And some of my shots felt effortlessly powerful.

Now that's not to say I think I've found the holy grail or that I'm maintaining meaningful separation of the hips and shoulders on the downswing or that I'm not still flipping my hands through impact or even that my back swing is not still quite short. And I apologise for rambling on to everybody who has known this stuff forever.

What I can say is that deep down yesterday I probably doubted that I would ever be able to effectively use my lower body to drive my swing, now I think I just might. Maybe.

• Jack_Golfer and hack2489 like this

#66 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 05 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

Wednesday stableford at Cairns GC.

Highlights: drive and 30m pitch to five feet for a birdie on the first (273m), drive, 80m pitch and easy two putts for par on the second (314m), drive, 80m pitch and easy two putts for par on the third (340m), 9I to 20 feet and two putts for par on eight (123m), drive and 9I to 15 feet and two putts for par on nine (343m), nice up and down from green side bunker for bogey on fifteen (404m), nice up and down from 30m on sixteen (346m), nice green side bunker shot to 6ft on seventeen (161m).

Score 84 against par 71 for 30 stableford points. Golflink tells me that my handicap is now 6.6 against 6.5 when I started playing competition rounds at Cairns. My last six rounds have been 85, 84, 86, 81, 85 and 84. Objectively that means I am currently a fairly consistent 12 or 13 handicapper who had one recent good day. Either that or I'm a fairly consistent 5 or 6 handicapper who is currently in a form slump. It is probably a little from column A and a little from column B.

As my last par round drops off the bottom of my four year golflink history tomorrow I have decided to adopt a less ambitious medium term target of beating my next best score over the last four years That means I am now trying to achieve a golflink "played to" score of five. I've done that at least once during each of the last four years. My target is to meet my target before my most recent "played to" score of five drops out of my twenty most recent scores. That means I have ten rounds to do it. Whether I achieve it or not I will adjust my medium term goals accordingly.

The other news is that my wife and I are about to do a three week road trip to Melbourne. I think it will take a while to bed down the swing changes I have made. I'm therefore going to do some work on my game without playing any competition golf for the duration. I see that as an opportunity to focus more on swing improvement and ball striking obtaining feedback by playing the odd nine holes here and there.

#67 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:14 PM

The road trip is complete, I enjoyed the odd nine holes on the way, I did the TPI Level 1 training, and we are in Melbourne. Time to move forward with my quest to beat par one more time and my intermediate goal of a "played to" score of five or better. On that subject my one competition round on the road has pushed my handicap out to 7.1. That's the highest it's been since 11 June 2017.

So where to start. I thought some short game practice might be in order followed perhaps by a small bucket of balls. When I got my clubs out, however, the temperature was around 16 degrees. There was a bit of wind and it felt colder. I was amazed to see a few people in shorts. All that time in the tropics must have made me soft.

At any rate I grabbed a few balls and my P wedge and hit a few chips to the practice green from about ten yards. I hit one hard a bit hard and it ran across the green into a bunker. I played it out using my P wedge and as it happens a fine powder was left on the club face. When I hit my next chip I noticed the tell tale sign of contact way out on the toe of the club. A few more chip shots and the accumulated grass on the face of the club from the road trip suggested some time might be well spent addressing the problem.

Perhaps it was the TPI training. Perhaps it was the ball striking masterclass I did a while back. Perhaps it was just the cold weather affecting my brain. Who knows, but it occurred to me that it was worth checking whether I was standing up out of the shots. That might be causing me to compensate with my hands causing the toe of the club to come into play.

And sure enough a bit of focus on spine angle did the trick. I wondered briefly what would happen if I didn't stand up a bit through impact. Visions of hitting the ground six inches before the ball came to mind. But no, all of a sudden everything just got a whole lot easier.

But how to check that the problem was gone. I tried putting sand on the face of my club but that was inconclusive. Instead I put a tee into the ground next to the ball. The idea was that if I hit the tee then I must have also hit the ball off the toe of the club. It worked well.

I wondered how brave I should be because I was tempting fate by hitting so close to the hosel of the club. I did clip the tee a few times but not enough to worry about. I didn't hit any off the hosel. I was surprised by the difference in spin and launch angle of my shots. I even played some five or six metre shots with my 56 degree wedge.

So there you have it. Who'd have thought that maintaining posture during chip and short pitch shots was important? Not me for sure. I figured it was all in the arm and wrist action. I'll try my tee in the ground drill next time I'm working on mechanics that's for sure.

By then I was so cold I just headed home.

• Weetbix, RobNewy and hack2489 like this

#68 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14570 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:29 PM

Welcome to Melbourne. It warms up around December. LoL

18.4 by the end of. 2018  - 4.7 to go

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#69 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:31 AM

Back to Kingston Heath and more work on the practice areas this week. Tuesday is often a trade day but this week it wasn't. Over the weekend I checked the time sheets and it looked like things would be quiet. I thought I'd go down, hit a bucket of balls and then play six holes. When I arrived there were players all over the practice green. I couldn't figure out why. In casual chat on the practice tee I asked what was happening. The response was that it was always like this on Wednesdays. Yes folks, I had lost a day somewhere. Sometimes I worry myself.

So back to the never ending story which seems to characterize my practice these days. I've been doing some work on my putting. I've got to say that I am all at sea on the greens. Mostly it is due to speed. Whereas the practice green at Cairns is too small to practice 40 or 50 foot putts, the practice putting green at Kingston Heath is big enough to practice those lengths without going any where near the edges of the greens. I haven't checked but I think you could easily practice 60 or 70 foot putts on flattish ground and maybe 120 or 130 foot putts over the slopes. It's truly massive. And unlike FNQ it is not a bermuda variant but a bent grass variant. A4 or A1 or something from memory. And of course I have no local knowledge because I have never spent much time on the greens. And I am told that the mowing has been stepped up from twice a week to three times a week. And they look just a bit like Royal Melbourne's greens used to in the 70s which is to say that they don't look like they've got much grass on them at all.

Sorry, I digress. In summary I have been hitting quite a few nice putts from 40 and 50 feet. Mostly they roll to a stop somewhere within a putter length. On the other hand I have been measuring some of the wronguns. It is not uncommon for what I think is a good putt at impact only to have the ball finish 10 or 12 feet from the hole. It is also not uncommon for me to misread shorter putts and watch in amazement as misses on the low side roll several feet away at apparent right angles. I feel like the lawn bowler who has got the bias wrong.

I hasten to add that the greens are rolling perfectly. If you hit the same putt three times then it will roll the same way three times. As they say in professional writing any errors are purely my own.

Work on my finesse shots is coming along. It's really nice to play off firm turf. You can really feel the bounce on wedges doing its stuff.

I submitted my first attempt on rotation to rotaryswing.com. I knew it would rate a fail and it did. I'm yet to be convinced that I am physically capable of 45 degrees of separation between my hips and shoulders. Even worse is that my sequencing on the downswing is such that I lose what separation I do have very early.

Interestingly my instructor quite liked my upper body movement. That pleased me because I have been working hard on posture to improve my ability to turn. As I more or less knew my focus on upper body rotation has buggered up my leg and hip action and my weight shift. In particular I am simply not loading properly into my right side on the way back. The result is that I'm making it hard for myself to move my legs and hips properly on the down swing.

Weather permitting it's back to the practice fairway for me today. Thursday was great. I sooked out yesterday because of some light drizzle. I haven't ventured outside today but the forecast maximum is 14, the weather radar looks promising and the trees outside my window look pretty still.

Yes. After lunch I'm definitely going out to practice. Maybe.

• Jack_Golfer and hack2489 like this

#70 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 04 October 2018 - 07:56 PM

Played a few holes at Kingston Heath today. The tees were well forward and apart from a bit of wind the weather was ok as long as I kept warm by moving. It was around 2pm when I started and the course was pretty quiet.

On the first (about 390m) I hit a drive to the top of the hill and had about 170m to the front edge. I say about because I left my distance laser in the car and relied on the distances marked on the sprinkler heads. Slightly downwind I thought my hybrid might land just short or on and run up to the hole. It felt good but came down about 5 metres short of the green and stopped on the front edge. The pin was just past the centre of the green. All enthusiastic I paced out the putt and was a bit daunted to estimate it at just over 60 feet. After my recent experience being all at sea on the practice green I was pleased to see my putt roll up to less than a putter length from the hole. A two putt par on this hole was a very encouraging start.

The nineteenth was in play at about 125m. For those who don't know the hole it runs from behind the first green to behind the second tee. It has recently been reworked and I think the new version looks like it has always been there. Or at least it will when the foliage grows in. At any rate I figured an 8I into the breeze was the go. A not so good shot found the front left bunker. From there it was an average bunker shot to about 20 feet and two putts for an easy bogey.

The tee on the 2nd was far enough forward for me to hit a 3W on an unintentionally tight line just right of the fairway bunkers. I figured it would be a wedge from there but the sprinkler was marked 108m from the front edge and the pin looked maybe another 15m back. I hit a very nice 8I pin high. It turned out to be around 25ft from the hole with the pin just the other side of a slight rise. Needless to say I putted 10ft past but was very pleased to hole the return putt for a par.

Into the breeze on the 3rd I figured that I had nothing to gain by playing less than a driver. My plan was to put it around 50m short of the green. As it turns out I pulled the drive and watched is sail toward the ti tree behind the left fairway bunker. Only instead of sailing into the ti tree it dropped into the bunker about 180m from the tee and 80m from the front edge according to the sprinkler. I figured on about 100m to the pin plus an extra club for the breeze and playing out of the bunker. I hit the most perfect 9I catching it just right. I watched it fly waiting for it to land in the middle of the green and bounce up to the pin. Only it didn't. Instead it landed just on the front edge and spun back off the green. No problem. I paced it out at about 65ft and confidently putted it 20ft short of the hole. My second putt just missed and so did my four footer coming back. A four putt double bogey was a bit deflating.

The 4th was downwind and played around 330m. After a nice drive I had a 75m pitch to a forward pin. I was pleased with my pitch but came up about 20ft short. Two putts gave me an easy par.

The 5th was playing around 155m. My 6I landed near the front of the green and rolled to a bit under 20ft. Two putts gave me an easy par.

The 6th was playing around 370m into the breeze. I knew my tee shot wasn't quite right but was still disappointed to see it fail to carry the right hand bunker. I was pleased just to hack a 9I out of a very bad lie under the lip. From there it was about 150m to a forward pin. I pulled it slightly and it ran into a dip left of the green. Much to my surprise the chip shot was dead straight up a very gentle rise. Even more to my surprise was that my chip shot finished only a few inches from the hole.

I was surprised at how short my tee shot was on the par 5 7th considering I thought I hit it pretty well. Doubts can often prove fatal and sure enough my doubt about how well I needed to hit my second was confirmed by an appalling strike into the cross bunker which causes bigger hitters to lay back on the tee shot. Still, after a 7I out of the bunker and an 8I just left of the green I figured I was in for another up and down. Three putts later and I had another double bogey on the card.

A not quite right tee shot on the 8th (playing around 380m) left me 180m into the breeze. I figured a 3W was my best option but repeated my appalling strike from the 7th. Nice pitch to 20ft and two putts for bogey.

From there I skipped over to the 17th (playing around 410m). My tee shot rolled on to the start of the hill about 170m from the pin. A poor 4I put me pin high on the right of the green about 70ft from the hole. I figured my putt would break about 5ft but it ran almost dead straight. Two putts later and another I had another bogey.

I was happy when my drive down the left side of 18 (playing around 380m) bounced right. I was less happy to find it has still just caught the very edge of the right most bunker. It looked surprisingly playable with a shallow lip and at about 130m from the front edge I figured a 6I might be the right club. I hit the shot so fat that it didn't even carry out of the bunker. A shot out, a pitch on and two putts gave me another double bogey.

Ten over for eleven holes. It's a really good idea to stay out of the fairway bunkers at KH and not all that hard to do so. I went in 4. The wind was probably stronger than I thought at first but my shots into the wind were very weak. When I look at how far forward the tees were today it is pretty clear that I am severely underpowered. If you keep putting from distance you are always going to misread or misjudge and leave missable second putts.

I really don't know what to think. The course is just great. My play simply isn't up to it. I'm sure I've written something about persistence. I hope it works because it's all I've got.

• hack2489 likes this

#71 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36200 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:11 AM

How are you getting access to Kingston Heath?? as a visiting guest or some sort of deal??   Just interested for a friend.   ;)   

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​

Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

​Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#72 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:17 AM

How are you getting access to Kingston Heath?? as a visiting guest or some sort of deal??   Just interested for a friend.   ;)   

I've been an absentee member there for a long time.

• Francie likes this

#73 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:06 PM

After yesterday's discombobulating performance I played thirteen holes at KH today.

Two scungy shots up the first left a 60m pitch over the bunkers. My nice pitch was not nice enough and my 12ft putt just missed.

Again into the bunker on 19, this time the right bunker. At least it was pin high. A chunked bunker shot to 15ft and another near miss.

Nice drive on 2 followed by a 8I to 18 ft and an easy two putt par.

Nice drive faded away from the left bunkers on 3 followed by a pitch to 20ft and an easy two putt par.

Pulled drive into the left bunker on 4. Didn't quite catch my 8I out. Nice pitch from 30m but not nice enough to save par.

Unbelievably awful 5I tee shot on 5 left a 9I second from a clear spot in among the bracken. Hacked into the left bunker. Good bunker shot to 15ft and almost holed bogey putt. Note to self: stay away from that left bunker.

Strong tee shot (for me) on 6. Blocked 7I into right trap. Very good bunker shot to 6ft and holed putt to save par.

Strong tee shot (for me) on 7. Scungy second close to ti tree on left. Happy to find ti tree cut well back. Worried about interference on backswing and dropped 60m pitch into left bunker. Very good bunker shot to 6ft and holed putt to save par.

Strong tee shot (for me) on 8. Hybrid from 170m to about 50ft. Easy two putt for par.

Before teeing off on 9 I did a laser check how far it was to the ti tree at the end of the dog leg. The measurement of 245m confirmed that there was no reason to hit less than driver. Nice drive and pitch to 45ft left a treacherous downhill putt. My guess to play it like a 30ft putt paid off and left a tap in for par.

Ten was out of play. After confirming with the laser that I wasn't going to carry the fairway bunker on 11 I carefully focused on a target to the left and then neatly drove straight into the bunker. A fat 8I out followed by a nice 8I to 30ft and two putts for a bogey.

It was my first look at the new back, back, back tee on 12. When I first played KH the twelfth was about 430m. From the new back, back, back tee it will be 559m. The good news for me is that I doubt very much that I could even reach the central fairway bunker from there let alone fly over it as I used to do. That bunker was moved toward tee when the hole was first lengthened. I look forward to seeing how it plays in the Australian Open in 2020 but it is no longer an easily reachable par 5.

But I digress. My tee shot was weak and found the central fairway bunker. Much to my surprise it was in a shallow part of the bunker on a firm lie with no lip to speak of. Inspired by hitting some fat fairway bunker shots recently I came up with a cunning plan which could not fail.

My ingenious plan was to use my hybrid and open the face so that if I hit it fat the club would still bounce off the sand and produce a reasonable shot. So convinced was I about my plan my first, second, third and fourth failures didn't phase me but had me contemplating a sort of Happy Gilmore like fifth attempt which almost cleared the almost non-existent lip and finished in the next, deeper part of the bunker. From there I invoked the mercy clause and my lift and throw found a good lie in the fairway. Two nice shots and two putts gave me an estimated 23 + penalties. Note to self: look up the Guiness Book of Records for the stupidest attempt ever to escape an innocuous bunker.

Fittingly my drive on 13 bounced left into the last of the fairway bunkers giving me an opportunity to reprise my stupidity. This time however I hit a slightly fat wedge to about 30m from the pin, played yet another nice but not quite nice enough putt to about 12ft and two putted for an easy bogey.

So for thirteen holes, 4 greens in regulation, 6 pars, 5 bogeys, 1 doubles and 1 other.

Apart from playing like a recovering bunkerholic my upper back was quite sore by the end so I'll give the monthly medal a miss tomorrow. It's an awfully long walk back to the club house if I break down on 14 or 15.

Much hard work awaits but somehow I remain optimistic that once I master getting out of the bunkers (I mean me not the ball) improvement just might follow.

• hack2489 likes this

#74 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 06 October 2018 - 06:21 AM

Nice 'innocuous' bunker effort 😲

#75 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:45 AM

Yesterday was mostly a day of recovery. My first 18 hole game without a cart will have to wait a little while. I decided to hit a bucket of about 30 balls on the practice fairway instead. As it happened one of the target greens was just under 100m from where I was hitting so the P wedge was my club of choice.

One consistent element of my instruction at rotaryswing.com is the use of a couple of model swings. For example he might draw a few lines on my swing and put it up along side an exemplar. Recently I've been trying to hinge from the hips and adopt a more tilted posture when viewed down the line. My latest review advised me to keep my right knee flexed on the backswing and to avoid any buckling out over my right foot. Both were caused by my effort to increase my shoulder turn on the backswing. Without the flexibility to do it properly I had unwittingly adopted a damaging work around.

When I reviewed my swing videos from my last outing I noticed that when viewed down the line my left knee was also getting into a strange position. At the top of the backswing it was out past the toe line. Such a big movement was plainly going to make it hard to get back to a consistent position at impact and detracted from the ability of my legs and hips to provide stability on the downswing.

It seemed to me that it might be a balance issue. When I reviewed my set up against the criteria applied for passing that review I noticed a few things. In summary in my enthusiasm to swing with my upper body bent more over the ball I had mucked up my alignments. One was that instead of the join between the back of my head and my neck being over my toe line it was two or three inches further out toward the ball. That seemed to tally with my tendency to stand up a bit on the downswing which produces better balance. It also explained why my left knee was kicking out so far on the backswing. If it hadn't been I might have almost fallen flat on my face.

So with my setup in better alignment maintaining a better right knee position on the backswing was much easier and my left knee also stayed in a better position without any conscious effort. After about 10 balls I noticed that every shot had landed on the target green. A few balls later one went in the hole. Of course once I became aware of what I was doing I missed a couple in the end including one serious pull but hitting shot after shot onto the green provided a much needed boost to my ego. So did a steady rise in club head speed from the low 60s to the low 70s without any effort to do so. Swing videos showed that I was maintaining my head position nicely again without any effort to do so.

A bit of balance can go a long way.

• hack2489 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users