#31 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:25 PM

Back to the practice range today and back to basic mechanics. Checked setup for ball position and axis tilt. Checked for weight shift onto right ankle on back swing and steady right leg line. Checked for left hip turn and weight shift onto left ankle on down swing. Checked for passive right hip on downswing.

All were ok except quieting my right hip down took quite a while. Lots of slow motion, lots of careful scrutiny of video and about twenty balls in an hour got things looking the way I wanted.

Now to upload my videos for review at rotaryswing.com. Third time lucky?

Oh, and I registered for the TPI Level 1 training in Sydney next month. I've decided to turn it into a road trip ending up in Melbourne in early October. I'm looking forward to seeing my mother and two of my children, not to mention some golf on those wonderful courses.Somebody please tell me there will be some warm days down there at that time of year.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 09 August 2018 - 05:29 PM.

#32 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35404 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:08 PM

Oh, and I registered for the TPI Level 1 training in Sydney next month. I've decided to turn it into a road trip ending up in Melbourne in early October. I'm looking forward to seeing my mother and two of my children, not to mention some golf on those wonderful courses.Somebody please tell me there will be some warm days down there at that time of year.

The Iseek National event has been held in that month a few times over the last few years.   Not sure about warm days but it's usually pretty windy.   How long will you be down?

• Madam likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#33 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:37 PM

The Iseek National event has been held in that month a few times over the last few years.   Not sure about warm days but it's usually pretty windy.   How long will you be down?

We are planning to stay down until the New Year, maybe through to March. Earlier this year I enjoyed playing late afternoon on some perfect evenings with the added bonus of daylight savings time. I look forward to more of that. All I've got to do is to get my fitness up a bit so I can play without having to rest a few days between games.

I played in the seniors event at the Heritage in January. Hopefully I'll fit in a few more of those too.

• Francie likes this

#34 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14244 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:47 PM

Its always the same time each year Francie- you just dont remember since you are pretty smashed MR Inawwwgru;)!

We are planning to stay down until the New Year, maybe through to March. Earlier this year I enjoyed playing late afternoon on some perfect evenings with the added bonus of daylight savings time. I look forward to more of that. All I've got to do is to get my fitness up a bit so I can play without having to rest a few days between games.

I played in the seniors event at the Heritage in January. Hopefully I'll fit in a few more of those too.

17-23 Oct 2019 Bellarine Peninsula-  so may just miss you!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#35 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 10 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

No golf today. I'm playing at Cairns tomorrow and, after being mystified on Wednesday followed by a nice session on basics yesterday, I decided to let the dust settle.

Instead I started watching the videos and reading the web site for the TPI Level 1 course in Sydney. The videos have a high production value and the program looks very well thought out. I had already seen some of the content at mytpi.com so those interested can get a taste there.

Having enjoyed the Red Arrow trail last week I decided to do it again today. The good news is that once again it was a lovely walk in the shade with quite a few steps to climb. The bad news is that my wife had a twisted ankle and couldn't do the walk. Maybe due to my marginally faster pace my blood sugar went low mid walk and stayed low for an hour or so. All is well now but I am revising my medication regime. I can't recommend diabetes to anybody.

#36 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

Monthly medal day at Cairns. For reasons I don't understand it was played on the shorter white course. As usual it was very pleasant weather with a maximum of around 28C and just enough breeze to keep cool.

After Wednesday's strange play I wasn't quite sure whether Dr Jekyll or Mr Hyde would show up. It turned out to be a bit of both.

Playing off the tenth I started well enough with a nice drive and 6I to about twenty feet for an easy two putt par. My attempt at birdie was a sign of things to come because I mis-hit the putt and left it about two feet short. Another 6I on eleven over the water finished a few feet off the green. Again I mis-hit the putt and left it about two feet short. Unexpectedly then came twelve. My drive ran a bit too far into the fairway trap on the left. From there I had 185m over water to the green. Sensibly enough I punched out an 8I short of the water.

The good news is that turned out to be the last green I missed until eleven holes later on the fifth. Even better news were my birdies on two (314m) from about four feet and four (373m) from about twenty feet.

The bad news is that after a weak pitch on twelve I three putted from about fifty feet, on fourteen I three putted from about fifty feet, on fifteen I three putted from about forty feet, on sixteen I three putted from about thirty feet and on eighteen I three putted from about fifty feet.

The final blot on my copybook was a missed birdie putt from about six feet on nine (343m). And before anybody asks I was quite sure I was going to make it. Poor impact was the culprit as it was so often during the round.

The whole thing was quite strange. I haven't hit fourteen greens in regulation for quite a while. I haven't hit so many approaches so far from the pins for quite a while. I don't recall ever having five three putts in seven holes.

It's a bit hard to know what to think of my score of 78 against par 71. The most negative thing is that my blood sugar levels were way out of whack and much too high. My thinking on the way around seemed ok at the time but I did seem like I was in some sort of mental fog.

The most positive thing I can think is that my ball striking is coming along and I am confident I will break par some time in the next six moths or so. Onwards and upwards!

#37 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41669 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:01 PM

They are some looooong putts - not surprising (especially if the medal greens are slippery) that they’re not easy to 2 putt
  • Forrest Gardener likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#38 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:56 AM

They are some looooong putts - not surprising (especially if the medal greens are slippery) that they’re not easy to 2 putt

Yes. You can get some really long putts at Cairns when the pins are at the front or the back. The greens were not quite as quick as they were on Wednesday. The tricky thing is that they have wonderful subtle contours which can make players look quite silly when you get out of position. That was me yesterday. That and for some reason I just wasn't hitting my putts in the sweet spot.

Never mind. Step one is to get my blood sugar levels under better control. Then see what I can do with a clearer mind. Despite yesterday I have always regarded long putting as a strength.

#39 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:10 PM

A quiet day today.Third time was not lucky and I failed my assessment at rotaryswing.com again. Last time my left side impact position was fine with my left leg posted up nicely over my left ankle. I only had to put in some axis tilt and move my weight better onto my right leg at the top of the back swing. No prizes for guessing that this time my left side was the problem with my left hip moving too far left so that it was not over my left ankle at impact.

Talk about nailing jelly to a tree. The assessment was correct. I have struggled for quite a while with my shift left just sort of floating forward without bracing. I fixed it by not shifting properly to the right then I broke it again by when I fixed my shift to the right.

Such is life. I practiced on the six hole course at the Cairns Golf Centre. I was pleased with the more penetrating flight on my wedge shots. The highlight was a 73m pitch with my 56* wedge on the second hole. Not so long ago it was strictly 50m maximum with a back swing to left arm horizontal. The extra twenty metres with the same length swing was most welcome. Even better was that it landed within a metre of the hole.

Oh, and I had a much better day with my blood sugar levels. Not only that but according to my BMI I am now officially overweight not obese. Or at least I was this morning but I did have a bit to eat and drink at lunch. Still the trend is in the right direction.

• Jack_Golfer likes this

#40 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2246 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:19 PM

A quiet day today.Third time was not lucky and I failed my assessment at rotaryswing.com again. Last time my left side impact position was fine with my left leg posted up nicely over my left ankle. I only had to put in some axis tilt and move my weight better onto my right leg at the top of the back swing. No prizes for guessing that this time my left side was the problem with my left hip moving too far left so that it was not over my left ankle at impact.

Talk about nailing jelly to a tree. The assessment was correct. I have struggled for quite a while with my shift left just sort of floating forward without bracing. I fixed it by not shifting properly to the right then I broke it again by when I fixed my shift to the right.

Such is life. I practiced on the six hole course at the Cairns Golf Centre. I was pleased with the more penetrating flight on my wedge shots. The highlight was a 73m pitch with my 56* wedge on the second hole. Not so long ago it was strictly 50m maximum with a back swing to left arm horizontal. The extra twenty metres with the same length swing was most welcome. Even better was that it landed within a metre of the hole.

Oh, and I had a much better day with my blood sugar levels. Not only that but according to my BMI I am now officially overweight not obese. Or at least I was this morning but I did have a bit to eat and drink at lunch. Still the trend is in the right direction.

Hi Forrest,
What do you think is the reason for the increase in your wedge distance? I had a similar problem with my wedges and I found it was mostly due to club throwaway.

#41 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 12 August 2018 - 09:38 PM

Hi Forrest,
What do you think is the reason for the increase in your wedge distance? I had a similar problem with my wedges and I found it was mostly due to club throwaway.

My single most un-favourite swing characteristic is that I have good lag at left harm horizontal on the way down, and even when the club gets to vertical on the way down, but by the time my hands are in front of my right leg the lag is almost entirely gone. I think that's what you describe as throwaway.

The two improvements are weight shift and lead shoulder position at impact.

The improved weight shift means that even without trying I am leading more with my left arm so lag is maintained a little longer and I am definitely releasing the club better. In turn this gets me an increase in club head speed. In rough terms my pitching wedge club head speed on a left arm horizontal back swing shot has increased from around 64 mph to around 70 mph.

The second thing is that the better mechanics mean that I can reliably get my left shoulder over my left ankle and a little ahead of the ball at impact. In his short game book James Sieckman recommends this technique for distance wedge shots. I really like his ideas.

• Jack_Golfer likes this

#42 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 16 August 2018 - 08:13 PM

I've taken a couple of days away from golf trying to rest my right shoulder blade. The physio said it was referred pain from higher up. As it turns out I need to straighten up my upper spine so my head sits more upright and learn to rotate my neck. I don't like my chances of major change but it sounds worthwhile even if it seems like hard work.

So, back to the practice range and more work on weight shift. My current task is three fold. First get my weight over the right ankle on the back swing while keeping the right leg in a steady position when viewed front on. Second to move my weight over my left ankle early in the down swing while turning my hips to maintain spine angle when viewed down the line. Third maintain my right leg position on the downswing when viewed down the line so that the right heel stays on the ground until impact.

My shift to the right looks good on video. As for the other two I can do either one more or less at will but not both. As the saying goes, two out of three ain't bad. Definitely a work in progress.

And so to the practice putting green. First was practicing chipping to each hole with my favourite game of getting three balls all within a putter length. I really shouldn't have been so focused on technique but three things emerged. First is that I'm gradually relaxing on my back swing so that the club face rotates open (good). Second is that I still have some work to do keeping the club face open on the down swing. My shoulders just seem to want to close the club face and my lower body seems happy to let them. Third is that I have some weird overly active stuff going on with my hands through impact. It was amazing how much better flight I got with a more passive release.

Last I did James Sieckman's 25 ball assessment of my putting mechanics. In short it amounts to putting five times over a five cent coin two feet away from each of five positions - uphill 6 ft putt, uphill 12 ft putt, right to left 6 ft putt, left to right 5 ft putt and down hill 6 ft putt. All went well on the first four tests. I hit the coin on 18 out of 20 putts. The down hill putts were not so good with only one out of five hits. I would not have predicted that I'd be so different on up hill and down hill putts.

All very interesting and lots to work on.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 16 August 2018 - 08:20 PM.

#43 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2409 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:52 PM

A good read but I'd question your thoughts on keeping the right foot down on the down swing until impact ? If you look at the majority of solid ball strikers they all have their right foot rotating up, around and out during impact. This is a well balanced move that helps your impact position. Maybe it's contributing to the posture and shoulder problems ?

Jon... 

• Forrest Gardener likes this

#44 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 17 August 2018 - 09:00 AM

A good read but I'd question your thoughts on keeping the right foot down on the down swing until impact ? If you look at the majority of solid ball strikers they all have their right foot rotating up, around and out during impact. This is a well balanced move that helps your impact position. Maybe it's contributing to the posture and shoulder problems ?

Jon... 

Thanks Jon. I agree.

There are two reasons why I'm going with the right foot down approach. First is the trivial one that is what is prescribed by the rotaryswing.com system and the instructor who reviews my swings. It's one of their check points and its either their way or the highway.

Second is that over the years my action has drifted well away from the motion you describe. My right knee action in particular really does need to be calmed down. It is definitely not adding to stability at impact.

I do think that my shoulder blade problem is related to the changes to my leg and hip action. The good news is that I am not suffering from the pain just above my right hip which ended my last two seasons. I'll talk it over with my physio at my next session.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#45 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 17 August 2018 - 04:44 PM

I went to Cairns GC with nine holes practice on the course in mind. I arrived just in time to see a shot gun start for a trade day. The good news was that the putting green and the practice range were free.

More chipping to a putter length. This time I did each of the holes first using my P wedge then each of the holes using my 56* wedge. Little by little I am developing feel. Little by little my technique is improving. Little by little I'm ironing out the kinks. Like most people I guess I do better with my P wedge for chips just off the green which is pretty much all the space around the practice green at Cairns allows for.

Then onto a remedial session for those downhill putts. I started by trying to putt six footers over a 5c coin two feet away. There were two distinct sorts of result. Three or four out of five rolled straight over the target coin. Then for no apparent reason I'd miss by about an inch to the left of the coin. My wife checked my stroke for unexpected knee movement, hip movement and shoulder movement. Then she hit on a likely suspect. When I missed my head and shoulders moved just before impact. It was as if I wanted to miss on the left.

The first thing I check with head movement is what my eyes are doing. Sure enough I was losing my mental picture of the line to the target and my eyes were wandering during the stroke unsuccessfully trying to find it again. A few putts later and I was convinced that I was keeping track of the line to the coin. I then tested the idea by trying to get five putts in a row to roll over the coin. Bingo. Even with the anxiety of the fifth putt to win my way off the green I felt quite sure where the target was and rolled the ball straight over the coin. All up it took about twenty minutes. Time well spent in my book.

Feeling quite pleased with myself I then hit some balls on the practice range. Same old triple goal of shifting weight back, shifting weight down and improving right leg stability. Same old two out of three result. After about twenty balls I lost concentration and started chopping it. For my last dozen or so balls I focused on club head path, impact and ball flight to get some respectability back. At least it left me feeling reasonably confident I can do some first aid if my ball striking goes wrong in tomorrow's round.

I tell myself that most of my best rounds have been after chopping it during warm up. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 17 August 2018 - 04:51 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users