#151 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

My most recent swing review came through this morning. My instructor advised to work on keeping right foot down and right knee back early in down swing. That ties in nicely with the hip rotation work I've been doing. Done properly it is a bit like the old drill of keeping a small basket ball between the knees on the down swing. It looks more stable and feels really good when I get it right.

Stableford comp off the blue tees at KH today. Southerly breeze. Course in really good condition with the greens fully recovered from the recent coring and top dressing. Bunkers firmer too, at least for the ones I went in.

Started from seven. Nice 9I pitch to about 12ft for two putt par. Drive and hybrid short on eight. Nice pitch to about 6ft for two putt bogey. Easy par on nine with 3W and P landing next to the hole and two putts from 20ft.

Birdie on ten from 20ft. Pulled 7I approach on eleven and putted up the bank because I didn't think I could pull off a lofted finesse shot. Two putts for bogey. Another birdie on twelve after two woods and a smooth 8I to 8ft.

Drove into short fairway bunker on thirteen. Fatted bunker shot into next bunker. Fatted bunker shot to fairway. Nice pitch to 15ft. Two putts for double bogey. Two reasonable woods on fourteen followed by an awful fat pulled approach shot which somehow missed the front bunker and found the green. Three putts from 50ft for bogey. Fifteen out of play. Weak tee shot on sixteen followed by hybrid to 40m and a nice pitch shot to 8ft. Two putts for bogey.

Nice drive and hybrid on seventeen. Two putts from about 50ft. Good drive on eighteen followed by 8I to a forward pin. Just failed to make putting surface. Three putts for bogey. Weak drive on one followed by pushed 3W into first bunker. Good P wedge from sand to about 20ft. Two putts for bogey.

Six iron on nineteen to about 50ft. Four putts for double bogey. Nice drive and 5I to 10ft on two. Two putts for par. Scungy drive and 9I to 15ft behind the pin on three. Before putting down the steepish slope I recalled the wisdom of the old adage to always play approaches on the sand belt under the hole. After putting 5ft short I recalled another old adage never to leave downhill putts short. Holed second putt for par.

Good but short drive on four. Pulled 7I left of green (should have hit hard 8I). Chipped to 6ft. Two putts for bogey. Shanked 4I on fifth. Hacked out. Hit nice finesse shot to 8ft. Two putted for double bogey. Another good but short drive on six followed by a beautiful faded 3W. Sadly I was lacking power by this stage and it only found the front of the green. Three putts from 60ft to finish the round.

The good news was a couple of early birdies to be even par after six holes played. The not so good news was a low blood sugar emergency which spoiled my day after the good start. All good swing feels and putting touch went right out the window. The bad news was a weak finish including two double bogeys on the par threes late in the round. I think I was just plain worn out.

Eighty four for 32 stableford points. Fitness and shot quality slowly improving. Pitching and finesse shots a little better. Putting needs some work. The vagaries of the handicap system have me back down to 7.1 despite a "played to" score of +12.

Must, must, must monitor my blood sugar levels during my rounds. Once detected and fixed a low blood sugar leaves me non compos mentus for about an hour afterwards and I hit ridiculous shots. That's what happened today on 13 and 14.

Now to see whether I can recover by Monday for the senior's comp at Eastern. I've managed to draw the first tee in the shotgun start. Just call me lucky.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 19 January 2019 - 06:31 PM.

Titleist Performance Institute Certified

forrestgardener.wordpress.com
Golflink

#152 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:14 PM

“Lucky”
Keeping track of your BSL ( blood sugar level) can be hit and miss sometimes because if your low you need to go for a leak and if your high you need to go for a leak. I was testing mine after 9 holes so I could do what was needed. You probably know what works and what does not but maybe Melbourne weather is putting your normal bsl out of whack and you just have eat some snacks to keep it at a level your happy with.
Good luck Monday.
  • Forrest Gardener likes this

#153 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

Played in the senior's competition at Eastern Golf Club today. I'd not played the course before. There are 27 holes and a nine hole par 3 course at the facility. The course was in very good condition, quite wide playing corridors and a Norman design feel. Holes 1 to 18 off the blue tees were used. It was a a lovely sunny day. I was expecting a temperature in the high 20C mark or around 80F. As it turned out the day was around 34C (93F). In the end it was too much for me.

The first (296m) was a nice drive and pitch from 80m to about 10ft. The putt had quite a bit of break and was a little downhill. In the end I was pleased with a two putt par. The second (478m) was a lucky drive which just missed the central bunker, a heely top down the bank on the left, a poor 7I to the fringe, a nice but misjudged chip to 8ft and a lucky putt. The third (418m) was a nice drive followed by a 180m 3W aimed away from the water on the left and into the bunker on the right. My bunker shot was reasonable but with the steep down hill slope was never going to be close. Two putts for a bogey.

The fourth (357m) was a weak pull into the left rough followed by what I thought was a great 7I over the deep green side bunker to a pin set back and right. As it turned out a 6I was the club and my ball buried hard up against the lip of the bunker on a very steep upslope. Inevitably it took me two to get out and about 10 minutes to rake the bunker. Two putts for a double bogey. The fifth (326m) was a mis-hit pulled tee shot into perfect position. This time I took an extra club (8I) and just hung on the back of the green. Two putts for par.

By this stage I was pretty worn out. The early holes at Eastern are only pleasantly undulating but it was too much for me. The sixth (152m) was a pull into the bunker for no apparent reason. Quite a good bunker shot to about 8ft and a putt which couldn't have missed by much less. The seventh (364m) was a weak drive and a hybrid to about 18ft. Two putts for par. I'd really had enough by then and wasn't too surprised by a shank on the eighth (171m). A nice pitch shot left about 18ft down hill. My first putt was so short that three putts was a mere formality.

On the ninth (495m) tee one of my playing partners asked if I was able to continue. I figured that the down hill hole would at least get me back to the club house and hoped I would get a second wind. As it turned out two reasonable shots and a good pitch left me a 12ft birdie putt which I duly holed. Against my wife's protests I continued onto the back nine. Ten (386m) was a weak drive followed by a hybrid short and left. That was my first experience onto the native area. A hacked pitch followed by a holed 20ft putt gave me an unlikely par. Eleven (502m) was more of a struggle and I was not able to keep up with my group. My drive was so weak it didn't reach the trouble. My second found a fairway bunker. My first attempt didn't escape. My second attempt was a beauty to about 15ft and again the putt went in for an unlikely par.

For some reason I continued onto the twelfth (394m). I thought my drive was ok but it was at least 100m behind my playing partners.  I hit a 3W second but by the time I reached my marker's ball it was time to pull the plug. I was happy to see one of the organisers arrive in a cart to pick me up. By the time we got back to the club house the idea that I could ever have finished the round looked even more ridiculous.

I see from the results that eight other players failed to finish. On the other hand two of my playing partners shot 76 and 78 respectively. Well done to them. The winning score was one under par 71 which was pretty impressive.

As for me the big test was whether I could play twice in three days. After only 6 holes the answer was a resounding no and I think it would still have been a no even if the day had been cooler. Back to the drawing board for me.

Golflink

#154 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15130 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

No shame in using a cart on a day like today mate. It gets quite sticky out in the meadowlands of Yering.

18.4 by the end of 2019  - 3.6 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#155 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

No shame in using a cart on a day like today mate. It gets quite sticky out in the meadowlands of Yering.

In the Senior events you have to get a medical clearance for carts if you are under 75 unless the event is cart use only.

#156 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

In the Senior events you have to get a medical clearance for carts if you are under 75 unless the event is cart use only.

Yes. That is the only reason I was not in a cart.

Golflink

#157 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

During summer if the temperature is over 35 i often jump in a cart if I am playing around midday. Depending on my playing partners and if they are walking or carting if I am playing around 8 am I will walk but if I have a couple days of golf I use a cart.

#158 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15130 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

At Gardiners we can use a cart during Summer as a cautionary measure so situations like this do not occur. During the cooler months either over 70 or a Certificate.

#159 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:03 PM

I was in two minds after conking out yesterday but I felt fine and nine holes at Keysborough seemed a good way to test my fitness. As always the course was in very good condition and the combination of a sunny day and cool breeze was very pleasant.

Playing off the white tees and starting on the first (509m) a nice drive, pulled 3W off the fairway and a lucky 70m to about 15ft. Two putts for par. The second (498m) was a pushed drive into the trees, a nice 4I out and a 9I to about 12ft. Two putts for par. The third (148m) was a poor 8I into the bunker, a nice bunker shot to about 10ft and two putts for a bogey.

The fourth (366m) was a pushed drive into the fairway bunker, a nice 8I out and a 40m pitch to about 8ft. Sadly my putt never looked like going in and it was another bogey. The fifth (291m) was a drive into the right rough, a nice pitch from 65m to about six feet and finally I holed a putt for a birdie. The sixth (347m) was a nice 3W through the fairway and a 5I just left of the green. An ordinary chip was close enough to hole my putt, this time for a par. As an added interest Dan and I both decided to hit a second tee shot over the trees on the corner. Both cleared the trees easily but both were too far right. It was interesting to see that 10m further left would have left an easy pitch to the green. Next time for sure.

And on to my nemesis hole. The seventh (457m) was a nice drive down the right hand side leaving 180m to carry the fairway bunker short of the green. My 3W was quite poor and was lucky enough to just miss the bunker and finish under a tree. What should have been an easy chip was made harder by my ball being up against a tree root. It was almost a surprise when my chip came out as planned and finished on the front edge of the green quite close to the pin. A slightly tentative putt left me a nervous putt from 3ft for a par. It was definitely a surprise to see it go in for par. Eight (136m) was a nice 9I to about 15ft but my putt was not as good and I could only manage a par. Nine (401m) was a nice drive quite close to the 150m marker in the middle of the fairway. Into a slight breeze I took the extra club which was fortunate because my 5I was not well struck. Somehow it ended pin high just off the green leaving two putts for an easy par.

So a total of 38 (one over) which I think is my best at Keysborough for a while and that was despite some ordinary shots early on. In the end nine holes was just right fitness wise. Dan was less fortunate suffering from a knee injury from a few weeks ago. As I keep telling my children, don't get old.

• Weetbix and Tochakka like this

Golflink

#160 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 07:37 PM

Getting out and playing 9 might have been the best way to see how you were coping today with no pressure to finish or play well.
If you are diabetic (type 1 or 2) and had a hypo the other day It might take a couple days to fully recover but with the added stress of performing well on Monday it might have been enough yesterday to knock you around.

#161 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15130 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:05 PM

Well played Forest. How were the bunkers?
  • Weetbix likes this

#162 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:34 PM

Getting out and playing 9 might have been the best way to see how you were coping today with no pressure to finish or play well.
If you are diabetic (type 1 or 2) and had a hypo the other day It might take a couple days to fully recover but with the added stress of performing well on Monday it might have been enough yesterday to knock you around.

My sugar levels were abnormally high because I missed my morning medication but I don't think it was a factor. More likely I think is that my general fitness let me down.

• Tochakka likes this

Golflink

#163 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

Well played Forest. How were the bunkers?

Thanks. The bunkers were fine as far as I could tell. Very easy to play from. I think they've done some work recently but it is all quite seamless. They were good for the seniors a couple of weeks back too. The only time I've seen problems in the bunkers have been after some very heavy rain. That seems to knock them about.

One of the things I find about the bunkers at Keysborough though is that I always seem to be taking a fullish swing just to make sure I carry the ball far enough to get out.

Golflink

#164 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

It's been a little longer than usual between updates.

Mostly that has been because I have shied away from playing when the forecast temperature has been higher than about 25C (77F) following my retirement after eleven holes at Eastern a few weeks back. I have been hitting the practice fairway fairly frequently but there hasn't been much to report. What I can report is that I'm now hitting 60 balls per practice session. The first 30 are mostly a bit like a pre-round warm up. As my mechanics improve I hope to increasingly use these for shot making skills testing. The second 30 are working on mechanics. So far I've pulled up without feeling tired or sore. That's progress in itself.

Another factor is that I have been reading a series of articles by Kelvin Miyahira at http://kelvinmiyahiragolf-articles.com. I find his analyses quite fascinating. As an example common instructional advice is to turn the shoulders to keep them perpendicular to the spine. He points out that the spine is in fact curved and asks perpendicular to which part of the spine. I understand that he suffered a stroke not so long ago and is presently not involved in teaching. Hopefully it was not too severe to keep him away permanently but I do know that after my stroke my priorities in life changed significantly. For me it is why I'm playing as much golf as I am. There might not be another chance.

Quite a while ago I learned a little about Homer Kelly's TGM (The Golf Machine). In the end I was put off by non-standard use of terminology like using the word vertical when he meant perpendicular. I was also put off by apparent misunderstanding of concepts like centrifugal force particularly among adherents of TGM. I thought that one day I would like to do my own version of TGM. Thankfully the urge passed.

What I did do in the past few weeks was to look at my arm action to try to figure out why I continually got the hands and club into a pleasing position on the video mid way through the down swing only to throw away any built up lag a few frames later on the video. I was fed up hitting one or two clubs more than everybody else and I was fed up being first to hit after most tee shots.

So I started with the back swing theory from rotaryswing.com (although I've seen similar in lots of places. If you stand straight up and down and keep the shoulders dead still, the ideal arm action is said to be to raise the trail elbow up to just below the pectoral muscle, bent up at a right angle and directly in line with the right shoulder. The lead arm thus is on an angle across the body and is rotated a little so that when viewed from face on the club continues along the line of the lead arm. From there you can bend into posture, rotate the shoulders and end up in a pretty good top of the backswing position.

But what of the down swing? Well why not reverse the action. Standing vertically with no rotation in the shoulders it is a bit like swinging an axe down diagonally back to impact position. For bonus points you can shut the club face on the way down. Of course you just miss your lead leg but at that stage turning the shoulders is almost irrestible. Stage 2 was to get to the top of the backswing, keep the shoulders facing away from the target and use the same chopping motion. Stage 3 was to blend rotation back to the ball. Somewhere along the way there is an urge to put your back into it so that you are more bent over at impact than you were at address.

What happened? Much to my surprise my ball flight was hard and penetrating. Video showed that at the time my hands were in front of my trail leg on the down swing I had retained much more lag. My hands were definitely leading the club into impact.

It was then time to submit my video for review. My instructor wanted to improve my right leg and foot action. I thought that using my trail leg in particular to assist with my axe swinging technique might just do the trick. Sure enough it did. My instructor was pleased and passed me one level further than I even asked for. So I have now completed the "add the club" stage. Only the "add the right arm" stage to go. He did suggest that the next thing to do was to work on the right elbow action as above.

This is getting interesting.

• Tochakka likes this

Golflink

#165 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 18 February 2019 - 06:25 PM

Another longer period between updates.

I have been trying out various ideas in Kelvin Miyahira's articles at http://kelvinmiyahir...f-articles.com/. On my rotaryswing.com instructor's advice I've been trying to get my trail elbow higher at the top of the backswing. I've also been working on rotating better on the downswing and getting a sharper angle of attack at impact and a bunch of other stuff inspired by my SkyPro measurements.

The upshot is that my most recent practice session on Friday was a real hotch-potch. If I hit more than three or four shots in a row working on the same thing it would surprise me. I certainly didn't finish the session with any sort of clear picture going forward. Then I tried to book in a game on Saturday only to find that the field was fully booked. By Saturday morning there were a few gaps but I really didn't feel like rushing to the course after the shambles the day before.

Sunday was a pleasant day and my wife and I visited the Emerald Lake park which is a good place to spend a few hours. And so it was that Monday came around and I went to Keysborough for my weekly game with my friendly pro Dan with only confusion and inaction as preparation.

I wasn't expecting much. I was expecting even less when I hit a skied pull hook onto the trees on the first and then hit a heely low cut out onto the edge of the fairway. WIth 138m to the rear pin I probably should have played a 7I but my early mis-hits and stiffness made 6I my choice. To my surprise it flew straight and true leaving a 6ft birdie putt. Again to my surprise I holed the putt.

Two was another drive into the trees and general bumbling for a bogey. Three was a pushed 7I to about 30ft and two putts for par. Four was a nice drive past the fairway bunker for once, a poorly hit 5I, nice bunker shot and even nicer downhill 6 footer for par.

Five was a skied heely drive, a nice 52* wedge to about 20ft and almost another birdie. Six was a beatiful faded drive around the dogleg except that when we got there it had clipped the last tree and fallen into a cuppy sandy lie. A fat 6I, a mediochre chip and putt and a bogey was on the card.

Then to my nemesis hole. Another skied heely drive and a safe fade left me 76m to the back left pin. I've got to say that I've seen less daunting shots. Long is dead and possibly in the lake. Bunker and drop off left. Narrow green with moderately steep slope if you miss right. Again to my surprise my pitch was good and the resulting 6ft putt went straight in for a birdie.

Eight was a 9I to about 20ft and almost another birdie. Nine was another skied heely drive, a hybrid just short left and a finesse shot followed by yet another 6ft putt for par. Such was my concentration that only after I picked up what I thought was my 56* wedge I realised I had played it with my 52*.

So there we have it. Some really scungy golf and yet the result was even par 36 for the nine.

Perhaps I should play less often.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

Golflink

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Old Poppy