#136 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20689 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:42 PM

When I was studying Abe I was playing regularly with C and comparing what he did to Abe's descriptions. I ended up giving Abe's theories on the pivot back onto the book shelf.

I’m looking into becoming a lawn bowler.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#137 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5672 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:12 PM

Really! I can't picture that. I am looking into being an athlete since I had both knees replaced. I will be a low impact athlete.

#138 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15197 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

a 91 makes you one already

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#139 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:06 AM

Received my most recent swing review this morning. To recap my swing submissions are usually 6I shots taken from the last few balls of a 30 ball practice fairway session. Last time I submitted full driver swings taken on the course. As might have been expected various parts of my motion were not as well controlled as they are for a 6I shot. Not only that but I was working (successfully) on getting my right elbow more elevated on my back swing. As always happens every change causes something else to suffer. In particular my leg action was suspect and I was tending to lose my posture during the downswing.

This time around my instructor was pleased with my tidying up of my leg action. What he recommended was to work on more meaningful torso rotation starting with the take away and continuing through the back swing. That way I will hopefully be in a better position for my legs and torso to drive the down swing rather than my arms and shoulders.

Interestingly Chuck Quinton who created rotaryswing.com and Chris Tyler (my instructor) recently released a video showing a live lesson they gave with a good player (much better than me) where they worked with the student on the same thing  https://www.youtube....h?v=gR0AO8KXYdw . This helped my understanding of what some of the ideas in videos on rotaryswing.com.

Chris recommended I follow a similar course which I will try to do. I also got a reminder from TPI that I had not completed their Level 1 exam. That's another task I really must get to. Tomorrow is forecast to be 40C in Melbourne so it's either go to the National Gallery of Victoria for some culture and indoor coolness or stay inside at home to do the exam or maybe both.

I pulled up fairly well after my game at Lang Lang earlier in the week and the one under par back nine has renewed my appetite for working on my game.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 03 January 2019 - 10:14 AM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Weetbix like this

#140 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

Did some swing work over the last few days. My instructor suggested going back to the core rotation stage. I'm focusing on two things. First I'm trying to get my hips open before impact. Second is to get better loaded up on the back swing.

In working on my hip action I've come to wonder in frustration just what I need to do to get any drive from my lower body. I've seen lots of people giving excellent advice to drive the lead leg into the ground to make the hips turn. Or words to a similar effect. It occurs to me that the reverse is equally possible. If the lead hip is closer to the target line than the lead ankle is then it will both retard the hip turn and cause the player to stand up out of posture. That would be me.

I've been quite pleased over the last few sessions on the practice fairway. In simple terms the first step when viewed down the line is to make my lead knee disappear behind the right knee as it pulls away from the target line. That is harder if the trail knee maintains its position early in the down swing. The results are pleasing. For the first time I can clearly see the belt loops on my back well before impact.

One of the nice things about working on weight shift and the lower body is that the changes can be taken straight to the course. That's what I did today in the Seniors competition at Keysborough. It was a lovely sunny day and the course was in marvelous condition for a field of just under 100 players.

Our group started on the par 5 seventh (457m). I have had misadventures on this hole before. This time my drive was a little further right than I wanted and hit some overhanging trees. It dropped down into a good lie. I played a nice fade back in position with my 3W. Happily the pin was on the right side of the green which left a straightforward shot from 70m. For some reason I left the pitch 10m short of the green. A nice chip to about six feet gave me a chance for a par. And then I noticed that my putt was downhill. I putted softly and was alarmed to see the ball roll ten feet past the hole. Two putts from there and I had a double bogey start.

Two putt pars followed on 8, 9 and 10. One eleven (385m) I hit a nice 7I to about 6 ft and holed the putt for birdie. I was only one over for the nine standing on the sixteenth tee. Sadly three putts on 16, a chip shot which hit an overhanging branch on 17, and an approach which didn't quite carry the bunker on 18 gave me 40 for the nine. The next few holes were uneventful apart from a three putt bogey from 25ft on three (148m) and another bogey after a drive into the fairway bunker on four (366m).

Then came the highlight of the day. On five (295m) I hit an awful tee shot way right into the trees. What presented itself was a neat gap between two big trees about 40m ahead with the pin wide open another 60m away. All that was needed was to keep my recovery shot under overhanging branches. With potential disaster in every direction my 5I took off dead straight, stayed under the branches, landed 30m short of the green and happily stayed in view on the green. It wasn't until we got to the green that we realized the pin was right near the back. As it turns out my ball was only about 18 inches from the hole. What had threatened to completely derail the end of my round turned out to be an easy birdie.

The last hole was six (347m). A scungy 3W off the tee left me 135m to the hole which I knew was right near the back of the green. My 7I was pretty good but finished over the green and down a slope. I actually think it landed just short of the green on a hard patch and just kept running. How I hate that. A nice chip to about 6ft wasn't good enough and my par putt stopped right on the front edge of the hole.

So the end result was 81 (eight over) for a nett 73 (even par). Better thinking my way around the course and a sharper short game might have given me a score in the mid 70s so I was fairly pleased. The winner shot 74 (one over). There were 40 players on lower handicaps than me. My score gave me equal 25th.

I did come home tired, dehydrated and a little sunburnt. Now to see how I pull up tomorrow for another 9 holes at Keysborough.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 07 January 2019 - 05:09 PM.

• Weetbix and Tochakka like this

#141 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3015 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 07 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

See you had a couple of good players in your group, I have played a few seniors events and will try to play a few this year too.
It is easy to get dehydrated and sunburnt if you forget the basics but you won’t be the first or last.

#142 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

See you had a couple of good players in your group, I have played a few seniors events and will try to play a few this year too.
It is easy to get dehydrated and sunburnt if you forget the basics but you won’t be the first or last.

Indeed Steve and Ian are very good players. That was neatly illustrated by their play on our last hole (the 6th). After I hit my scungy 3W both played their drives over the trees on the corner. There was me 135m from the green and there they were about 50m from the front of the green.

Steve was more than a little unlucky to shoot 75. He made a double on 18 which was about his only departure from the fairway and he must have had a half dozen or more putts which shaved the edge of the hole.

Having lived in Cairns for a decade today felt quite cool and pleasant. I played with a jumper on for the first 9 or so. When I took it off I didn't even sweat. It was only when we got home that I realized. Up North you always have a light sweat (or a heavy sweat) and you drink all the time anyway. But I do tend to burn more in Melbourne than I do in Cairns for reasons I don't understand.

What doesn't kill you, ... :)

• Tochakka likes this

#143 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Yesterday afternoon I played another nine at Keysborough.

There were lots of people on the course when we arrived at 3pm. That was ok because it gave us a chance to spend some time hitting a variety of short shots from the edge of the practice green. That was good because most clubs have banned chipping to the practice green.

Eventually we set off. My drive on the first was long and straight. My second left me about 60m short of the pin. My beautifully executed pitch barely made the green. Two putts for a par. The second was similar. A nice drive followed by a lay up with my hybrid. My beautifully executed pitch only left me 15ft short. Again two putts for a par.

As the saying goes, that's when the trouble started. Missed greens on 3, 4 and 5 all brought bogies. Then a three putt from behind the pin on 6 brought another. After my debacle the day before on 7 I wisely aimed my second wide of the bunker short of the green. Then a beautiful draw found me neatly in the very bunker I intended to avoid. That led to fifth bogey in a row.

My beautifully executed 9I to a front pin on 8 found the bunker. I was pleased with my bunker shot but it ran 15ft past. That was six in a row. A nice enough drive on 9 followed by a missed green and a poor chip gave me seven bogies in a row.

We all have days like that but you only have to say that when you under-perform. Even though I hit all but one fairway I was bothered by a lack of distance. Really bothered. Usually I'm a little behind Dan off the tees these days but today he was 40 to 50m longer on most drives. He was hitting well but it was obvious I was pretty feeble.

Just to add more gloom, last week I hit some balls at Skye on Dan's Earnest ES14. That's quite an impressive piece of equipment. It gives ball and club speed as well as launch angle and spin. As others have commented in reviews it is very accurate on well struck shots but less accurate on mis-hits. It is a much better device than my old swing speed radar and at A$660 it is justifiable for many golfers. Well it is at least as justifiable as a new driver. The gloom was my driver swing speed between 89 and 93mph. There's just no way to play competitively against low handicap players with those speeds.

And then this morning I watched a rotaryswing.com video which featured a golfer not too much older than me. The dangers of self-diagnosis are well known but I really feel his pain.

The good news is that I've pulled up tired but not sore. The bad news is a sinking feeling that in a year or two yesterday's standard may be about as good as it gets. Maybe now is a good time to work on distance control from 60m.

Edited by Forrest Gardener, 09 January 2019 - 09:43 AM.

#144 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5672 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

HG how old are you?

#145 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:38 AM

HG how old are you?

#146 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5672 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

That is about the same age I was when I changed my concept of what the golf swing was about. I am 74 now and am a better ball striker than before the changes.
  • BumpunRun and Fill the Dill like this

#147 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20689 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

That is about the same age I was when I changed my concept of what the golf swing was about. I am 74 now and am a better ball striker than before the changes.

Farken fossil.

• Old Poppy likes this

#148 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

Monthly medal at KH. Nice day with a moderate southerly wind. Course in very good condition with the greens more or less recovered from the coring and top dressing. Not particularly convinced about the state of the bunkers which seemed mostly soft with too much sand except where there wasn't enough.

This post has way too much detail but here goes.

Started on 7 (462m) with a lacklustre drive and hybrid leaving me 150m out. Allowing for the wind I hit a 4I and couldn't have hit it better finishing some 25ft past the pin. Never clever to putt from behind the pins at KH but two putts gave me a pleasing par to start. The southerly wind left me 180m out for my second on 8 (398m). My thin 3W landed well short and rolled onto the green. It looked like it would stop close to the hole and then disappeared off the back of the green. As with most holes that meant it rolled a good 10m from the green. My heavy handed putt didn't get close enough to save par. The southerly wind then played a part on 9 (330m). I was surprised to find my 3W reached the cross bunker. By my calculation that means it went around 240m. From there it was easy. A fat bunker shot into the bracken. A hack out onto the sandy waste short of the green. A nice chip 15ft past and two putts for a double.

Ten (127m) was a pushed 8I into the bunker. My feet were in a couple of inches of sand. I then discovered there was next to no sand under my ball. My wide open blade was completely unsuited to the shot. Thankfully the ball stayed on the green and two putts for a bogey was all I could hope for. Eleven (380m) was more of the same. A nice drive left me 160m out. My beautiful 5I covered the flag the whole way, landed just where I wanted it, almost went in the hole and then disappeared over the back of the green finishing about 20m away. Three putts from there for another bogey. The wind was strong enough on 12 (509m) that I had no fear of reaching the central bunker. A nice 3W left me 150m away just like the 7th. Just like the 7th I hit a beautiful 4I. This time it finished about 8ft away. My putt never looked like going in but it was an easy par.

Thirteen (324m) was a blocked tee shot into the trees, a chip out and a beautiful pitch which was never going the right distance followed by two putts for a bogey. Fourteen (516m) was just like the other par 5s with two reasonable shots leaving me 150m from the pin. This time my 4I was just awful and was lucky to make the green side bunker. A not so careful player had a surprise. It was roughly equivalent to a completely buried lie in very thick sand. My first didn't escape and neatly rolled back into the divot I gouged out. My second didn't escape either but left me with a reasonable lie. A reasonable bunker shot and two putts gave me a triple. Fifteen (142m) was easy. A nice 7I to about 10ft and another birdie putt which never looked like it.

Sixteen (391m) was a poorly struck drive followed by a thin 3W which barely escaped the cross bunkers and another beautifully struck pitch from 60m which covered the flag the whole way and then landed 25ft short for another easy bogey. Seventeen (421m) was downwind. A poor drive and hybrid somehow found the green some 70ft from the hole. I was very pleased to almost hole the long putt and score an easy par. My drive on eighteen (391m) left me 160m out. I couldn't bring myself to hit a 7I but instead hit a beautiful 6I which landed on the front third of the green and looked like it would roll to around ten feet. Again it kept rolling and again I had three putts from the dip at the back of the green.

Back to the first (418m) with a reasonable drive and a lovely 3W which this time stayed on the green. Sadly three putts from 25ft gave me another bogey. A nice enough tee shot on two (351m) again left me 150m from the pin. Again I hit another well struck 4I. This time it just failed to carry onto the green. This time I hit a great bunker shot to about a foot and saved par. Three is 269m and I thought I hit my tee shot ok but was left with 90m to a back right pin. Anywhere left of the pin was an easy par. Knowing not to flirt with the green side bunkers I neatly put my approach into one of KH's most deadly bunkers with more sand to carry than green to work with. The sand was heavier than anticipated. My first effort did not escape. My second shot barely escaped and then ran neatly into the cup for a miracle par.

Four (357m) was down wind. A nice drive left me 110m out. I was going to hit a P wedge but decided on a smooth 9I. My beautifully struck approach landed about pin high and ran to the back of the green about 60ft away. Three putts for a bogey was a more formality. Five (173m) should have been a smooth hybrid and so it was except that when it landed it hit something hard and bounced 20m back and 20m right under some ti tree. With a restricted back swing I was very pleased to pitch off the sand over the bunkers to about 15ft. Two putts for a bogey was by this stage no bother. Finally on six (393m) I knew I needed a quality tee shot to either carry the right bunker, miss the left bunker or thread my way between them. Instead I hit a blocked cut so far right that it almost missed the adjacent first fairway. A modest 3W left me 40m short. Determined to finish strongly and disappointed with earlier wedges which came up short I gave the pitch a little extra. It flew straight over the flag and left me two putts from 15ft for a finishing bogey.

So there in there gory detail are all 87 of my strokes. At this point I'm more bewildered than anything else. I know I hit some genuinely good golf shots. Everybody knows however that it is not the quality of the good shots which determines your score.

Somebody please tell me this is not as good as it gets.

#149 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:07 PM

Played the front nine at Keysborough today. The course was being prepared for their ProAm later this week and it was in great condition. We decided against a cart which in retrospect may have tempted fate because it was quite hot. We played from the white tees and the distances below are from the blue.

I got a good drive away on the first (509m) then generally mucked up and made a bogey. Two (498m) found me in the fairway bunker and then generally mucked it up again for another bogey. I finally got going on three (148m) with an 8I to about 15ft and a lame two putt for par.

Four (366m) was a blocked drive into the trees followed by a really good punched 5I to about 15ft and two lame putts for par. Five (291m) was a nice drive to 50m from the pin. Sadly my pitch traveled 60m and resulted in another two lame putts for par. Six (347m) was a reasonable lay up with a 3W followed by a 5I from 155m to about 12ft. Again two lame putts for par.

Seven (457m) was a nice drive followed by a 3W into ideal position 40m from the front pin. This time my pitch traveled 60m again to the back of the green. Not wanting another lame two putt for par I three putted for bogey. Eight (136m) was a smooth 8I to 20ft and another lame two putts for par. Nine (401m) was a nice drive and a reasonable 5I pin high just off the green. At last I hit a good putt to about a foot for an easy par.

So 40 (three over) for the nine. Six greens in regulation with another on the fringe. Looking on the bright side a couple of good drives on one and two, some better distance control with my pitches and a few quality putts might have resulted in a sub par nine.

Coulda, wooda, shoulda.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#150 Forrest Gardener

Forrest Gardener

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationCairns

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:42 AM

Six months ago to the day I marveled that the last time I broke par was on 6 September 2014 and that round was about to disappear from my golflink record. I set myself the target of par or better.

To date golflink says that I've played 17 competitive rounds. My best "played to" was 5. That was my second round. In my first five rounds I also scored three 7s. In my most recent eight rounds I've scored 14, 13, 13, 16, 13, 15, 9 and 13. My handicap was 6.5. It is now 7.2. The best I have done in non-competition rounds is one under for the back nine at Lang Lang.

Comparing swing videos from six months ago with yesterday I can see some positive changes. At address I now bend more from the hips. Throughout the swing I maintain posture better down the line and post up better on my lead leg at impact. My turn away from the ball is better with signs of getting more loaded. The improvements are more incremental than revolutionary. The main desired change is still drive from the torso and appropriate shaft lean at impact.

Short game and putting have improved a little. Like most players I look back on each round and feel that I've left several opportunities out there. I need to work harder in this area.

Fitness has improved. I haven't played 18 hole rounds on successive days but I have played 18 holes followed by 9 holes the next day. I can hit a half bucket in warm up without feeling like I'm seizing up during the round. My back complains much less after a round and left hip pain is manageable and improving. I can now extend practice sessions to two lots of 30 balls.

Breaking par in a competition round seems a long way away. Then again if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

• iRON MiCK likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users