7 replies to this topic

#1 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 09:55 AM

After a 2year enforced hiatus due to a torn meniscus in my right knee I'm looking to get back to playing.

I am currently attending physio appointments to try and resolve the knee issue and hav been given some excercises to realign my hips and strengthen my lower back and relieve tension in my upper back.

Anyway, can anyone help in ways to minimise stress on the knee during the golfswing? Not long after I originally injured the knee I tried a few chips in the back garden and the knee popped just doing that and as such confidence init has been quite low for a considerable time.

Thanks in advance.

#2 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3077 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 16 July 2018 - 11:43 AM

A quality Knee Brace is needed ,,, I couldn't walk down hills / stairs to well for the first two years so it helped.

plus with light regular controlled weight training I am getting better stability and walking better which then

translated in being able to start playing again.,

• 12shoc likes this

The Vision Project | UVee Staybright Ball Tec | @visiongolfball by WJB | #byWJB

#3 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 12:30 PM

Thanks Boz.

I'm righthanded and its my right knee that has the problem. Certainly havent been confident in it when coming down and through the ball when that knee starts to turn. 

Knee brace will certainly help as will the physio. 

Also wondering if adopting a more leftsided stack and tilt type swing would put less stress on the right knee.

• The_Boz likes this

#4 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3077 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

I think you might be too soon to worry,,, yes protect the right knee by maybe getting up on

the ball of your right foot so it doesn't hinge the joint too much from the side but I think you

will be happier building the leg up,,, this may also require remedial ,massage as the quads 

wont be working properly as the knee and surrounding muscles tend to turn off when hurt.

This is a just a generalised group of thoughts from my own individual experience,,,

Please be careful,

Boz

• 12shoc likes this

#5 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

Yeah, have been given a few excercises to work my lower back/hips and some squats and calf raises to add a bit of strength there. Will be interesting to see how that goes.

Keen to get back out. Sadly need to buy a new set of clubs etc after selling all my gear 12months ago after giving up on playing. Nice to know that there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

• The_Boz likes this

#6 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3077 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 11:12 AM

Its interesting I am using some quality softer shafts in the longer irons and fairways/hybrids to good effect

in that I am hitting it far enough to play ok and my expectations are under control as I am enjoying just playing.

But I don't play many 18 holes comps today,,, I am trying in warmer conditions to play many 6 to 9 holes,,,,,

Plus I dont like being on course for 4+ hours as I am too busy in the proshop or with Vision,,,

• 12shoc and iRON MiCK like this

#7 12shoc

12shoc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1214 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 07:21 AM

Thats interesting with the clubs. Will have a look at that. Certainly had been looking at a 5 or 6Iron to PW set of irons with hybrids for the longer irons.

Want to try and play at least 1 18 hole comp a month but will most likely hire a cart as my home course is Nambour in Queensland and is VERY hilly. but for the most will play 9holes as you and walk as much as I can. Will probably eventually invest in a battery powered cart so I can just concentrate on walking and not killing myself pushing a set clubs up a 1:4 hill. :P

#8 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3077 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 08:16 AM

What I tend to do is play with 7/8 clubs in a Sunday bag most times,,, and I get rid of the stuff I dont

need on the day into a spare small cooler bag that I keep with it,,,spare ball/tees/gloves sun cream

etc,,, care every 12 balls weights 500grams

With the battery buggy try and get one that can control your speed down hills sort of like a walking frame

approach  it will load the gear box more and as such wear it more but its worth it IMHO,,,,we have hire

MGI's not the latest versions and they seem practical ,,, but MGI can be overpriced and do fail over time

with ok service but none are perfect as they all are made in similar factories in China.

• 12shoc likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users