34 replies to this topic

#31 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:53 PM

I am pleased with Decision to stop the compass stuff. The measurement stuff is over the top. If the info is not perfect, so what. It is not perfect for everyone in the field.
Get on with the game. Hit the ball.

There's a reason that hole locations are given in "paces", not yards (or meters) - it prevents arguments about inaccuracies.  The next day's hole locations are marked on the green with a dot of paint, the caddies can pace them off during the round if they so desire.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, languid and Monty85 like this

#32 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1612 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:15 AM

There's a reason that hole locations are given in "paces", not yards (or meters) - it prevents arguments about inaccuracies.  The next day's hole locations are marked on the green with a dot of paint, the caddies can pace them off during the round if they so desire.

That's a good point and makes you wonder how true Bryson's comments are that he was just checking the pin positions are accurate.

If the distances are measured in paces, how is he measuring/checking they are correct when there is no exact measurement for what a "pace" is.

Unless he thinks they are vastly incorrect on the green maps they are given, but then in that case, I doubt you'd need a compass to work it out.

| GolfLink 

#33 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:00 PM

That's a good point and makes you wonder how true Bryson's comments are that he was just checking the pin positions are accurate.

If the distances are measured in paces, how is he measuring/checking they are correct when there is no exact measurement for what a "pace" is.

Unless he thinks they are vastly incorrect on the green maps they are given, but then in that case, I doubt you'd need a compass to work it out.

That's exactly what I was trying to point out.  We all try to make our paces as close to one yard as we can, but they're not measured.  If he thinks they are measured accurately, then he's wrong.  His analysis is only as correct as the input data (number of paces) and he can't use a tape measure (it's a distance-measuring device) to verify the input data.  It seems to me that he's just trying to demonstrate that he's more cerebral and technical than others - I'm not buying it.

#34 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5734 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 09 July 2018 - 03:14 PM

That's exactly what I was trying to point out.  We all try to make our paces as close to one yard as we can, but they're not measured.  If he thinks they are measured accurately, then he's wrong.  His analysis is only as correct as the input data (number of paces) and he can't use a tape measure (it's a distance-measuring device) to verify the input data.  It seems to me that he's just trying to demonstrate that he's more cerebral and technical than others - I'm not buying it.

Is that code for he's a massive flog? Because I agree. 

• BumpunRun, Monty85 and Goldy like this

#35 Larry2

Larry2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 09:23 AM

GA likes to share the language of measurement, "hole should be at least four PACES from the edge of any green". "An area of two or three FEET around the hole should be as level as possible."  "Effort should be made to ensure holes are not positioned within three METRES of a very severe slope or ridge."  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users