• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 @golfrules_questions

@golfrules_questions

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

Interesting to see Bryson using a compass to work out his distance to the hole/margin for error.

There is a Decision:

"Q.

A player uses a compass during a stipulated round to help determine the direction of the wind or the direction of the grain in the greens. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?

A.

No. A compass only provides directional information and does not gauge or measure variable conditions or assist the player in his play."

But this is for a navigational device, not an architectural drawing tool.

Although I don't see a problem with what he was using/doing, the PGA Tour is going to look into (ask the USGA) about whether this is permissible.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#2 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3094 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:26 PM

Was he actually using a (directional) compass or a pair of (drawing) compasses or beam compass?

Edited by AAA, 25 June 2018 - 10:27 PM.

#3 Hokey Pokey

Hokey Pokey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20339 posts
  • Location.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 10:44 PM

Was he actually using a (directional) compass or a pair of (drawing) compasses or beam compass?

Attached File  D912D998-EECD-4A57-8813-58999511565F.jpeg   1.08MB   0 downloads

#4 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3094 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 02:18 AM

It certainly looks like a 14-3a breach.

But is it known exactly how he used it?

#5 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1487 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:00 AM

WTF?

I'm lost, how the hell is that going to help measure distance on a course?

#6 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 26 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

It certainly looks like a 14-3a breach.

But is it known exactly how he used it?

Yeah thats what i would think as well. Looks like he's using it to measure out distances on the fly in his yardage book.

| GolfLink 

#7 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10222 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

Yeah thats what i would think as well. Looks like he's using it to measure out distances on the fly in his yardage book.

Correct me if I am wrong here but isnt a yardage book meant to contain notes and DISTANCE references for each hole?
  • Mr Potato Head likes this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#8 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:08 AM

Correct me if I am wrong here but isnt a yardage book meant to contain notes and DISTANCE references for each hole?

Yes.

My first thought was that he's using the compass to measure out exact distances on his book in an ad-hoc way. So he's preset his compass to be a certain distance in line with the scale of the yardage book. He can then accurately determine distances to targets or areas on the fairway.

Thinking about it more, its probably no worse than using a rangefinder to measure targets in the distance so im not so sure now.

How would you interpret 14-3?

Except as provided by the rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an abnormal manner.

b.) For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might effect his play

Edited by Monty85, 26 June 2018 - 11:14 AM.

| GolfLink 

#9 Mr Potato Head

Mr Potato Head

Non-Playing Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1299 posts
  • LocationOff the back foot

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:37 AM

He has stated that it's to check the daily pin location distances against his book. He believes they are sometimes a little different to what the players are given for each day. Excuse or not?

Country golfer on a City course.

I'm good, but no-one seems to care.

Now I find out a French au-pair is NOT a breed of goat!

French Doctors though? not on Nauru!

Is it really your ABC?

#10 @golfrules_questions

@golfrules_questions

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:48 AM

Yes.

My first thought was that he's using the compass to measure out exact distances on his book in an ad-hoc way. So he's preset his compass to be a certain distance in line with the scale of the yardage book. He can then accurately determine distances to targets or areas on the fairway.

Thinking about it more, its probably no worse than using a rangefinder to measure targets in the distance so im not so sure now.

How would you interpret 14-3?

Except as provided by the rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment, or use any equipment in an abnormal manner.

b.) For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might effect his play

Well it is unusual, and

It is for the purpose of gauging or measuring distance.

But I would interpret other Decisions that set a precedence that this is permissible.

We shall wait and see.

#11 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

But I would interpret other Decisions that set a precedence that this is permissible.

Such as?

| GolfLink 

#12 @golfrules_questions

@golfrules_questions

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:10 PM

Such as?

The one I referenced at the top, Decision 14-3/4, as well as 14-3/5. I realise it is a different type of compass that they are referring to in /4, but don't see how this really has any different benefit.

If they bring out a ruling that prohibits such tool, and the feeling behind it is that it is a pace of play issue, then they should definitely do away with Green Reading Books, that definitely slows down play.

green-books-990x556.jpg

#13 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 26 June 2018 - 12:25 PM

The one I referenced at the top, Decision 14-3/4, as well as 14-3/5. I realise it is a different type of compass that they are referring to in /4, but don't see how this really has any different benefit.

Would have to disagree with you there -  one shows you North, South, East and West (non-variables). The other can, with a level of accuracy, measure and gauge distance points (variables) on a map.

Totally different kettles of fish.

14-3/5 talks about the use of the yardage book and is accepted because "it's use has been traditionally accepted". There is no way a compass is a traditionally used piece of equipment.

Edit: I still don't know what the ruling should be - just saying those decisions don't relate to this scenario.

Edited by Monty85, 26 June 2018 - 12:32 PM.

| GolfLink 

#14 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14348 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:15 PM

North is up

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Gardiners Run Senior Matchplay Champion

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#15 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3094 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:50 PM

I see that the PGA, after consulting with the USGA, have allowed DeChambeau to continue using that compass (a "bow" compass is the correct term). He said he uses it only to check the actual pin position when he is on the green. When he knows the correct location, he can assess the borrow by looking at the book he carries with a diagram of each green. The compass is apparently not used to actually measure the borrow at all.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Monty85 and @golfrules_questions like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users