• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AlisonC

AlisonC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • LocationNSW South Coast, where the courses are flatter than Mornington Pen.

Posted 25 June 2018 - 11:25 AM

Is there a place for 9 hole comps, and if so does your club offer them?

Moved up to NSW from Victoria 2 years ago, had given up playing golf due to significant health issues. Subsequently bought a Parmaker ride-on buggy and have started playing again. With the restrictions on driving carts close to greens which I follow, still get to do a lot of walking, and currently can only manage 9 holes.

In Victoria the Vets do 9 hole comps. Apparently in NSW they don't, or is it just those at my club?  The midweek 9 hole comps in Vic at my then club used to get a good showing, with up to 30 members playing regularly.

There are a whole stack of reasons why some golfers might prefer a 9 hole comp - from time restraints to health issues, so is there a place for them at your club?

Alison

Rev Mother of Bene Gesserit.

What's in the bag.

Callaway Diablo Edge graphite shaft kit, 11° Driver, 3 Wood, 3,4 & 5 Hybrids, 6,7,8,9 Irons, P, A, S Wedges. NV Drew Chipper. Odyssey White Ice No 9 putter.

#2 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:31 PM

Absolutely there is, we are running one most competition days. Not hugely popular but gaining some momentum, seem to work better in summer.

You are able to use 2*9 hole events for handicap purposes.

• Madam, iRON MiCK, Parmachine and 1 other like this

#3 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2970 posts

Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

If we had daylight saving in QLD it would be a great idea, lets open that can of worms on here again.

• Madam and iRON MiCK like this

#4 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:43 AM

If we had daylight saving in QLD it would be a great idea, lets open that can of worms on here again.

Just go to work an hour earlier.

#5 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:53 AM

Is there a place for 9 hole comps, and if so does your club offer them?

Moved up to NSW from Victoria 2 years ago, had given up playing golf due to significant health issues. Subsequently bought a Parmaker ride-on buggy and have started playing again. With the restrictions on driving carts close to greens which I follow, still get to do a lot of walking, and currently can only manage 9 holes.

In Victoria the Vets do 9 hole comps. Apparently in NSW they don't, or is it just those at my club? The midweek 9 hole comps in Vic at my then club used to get a good showing, with up to 30 members playing regularly.

There are a whole stack of reasons why some golfers might prefer a 9 hole comp - from time restraints to health issues, so is there a place for them at your club?

Alison

Given time issues, family commitments etc. it makes sense.

I notice on American golf forums a lot of golfers talk about a golf league, like a ten pin bowling thing, where they play 9 holes in a semi.orgsnised club with mates once or twice a week. I don't know why more golf clubs in Australia haven't tapped into that style of event for bringing in more players.

A shotgun tee off at even 5pm in Qld would get 9 holes completed by dark in summer.

Someone on here posts, comments about, a 9 and dine event on a regular basis. That too sounds like a good idea for clubs to bring more people back into the clubhouse.

Maybe you just need to give your new club some ideas to try?

Edit - it could also be another way clubs keep players in those "family years" when many golfers drop out due to impact of kids and time to play regular weekend 18 hole comp golf becomes impossible when running kids to sport etc.

Edited by hack2489, 27 June 2018 - 04:56 AM.

#6 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14458 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 07:50 AM

We used to run golf leagues every summer in the states. Local business brought the teams over and we had Mo-thu booked out for 10 weeks from 4:30-5:30 some days 6pm

9 holes and the business ran their own Comp. Some had Putters and gutters night. Played 9 then off to 10pin for a couple games total score of both won!

• iRON MiCK, Notupnotin, madness and 1 other like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#7 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 09:45 AM

We used to run a twilight comp at one of my previous clubs - hugely popular pack out the field and the bar afterwards. Has died over the last 10 - 15 years.

When I got on committee I tried to get a regular one up of a Thursday night at our club but didn't get more than a handful playing regularly so that died as well. We still have an occasional Nine and Dine which is popular more as a social event.

My take on why it failed is:

-  We all say we are time poor but try and get something up that relieves that and people say they want 18 holes. People viewed it as play either 9 holes on Thu/Fri or play 18 on weekend and not both.

- I think these days demographics of golf clubs has changed they used to be more family places where something like 9 hole comp after school/work and stay around the club have some dinner and a few beers was an option.  These days due to cost of memberships etc. and other competing opportunities outside of golf couples or families aren't spending time at the club.

• Madam and madness like this

#8 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14458 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:21 AM

We used to run a twilight comp at one of my previous clubs - hugely popular pack out the field and the bar afterwards. Has died over the last 10 - 15 years.

When I got on committee I tried to get a regular one up of a Thursday night at our club but didn't get more than a handful playing regularly so that died as well. We still have an occasional Nine and Dine which is popular more as a social event.

My take on why it failed is:

-  We all say we are time poor but try and get something up that relieves that and people say they want 18 holes. People viewed it as play either 9 holes on Thu/Fri or play 18 on weekend and not both.

- I think these days demographics of golf clubs has changed they used to be more family places where something like 9 hole comp after school/work and stay around the club have some dinner and a few beers was an option.  These days due to cost of memberships etc. and other competing opportunities outside of golf couples or families aren't spending time at the club.

Id target these "new versions" of game to a different market not the same members. Best way to grow the base!

• madness likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#9 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Id target these "new versions" of game to a different market not the same members. Best way to grow the base!

It is interesting because I was hoping to get a number of younger members with family who can't commit to 18 holes of a Saturday to play. Unfortunately many would prefer to play 18 every 3 to 4 weeks rather than play 9 holes once a week. They saw it as if they played nine regularly that wouldn't be able to get out for their monthly 18.

I probably didn't have a bigger enough cohort of these to make it "regular groups" and therefore sustainable. Shame because these are the members that turn over quite rapidly - get them to the club and they realise after 12 months that they only played a handful of times and leave the club.

#10 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8621 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 27 June 2018 - 10:57 AM

What "new versions" are you referring to mad's

VTTP 006

Miracle

#11 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14458 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 11:01 AM

What "new versions" are you referring to mad's

"New versions" being the 9hole formats and fun games such as Nine and Dine etc.

I say "new Versions" more as a reference to old/current members not wanting to change their current playing habits of 18holes. They see it as a change so hence I called it "new"

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#12 Notupnotin

Notupnotin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:17 PM

Friday night 9 hole chicken run at a few clubs around the Bellarine peninsula 

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner

-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads

-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P

-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)

-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016

Lowest H/C 7.4 on 15/9/18

PB Round 73/9/64 (11/3/17) Winchelsea par 69

PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72

http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p>

https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#13 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24102 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:18 PM

Warragul has 'Corporate Golf' for 9 holes on Thurs during daylight savings. Teams play under the banners of various local companies for an end of season prize. You don't have to be an employee of the relevant company, its just a matter of knowing someone and being invited to join their team.

Also, there's a ladies' 9 hole on Mondays in addition to their regular 18 hole Wed comp.
  • Madam likes this

#14 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24102 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 27 June 2018 - 01:19 PM

Friday night 9 hole chicken run at a few clubs around the Bellarine peninsula

Lots of country clubs do a Friday chicken run in daylight savings.
  • Notupnotin likes this

#15 DGoff

DGoff

Suspect

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:34 PM

At Belmont up here near Newcastle, the vets play 12 holes, front 9 plus 10, 11 & 12 (10-11-12 ends you up near the clubhouse). They meet from 10:30 and tee off after the ladies at around noon and all hang around after for a drink and results, highly sociable.

• Madam and Notupnotin like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users