• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11934 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:22 PM

All the best with it mate.
  • golden8 likes this
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#18 Schmuck

Schmuck

B grade Chopper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10845 posts
  • Location1 club shorter

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:13 PM

Inspiring, many of us dream, you are doing it. Best of luck!
  • golden8 likes this
Nothing makes sense, except GOATS, they ALWAYS make sense

Ever noticed that Ducks swagger?

I am only half trying

"Be brave if you lose and meek if you win"

#19 Notupnotin

Notupnotin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 13 June 2018 - 01:22 PM

Living the dream!!!

• golden8 likes this

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner

-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads

-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P

-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)

-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016

Lowest H/C 7.4 on 15/9/18

PB Round 73/9/64 (11/3/17) Winchelsea par 69

PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72

http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p>

https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#20 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 07:21 PM

Good questions Toph.

Great replies.

Can I suggest that along with your golf practice and playing plan(s) you also develop a marketing plan. The key to getting funding, sponsorship will be a point of difference. What's yours? How can people relate?

Maybe? Some of the back story is the key?

Good luck.

Chase the dream. No sense being old and wonder, 44 is young!

Funding is an absolute priority.  I've had a long held belief that there are many guys out there with more talent, better work ethic and games good enough to succeed at the highest level that haven't made it for the simple reason of finances.  Finances prevent them playing in events they need to and finances also hampers performance.  How much difficult is a 4 foot putt at 18 for the guy who knows he needs to make it to be able to afford to play next week as compared to the guy who has secure funding for his schedule?

Some of my funding strategy is via trying to build up an online presence, hence the importance of the YouTube channel.  Right now attracting sponsors is a very very difficult task in the traditional sense.  What sponsor is going to want to take on a 44yo dreamer who the mainstream would view as a longshot to make any impact in the same way as a Shetland pony would be in the Melbourne Cup!!  My view is if I can document my journey via social media and word of mouth, hopefully when the time is right, sponsors will find something attractive in that.

Again, happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this and if there are any sponsors out there reading this, happy to be propositioned!! ;)

• Madam, Weetbix, Mr Potato Head and 1 other like this

#21 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:55 AM

Funding is an absolute priority. I've had a long held belief that there are many guys out there with more talent, better work ethic and games good enough to succeed at the highest level that haven't made it for the simple reason of finances. Finances prevent them playing in events they need to and finances also hampers performance. How much difficult is a 4 foot putt at 18 for the guy who knows he needs to make it to be able to afford to play next week as compared to the guy who has secure funding for his schedule?

Some of my funding strategy is via trying to build up an online presence, hence the importance of the YouTube channel. Right now attracting sponsors is a very very difficult task in the traditional sense. What sponsor is going to want to take on a 44yo dreamer who the mainstream would view as a longshot to make any impact in the same way as a Shetland pony would be in the Melbourne Cup!! My view is if I can document my journey via social media and word of mouth, hopefully when the time is right, sponsors will find something attractive in that.

Again, happy to hear everyone's thoughts on this and if there are any sponsors out there reading this, happy to be propositioned!! ;)

My $0.02 worth... You need a point of difference, a uniqueness, that fits with your target sponsors audience. Start with sponsors to target, assess their audience, and work your brand and marketing message into that space...

As corny as it sounds, look up the "start with why?" stuff on the interwebs. Might challenge you to understand your real reasons for doing it too..

The YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter stuff is just to distribute your message and engage the audience. You need a clear goal.as to your unique difference and why the audience wants to follow you. It's the numbers from that sponsors want to tap into... You may find alignment with a cause, charity, brand or company helps to define your audience.

Obviously competitive success helps, and with it sponsors come, but, in these early days you need the financial help. Don't turn your back on those who help you, make it a commitment to long term association with those who help in the early days.

A key here for all this could be the vulnerability, downside, stress, angst... The not so great stuff. Maybe? Sharing that is a key to being different and letting the audience and sponsors see your tenacity, persistence and how you work through it could establish you as a very different product, brand in the golfing space.

Hopefully a few others on here will chime in with ideas for you.
  • golden8 likes this

#22 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:21 AM

My $0.02 worth... You need a point of difference, a uniqueness, that fits with your target sponsors audience. Start with sponsors to target, assess their audience, and work your brand and marketing message into that space...

As corny as it sounds, look up the "start with why?" stuff on the interwebs. Might challenge you to understand your real reasons for doing it too..

The YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter stuff is just to distribute your message and engage the audience. You need a clear goal.as to your unique difference and why the audience wants to follow you. It's the numbers from that sponsors want to tap into... You may find alignment with a cause, charity, brand or company helps to define your audience.

Obviously competitive success helps, and with it sponsors come, but, in these early days you need the financial help. Don't turn your back on those who help you, make it a commitment to long term association with those who help in the early days.

A key here for all this could be the vulnerability, downside, stress, angst... The not so great stuff. Maybe? Sharing that is a key to being different and letting the audience and sponsors see your tenacity, persistence and how you work through it could establish you as a very different product, brand in the golfing space.

Hopefully a few others on here will chime in with ideas for you.

I certainly like the vulnerability bit - my intention is to share all the bad times and the good times.  My view is for this to be a warts and all adventure.  I'm sure most people will identify with that more so than what they would the up times!

• hack2489 likes this

#23 over the MUFFIN top

over the MUFFIN top

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1798 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 June 2018 - 03:47 PM

wow....all the best mate....you are officially in my list of IDOLS!!!!!

• golden8 likes this

http://www.golflink....k_no=3013315452

- Captain Shagger

- 2017 Southern Golf Club Order of Merit Winner

- 2017 Melbourne Corporate Games Bronze Medalist

- 2015 ISG Vic Annual OOM Champion (A-Grade & Overall)

- 2015 ISG Matchplay Championship Runner Up

- 2015 OOM3 Sandhurst B-Grade Winner and Long Drive winner

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  3rd Individual Aggregate,

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  NTP Day 1 Blue Course Hole 2, NTP Day 2 Green Course Hole 7

- 2015 OOM2 Settlers Run Runner Up

- 2015 OOM1 LeFrogge B Grade Long Drive Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic Annual Order of Merit- B Grade Winner and 3rd Overall 

- 2014 Auto Club Golf Championship- Regional Event KGC- Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic OOM#1@ Sanctuary Lakes GC- Winner 

- 2013 AFL Golf Championship @ Yarra Yarra GC- Winner

- 2013 Stink's 3 Club Challenge- Runner Up 

#24 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:20 PM

Good luck bro 
keep it under par 

• golden8 likes this

#25 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 08:54 AM

UPDATE

Hi All,

Thought you'd like to know I'm playing in qualifying for the Open Championship on Monday 25th.

I've been allocated to play at Frilford Heath and managed to complete a practice round there over the weekend.  We've done some recording and will publish a few videos of the practice round over the next few days.  I hadn't played there previously and glad that I did as there are some very tricky holes and lots of tricky greens.  The wind blew pretty hard when I was there, hopefully it is a little calmer when I play.

I'm planning on doing a bit of live YouTube on the day of the qualifier, a little before I tee off and then a live wrap of the round straight after.  If you are in Australia, we intend to be live from about 9:00pm on Monday and then again probably around 3am.  I'm pretty sure the live videos will be up to watch later as well.  If you subscribe to the channel then you will get notified when we are going live.

Cheers for now

GB

• Madam likes this

#26 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41734 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 20 June 2018 - 09:02 AM

Good luck

What are your expectations for the event? Are you feeling a realistic chance to advance or is this more about experience and getting a sense of your current form?
  • golden8 likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#27 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5280 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

What do you have to do to qualify? Top how many out of how many?
  • golden8 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#28 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:35 PM

Good luck
What are your expectations for the event? Are you feeling a realistic chance to advance or is this more about experience and getting a sense of your current form?

Hey Weetbix,

I have no expectations and deliberately so. I’m keen not to be burdened by expectations when I play. If I play well enough I’ll advance if I don’t then it’s a great learning experience. Strategy is to go to the first tee, hit it, find it, hit it again and when I walk off the 18th count them up and see what happens.

Not sure if that’s the type of answer that most people want to hear but that’s really the approach I’ve got to take if I am to be successful.

Thanks for the best wishes.
  • Weetbix and Francie like this

#29 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:37 PM

What do you have to do to qualify? Top how many out of how many?

I think there is about 130 odd in the field at my venue. They tell you on the day how many will advance, it has to do with a pro rata amongst all venues and equal proportions of fields to progress. As with previous reply though it’s not something to be too concerned about for me as I just need to go out there and do the best I can.

#30 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3111 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

Strategy is to go to the first tee, hit it, find it, hit it again and when I walk off the 18th count them up and see what happens.

Great attitude. It's the approach I like take. I just have problems with the "find it" bit :(

All the best for 25th. Look fwd to seeing the vids.

• golden8 and Rusty_Chopper_1984 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users