#1 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:56 AM

Hi Guys,

Been a while since I've posted in here but a few years back I was an active member of these forums and even met up with a few of the guys from here to play golf.  Had a great day with Hackpro at Kingston Heath and even met up with Bowdo at the AT&T Pebble Beach.

Well I moved to the UK, a few years ago and have given into my lifelong love affair with the game to turn professional.  I've set up a YouTube channel to chart my journey and I'd be really grateful for the support from iseekers.

Here's the link to the channel:

https://www.youtube....pPnsd8giU1WNfKg

I hope some of you will find it interesting and I'd love to engage with all of you.  I've just been to Australia for a few weeks to see family and play some golf courses.  We will be posting some content from the Australia trip soon.

Love to hear your feedback, good and bad.

I'm off to Open Qualifying in a few weeks so happy to engage with anyone on the experience.

Cheers

GB

• GhettoGolfer, voss, BumpunRun and 7 others like this

#2 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5252 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

Wow. That’s kinda a big deal. First and foremost good luck. And I really mean that. I hope you make it big time. Please keep us posted.
Can I ask a few questions?
How old are you?
What makes you think you have a chance?
What made you do this......now?
How good is your game?
Where are you based?
How much time can you spare for golf with a full time job?

From a Pom in Aus
  • golden8 and hack2489 like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#3 chevychase

chevychase

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1106 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:23 PM

Good luck. Are you going to post any footage of yourself actually playing? I went through each of the episodes but couldn’t see instances where you’re playing or practicing.
  • golden8 likes this
Driver: TaylorMade 2018 M3 10.5* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI6s
3 Wood: TaylorMade 2018 M4 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI7s
Irons: 2-PW: Mizuno MPH-4 +.5”, 2* upright, 2 iron: Graphite Design Tour AD-DI8s; 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 950GH Stiff.
Wedges: 52* Mizuno MP-R12; 56* & 60* Indi Stingraywith KBS Tour 120 Stiff shafts.
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport M2 with Super Stroke Fatso grip
Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

#4 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41659 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

Good luck mate - good on you for chasing your dream

I’ll be interested in your answers to Toph’s questions
  • golden8 likes this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#5 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14021 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 12 June 2018 - 10:03 PM

What they said...

I have watched the YouTube presos and have subscribed, so I will keep up to date with what you put up.  Good to see you are committed and hope you get what you want out of your endeavours.  Must say though... at 44 and just trying to get onto the big stage with a full time job is going to be a big ask.  But, chase that dream..... that is what they are there for.

• golden8 likes this
The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#6 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:46 PM

Wow. That’s kinda a big deal. First and foremost good luck. And I really mean that. I hope you make it big time. Please keep us posted.
Can I ask a few questions?
How old are you?
What makes you think you have a chance?
What made you do this......now?
How good is your game?
Where are you based?

From a Pom in Aus

Will definitely keep you posted.  There's also plenty of ways to keep involved with what I'm doing. 

I have a website: www.destinationtourpro.com

I have a facebook page: www.facebook.com/desttourpro

I have an instagram account: @destinationtourpro

I have a twitter account: @DestTourPro

I'm 44 years old. Ouch :(

I think I have a chance because I'm older and thus more experienced, because I want to devote myself to it completely and I feel like I have the right people around me (Coach and Partner amongst others).  I am under no illusions that this will be easy and it might even prove to be impossible but I know for sure that I won't be lying on my death bed regretting all the great times I have had on a golf course over the years.  I've had lots of golf experience and lots of life experience.  I've been a low single figure golfer for the best part of 20 years and always had plenty of reasons not to practice and other things get in the way of golf.  Of course I still have a life and I still have a job but age and experience teaches me to work in a more effective and efficient way and to make the most of what I have in a golf skill sense.  There's a fair bit of waffle there but in all honesty its a pretty tough question!!

What made me do this?......now?

Hmmmm.....again tough question (do you have a couch I should lie down on?? ;) ).  I got some inspiration from the tale of a friend named Guy Wall, a Sydney based financial adviser who turned pro at 50 and is having a great time on the Aussie Seniors circuit and qualified for the Senior Open Championship.  I also got divorced recently and my kids (two girls 15 and 12) are really into golf and want to make careers out of it and so I wanted to show them a great example of what it takes to be successful.  But most of all I wanted this for myself, maybe selfishly.  All of those things drive me.

How good is your game?

It's not good enough right now.  I've turned pro this year from a handicap of 1 and with a stroke average in the mid 70's.  I need to find in the vicinity of 6/7 shots on average.  A stroke average of 69 would make me competitive and then its all about the ability to do so under pressure, to do so under fatigue and to do so on the weeks that matter.

Where are you based?

I'm based in Surrey, UK, south west of London.  5 mins from Burhill Golf Club where I'm a member.  The challenge of course of being here is the winters and the ability to practice year round so I've been venturing to Spain a few times per winter to do intensive weeks of winter training.

I work on a contract basis in my own consultancy and work from home quite regularly.  In the summer, time isn't an issue as the light till 10pm and I can be playing and practicing frequently after work.  As I work on a contract basis I'm not constrained to a certain amount of holidays per year and so I am able to go to winter training and to events during the season here.  I am hoping in the future (not too distant) to secure funding that allows me to further scale down work and devote more time to golf, but at the moment its a juggling act.  For most pros at my level this is common place, whether it be doing supermarket shelf stacking, working in a pro shop or doing what I do.  All in all I would estimate I probably spend about 30/35 hours a week on golf when I'm working.

Thanks for your questions, really happy to engage and answer anything you guys might want to know.

• over the MUFFIN top, Notupnotin and hack2489 like this

#7 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

What they said...

I have watched the YouTube presos and have subscribed, so I will keep up to date with what you put up.  Good to see you are committed and hope you get what you want out of your endeavours.  Must say though... at 44 and just trying to get onto the big stage with a full time job is going to be a big ask.  But, chase that dream..... that is what they are there for.

No doubt it's a big ask.  Not even sure if it's possible but unless I give it a go then it's definitely not possible!  Thanks for the encouragement!! :)

• Commish, Hat_Trick and hack2489 like this

#8 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:52 PM

Good luck mate - good on you for chasing your dream

I’ll be interested in your answers to Toph’s questions

Thanks Weetbix - you've been round these forums for ages haven't you??

#9 golden8

golden8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 12:05 AM

Good luck. Are you going to post any footage of yourself actually playing? I went through each of the episodes but couldn’t see instances where you’re playing or practicing.

Thanks for watching and yeah definitely I will be posting videos of playing.  We've just spent three weeks back in Australia and did some filming at the courses I played and we will try to get some of that up soon.  There's some footage from Pacific and Brookwater in Brisbane and from Hamilton Island so we will edit those and get them up.  Unfortunately what we've captured isn't as good as the vlogs Crossfield and Aussie Golf Reviewer do but rest assured there will be some stuff coming soon.  I'm sure we will get better at it as we go along.  Also we will be doing in-depth lesson filming and posting, i'll try do some tips from time to time as well.  Happy for you guys to throw more suggestions my way too.

• Notupnotin likes this

#10 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5252 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 13 June 2018 - 05:30 AM

Miss those long summer evenings so much. I’m originally from Surrey. Great Bookham, been in oz since 1991.
Will subscribe to your FB and look forward to the journey!
  • golden8 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#11 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41659 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:00 AM

Yeah mate - long time and still as big a chopper as when I joined!

Gunna be an interesting ride for you - I look forward to come along for it
  • Madam and golden8 like this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#12 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14228 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:02 AM

Yes all 41,000+ posts!

• golden8 and hack2489 like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#13 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 09:43 AM

Good luck mate. At least you have 6 years to practice before you start raking in the big bucks on the Champions tour :D

From another pom in oz. (who's 20 years too late :()

Edited by bazinoz, 13 June 2018 - 09:44 AM.

• golden8 likes this

#14 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:06 AM

Will definitely keep you posted. There's also plenty of ways to keep involved with what I'm doing.
I have a website: www.destinationtourpro.com
I have a facebook page: www.facebook.com/desttourpro
I have an instagram account: @destinationtourpro
I have a twitter account: @DestTourPro

I'm 44 years old. Ouch :(

I think I have a chance because I'm older and thus more experienced, because I want to devote myself to it completely and I feel like I have the right people around me (Coach and Partner amongst others). I am under no illusions that this will be easy and it might even prove to be impossible but I know for sure that I won't be lying on my death bed regretting all the great times I have had on a golf course over the years. I've had lots of golf experience and lots of life experience. I've been a low single figure golfer for the best part of 20 years and always had plenty of reasons not to practice and other things get in the way of golf. Of course I still have a life and I still have a job but age and experience teaches me to work in a more effective and efficient way and to make the most of what I have in a golf skill sense. There's a fair bit of waffle there but in all honesty its a pretty tough question!!

What made me do this?......now?

Hmmmm.....again tough question (do you have a couch I should lie down on?? ;) ). I got some inspiration from the tale of a friend named Guy Wall, a Sydney based financial adviser who turned pro at 50 and is having a great time on the Aussie Seniors circuit and qualified for the Senior Open Championship. I also got divorced recently and my kids (two girls 15 and 12) are really into golf and want to make careers out of it and so I wanted to show them a great example of what it takes to be successful. But most of all I wanted this for myself, maybe selfishly. All of those things drive me.

How good is your game?

It's not good enough right now. I've turned pro this year from a handicap of 1 and with a stroke average in the mid 70's. I need to find in the vicinity of 6/7 shots on average. A stroke average of 69 would make me competitive and then its all about the ability to do so under pressure, to do so under fatigue and to do so on the weeks that matter.

Where are you based?

I'm based in Surrey, UK, south west of London. 5 mins from Burhill Golf Club where I'm a member. The challenge of course of being here is the winters and the ability to practice year round so I've been venturing to Spain a few times per winter to do intensive weeks of winter training.

I work on a contract basis in my own consultancy and work from home quite regularly. In the summer, time isn't an issue as the light till 10pm and I can be playing and practicing frequently after work. As I work on a contract basis I'm not constrained to a certain amount of holidays per year and so I am able to go to winter training and to events during the season here. I am hoping in the future (not too distant) to secure funding that allows me to further scale down work and devote more time to golf, but at the moment its a juggling act. For most pros at my level this is common place, whether it be doing supermarket shelf stacking, working in a pro shop or doing what I do. All in all I would estimate I probably spend about 30/35 hours a week on golf when I'm working.

Thanks for your questions, really happy to engage and answer anything you guys might want to know.

Good questions Toph.

Great replies.

Can I suggest that along with your golf practice and playing plan(s) you also develop a marketing plan. The key to getting funding, sponsorship will be a point of difference. What's yours? How can people relate?

Maybe? Some of the back story is the key?

Good luck.

Chase the dream. No sense being old and wonder, 44 is young!

#15 okitoki

okitoki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

I'm just slightly older than you are, but not as brave on taking the plunge in to something we all enjoy and love.

Wish you all the best in making it.... 

• golden8 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users