Photo

Titleist 'avx' Ball Review

avx

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 09:01 PM

had the chance to try out titleist's latest ball offering today, [courtesy of the titleist rep calling into work yesterday]

their new ball the 3 piece, urethane cover, 'avx' is supposed to be good for distance, fly a little lower than their other balls, and be very soft feeling around the greens etc.

having previously been told how good the recently released 'tour soft' balls were [one of the worst ball I've ever hit] ......... I was a tad sceptical of yet another offering.

so it was 18 holes at beacy today, and I have to admit ..... it is one bloody good golf ball.

it pretty much does exactly as promised...... it is indeed very soft feeling on every club in the bag from driver through to putter.

there was no discernible loss of distance vs my usual nxt tour ball, or what I have also been trialling of late ....... srixon's z star.

the avx does seem to fly a little lower than the nxt, but it cuts through the wind nicely, and doesn't spin off line more than expected.

on approach shots it has good stopping power, but for me, the short game is where it is at.

chipping and putting is all about feel, and the ball gives you loads of feel.

to my eye it fitted my short game very nicely, and my chips rolled in close to the hole from the very first chip of the day.

the ball felt really nice off the putter, so soft and not in the least 'clicky'.

I am not one to jump onto a new ball quickly, as it often takes me more than a few rounds to work out if it will fit my game, but I can say already ..... it's definitely a ball I could use with confidence as it just seems to fit my game.

at the moment I don't know the price of them [to be released here sometime this month] ..... but if they are comparable to what I'm paying now, then l'll definitely be jumping onto them.

after titleists recent 'tour soft' debacle [in my eyes] .... they have certainly redeemed themselves with the avx I reckon.

so if your after a soft feeling ball, it might pay to give them a try. ;)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 06 June 2018 - 09:04 PM.

• Weetbix, Francie, Notupnotin and 1 other like this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#2 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2453 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:27 PM

Nice infomercial, Gaz :)

Jon...

• hack2489 likes this

#3 SteveH115

SteveH115

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

I tried the Titleist Tour Soft when they were giving away trial sleeves of them.  Truly an awful ball with no real benefits that I could see.  It was one of those balls they you were quite happy to see sailing out of bounds.

• GPJ_Longdriver and hack2489 like this

#4 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2974 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:43 PM

The AVX sounds like Titleists version of the Project a

#5 madness

madness

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

My understanding is the AVX is designed to compete with the TP5 for performance and price because the TP5 was taking too much market share off the PROV.

#6 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

More news .......... and I believe the price point is going to be comparable to ....... the pro v's, which surprises me  bit.

There are lots of soft balls available now, and it may (if that's correct), take market share off their own flagship Pro V, which wouldn't be ideal for Titleist I would imagine.

One would think that pricing it in direct competition to the soft ball segment instead would see it pick up customer support, yet it seems they may be pricing themselves out of their target market.

(I think Callaway and Chromesoft are the main ones eating into Titleist's market share.)

Just my thoughts though ....... ;)

• Notupnotin and hack2489 like this

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog.

#7 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:04 PM

Nice infomercial, Gaz :)

Jon...

Did you see my infomercial on the Tour Soft, Jon?

It was short and not sweet ........ the Tour Soft aren't neither tour worthy, nor soft ...... in my opinion.  :)

• The_Boz and hack2489 like this

WINS

#8 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 07 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

Hi Gaz,

This one is aimed exactly at the latest ChromeSoft (4 pce) and the Bridgestone RX-RXS and perhaps

Project (a) balls in my opinion,,,,as they are the ones that were creating a new category which Titleist

was not able to compete in as the NXT Tour S was not updated properly ,,,, the TourSoft should have

been the latest TruSoft to compete with SuperSoft which is also hurting Titleist not the multilayered balls.

Here's the big question ,, it is a 3 piece thermo cast U cover not the normal Titleist thermo set U cover ,,,

this is more economical ,,, you can recycle the waste material ,,,, but thats about it  plus the cover should

be a bit more durable and better white + yellow which they didn't want to make for the ProV1 ,,, and if its

soft and goes and stops wouldn't it actually take sales directly from ProV1 firstly and also get players

interested in what other balls might be out there that are also a bit softer than the ProV1?

Interesting days,,,, from what I have seen in our proshop no one is really asking for the ProV1X today,,,

and ChromeSoft has made many gains ,,,, so the timing is right to try something new for Titleist.

I think this ball should have been called ProV1A,,,, and help keep the ProV1 story moving forward.

Cheers,

Boz

Edited by The_Boz, 07 June 2018 - 08:45 PM.

• Notupnotin likes this

The Vision Project | UVee Staybright Ball Tec | @visiongolfball by WJB | #byWJB

#9 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:12 AM

It got a gold award ...

Attached File  2018-06-08.png   221.02KB   0 downloads

#10 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5324 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 08 June 2018 - 10:49 AM

And the editor got a new car😀
  • GPJ_Longdriver and hack2489 like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#11 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19658 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

Hi Gaz,

This one is aimed exactly at the latest ChromeSoft (4 pce) and the Bridgestone RX-RXS and perhaps

Project (a) balls in my opinion,,,,as they are the ones that were creating a new category which Titleist

was not able to compete in as the NXT Tour S was not updated properly ,,,, the TourSoft should have

been the latest TruSoft to compete with SuperSoft which is also hurting Titleist not the multilayered balls.

Here's the big question ,, it is a 3 piece thermo cast U cover not the normal Titleist thermo set U cover ,,,

this is more economical ,,, you can recycle the waste material ,,,, but thats about it  plus the cover should

be a bit more durable and better white + yellow which they didn't want to make for the ProV1 ,,, and if its

soft and goes and stops wouldn't it actually take sales directly from ProV1 firstly and also get players

interested in what other balls might be out there that are also a bit softer than the ProV1?

Interesting days,,,, from what I have seen in our proshop no one is really asking for the ProV1X today,,,

and ChromeSoft has made many gains ,,,, so the timing is right to try something new for Titleist.

I think this ball should have been called ProV1A,,,, and help keep the ProV1 story moving forward.

Cheers,

Boz

Hi Boz,

Yeah, the new urethane cover means they can now do a yellow ball now, and it is certainly more durable than a proV.

It will be interesting to see who is going to buy them, and if it's their expected target market or not.

• The_Boz likes this

WINS

#12 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 07:35 PM

Hi Gaz,

That's what I was thinking because I don't think they know who is going to play this ball plus

I dont understand how the TourSoft got past the player trials they do ,,,, its the perfect ball

to take on the SuperSoft but ,,,,,, 

Its funny in 2005 everyone thought I did not know what I was doing in regards to pushing

ahead with my really bright UV Yellow approach,,,, today I know it will continue to grow

everywhere except I suppose on the tour's where most players can change balls every 6

holes so the white balls are at their whitest,,,,

and no one is actually making a true ProV1 type ball yest in yellow ,,, Thermo-Set U 

materials can be coloured but its a lot easier to do so in a Therm-Cast U (TPU) ,,,,

Cheers,

Boz

#13 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5324 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:05 AM

Yep I love the yellow balls Boz. My eyesight is good but not brilliant even with contacts as I have both long and short sight now. Nice to have a high viz ball. If 3 others in group playing white I know which one is mine from a distance. I don’t think my game is good enough that the ball itself makes much difference (handicap 23ish). Much more important for me to have one less lost ball a round. That’s a huge selling point.
Like a softer feel on shots - we’ll dont like a hard pebble feel. No crow problems in Queensland that I have encountered.
I think there is still a bit of a stigma to playing yellow. You’re seen as not playing a “players” ball. But that will change like in tennis, and I don’t care anymore.
  • The_Boz and hack2489 like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#14 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:02 AM

Yep I love the yellow balls Boz. My eyesight is good but not brilliant even with contacts as I have both long and short sight now. Nice to have a high viz ball. If 3 others in group playing white I know which one is mine from a distance. I don’t think my game is good enough that the ball itself makes much difference (handicap 23ish). Much more important for me to have one less lost ball a round. That’s a huge selling point.
Like a softer feel on shots - we’ll dont like a hard pebble feel. No crow problems in Queensland that I have encountered.
I think there is still a bit of a stigma to playing yellow. You’re seen as not playing a “players” ball. But that will change like in tennis, and I don’t care anymore.

I prefer white, and the vision red n blue are definitely whiter, brighter than a pro v1.

I'll challenge you on the assertion that your game is not good enough to benefit from a better ball. Ability to hit into a green and have it hold, stick, will help anyone. Sure, you might be doing it for your third shot, but, even more important it holds so you don't have it run through leaving an awkward chip back.

I'll also challenge that a harder ball needs more finesse around the green. Something with a bit less zip has to help on fast greens, imho.

But, what would I know, I'm just a hack.
  • The_Boz likes this

#15 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3082 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Don't forget Hack a lot of players still like and prefer to pitch & run the balls,,,, too much grip can

make this more difficult ,,, so its always a case of what you like to do with your shots and then 

grabbing a ball that tends to suit.

I hear from many players that putt better with a clickier ball or call one of my clickier balls "soft"

when comapred to their normal gamer ...because that is what they got used to over 5/10/20

years of play ,,,, 

This is why I don't really want to confuse many regular type players with claims of spin rates /

trajectory type / even distance claims as any ball can be good or bad depending on the biggest

variable in golf today and actually forever ,,, you the player are not really like any other player.

Perception of what a ball does is very much in your hands and what you feel and see,,,,

and this changes from week to week,,,,,

Cheers,

Boz

• Commish, Groove_Snob, Hat_Trick and 3 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users