54 replies to this topic

#31 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14952 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 01:25 PM

Very much appreciate the reply and the great advice,cheers
I started golf in the nth nth/east outer edges of Melbourne about 17 year ago playing courses like Kilmore trentham hidden valley and probably called Broadford my home course. Loved the game and the friendships, but after a year or so I got frustrated with not improving, so gave it away.
But now I live on the Gold Coast about 7 minutes drive from sanctuary cove and hope island. And would really like to play them, but not there yet !!!! A bit like those Cleveland 588tt a bit beyond me at the moment.
So playing lakeside country club 5 minutes from home Cunungra about 30 and Chinderah 45 minutes down near tweed. All have a good variety to practice all parts of the game, and are great for me at the moment because they are relatively quiet.
My wife is joining me every Saturday morning and is just learning to play so we are going around fairly slow, but really enjoying it and the weather helps.
Thanks for your help
TBH

AS Hack mentioned go see one of the pros for a free consultation, they will set you straight on what is suited for your swing now and they have heaps of used clubs as well to try.,

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#32 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:55 PM

Had an early day today working out  at Jimboomba (1 hour west of GC ) so took the clubs and had a hit at Hills golf club!!!  I could be underestimating my possible handicap from playing on the shorter courses??? I played the front 9 and had a 60?? including a 10 and a 9 on a couple of the par 5's and lost 2 balls, so i'm not sure how high a handicap can be, but i could be a bit higher than the 20 to 25 if thats possible.

But nice course out there and definitely need some better clubs and will need to keep practicing. I will eventually see a pro about my game, but at the moment still getting back into the swing of it (pardon the pun). I will buy one of the following and see how i go for a while first.

Got some Nike VR covert 2.0 in my sights $250 

and also some Taylor made tour burners $230  that look in great nic although they are 10 years old (to old ?)

Thoughts ?

Thanks for all the replies and advice. cheers TBH

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix and hack2489 like this

#33 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42059 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:01 PM

Nothing wrong with Burners - still solid game improvement clubs - the tour are a bit less helpful though

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#34 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:04 PM

P.S. I am leaning toward the Nike from reviews and commish's comments. But the one's i'm looking at are in melbourne and will have to be posted, where as the Taylor made's are local and could pick up tomorrow for Saturdays game. And I have been known to be impatient.

#35 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14952 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:06 PM

Had an early day today working out  at Jimboomba (1 hour west of GC ) so took the clubs and had a hit at Hills golf club!!!  I could be underestimating my possible handicap from playing on the shorter courses??? I played the front 9 and had a 60?? including a 10 and a 9 on a couple of the par 5's and lost 2 balls, so i'm not sure how high a handicap can be, but i could be a bit higher than the 20 to 25 if thats possible.

But nice course out there and definitely need some better clubs and will need to keep practicing. I will eventually see a pro about my game, but at the moment still getting back into the swing of it (pardon the pun). I will buy one of the following and see how i go for a while first.

Got some Nike VR covert 2.0 in my sights $250 

and also some Taylor made tour burners $230  that look in great nic although they are 10 years old (to old ?)

Thoughts ?

Thanks for all the replies and advice. cheers TBH

Hills can beat the best of us!

We also have a SEQ Golf group you can join us when you feel, weetie is the man to contact about this.,

Also this coming October we have our nationals event over 6 days this year on Goldie, you can come play any or all the days!

http://forums.iseekg...t-registration/

• TBH likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#36 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:13 PM

Both sound great, thanks. Do I have to join a club to get a handicap? 

If not, could you suggest how I'd go about getting one?

#37 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5404 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

Both sound great, thanks. Do I have to join a club to get a handicap?
If not, could you suggest how I'd go about getting one?

Some suggestions for Gold Coast. Robina/Colonial have a membership with handicap for around $150. Don’t get you much in the way of rounds of golf, mainly just the handicap Boomerang Farm 7 day membership is I think $500. Not sure what other cheap handicap memberships are out there.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#38 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2510 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

Not sure what the specs are for the clubs that you're looking at ? I would think once you get them it would be worth the exercise and extra money to get them adjusted to you and your swing. Being a 20 to 30 marker can be very misleading with regards to equipment and you need to look to the future abit so that the set you pick isn't worthless in 3 months if you progress quickly.
The important parts are the length, flex, kp, weight of shaft and swingweight, lie-loft and grip size. These are the things that if correctly fitted or altered will help you progress quicker because you don't have to worry about your gear, just practising and playing the game ! Imho worth spending the extra money on getting the right specs to start with, makes going forward easier when purchasing your next set !
Jon...

Edited by golfguy33, 31 May 2018 - 05:10 PM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#39 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:53 PM

P.S. I am leaning toward the Nike from reviews and commish's comments. But the one's i'm looking at are in melbourne and will have to be posted, where as the Taylor made's are local and could pick up tomorrow for Saturdays game. And I have been known to be impatient.

Be patient grasshopper.  (That's rich coming from me, I have 5 unused sets sitting in the shed)

The TM tour burners although forgiving, they are forgiving for players off a lot lower handicap than you play to and I would suggest far better ball strikers.  Also I reckon $230 is a tad over the top unless they are in pretty good nick. 

Golfguy33 is well credentialed in his advice as he is a clubfitter based in Melbourne and quite a few of the Melbournians on here use his services.

Use what you have got for the time being.  From your description of what happened at The Hills a different set of bats isn't going to provide an instant fix.  There are heaps of Game Improvement  iron sets out there, some better than others, some a bit more expensive than others.  The Nikes I think would be a good fit for you, but to be sure, go see Pete at the Golf School at Palm Meadows.  He is a supporter of ISG, tell him he has been  recommended by Madam and others for a quick test drive.  He will steer you in the right direction.  Tell him about the Nikes, who knows he may have an iron or 2 of that persuasion and you can have a hit to see if they fit your swing and current ability.   If they perform well, they will probably suit you for quite a while to come.  If not, you have saved some moolah for something of a better fit.

• TBH likes this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#40 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

I'm really glad I've found this site, I feel I've come to the right place to help improve my game and have some fun along the way, and look forward to having a hit with all you fellow GC locals, it's certainly a great place to have a hit, especially this time of year compared to the freezing mornings back in Victoria. I realise that to play the best I can I will have to go and see a professional for equipment to fit my game.
Right at this moment I feel I'm better than I'm playing but not comfortable at all with what I'm playing with!!! Commish if you thought the spalding clubs I mentioned in my original post would make good garden stakes!! I can't imagine what I could use the sticks I'm playing with for. I will buy the Nike clubs and see what happens, as you have said and I've confirmed in reviews, they seem to be a fit for me right now, and at $250 I'm sure they will feel better than what I've got and when I get a bit of practice in i will go and get a good set fitted from a pro. $250 isn't a lot and I have three sons who I'm sure will get some use out of them eventually. ( they haven't quite got the bug yet, but I'm sure it will come.) thanks for all the advice, it really has been a great help. Can't wait to have a hit.
Cheers TBH

#41 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:29 PM

Be patient grasshopper.  (That's rich coming from me, I have 5 unused sets sitting in the shed)

The TM tour burners although forgiving, they are forgiving for players off a lot lower handicap than you play to and I would suggest far better ball strikers.  Also I reckon $230 is a tad over the top unless they are in pretty good nick. 

Golfguy33 is well credentialed in his advice as he is a clubfitter based in Melbourne and quite a few of the Melbournians on here use his services.

Use what you have got for the time being.  From your description of what happened at The Hills a different set of bats isn't going to provide an instant fix.  There are heaps of Game Improvement  iron sets out there, some better than others, some a bit more expensive than others.  The Nikes I think would be a good fit for you, but to be sure, go see Pete at the Golf School at Palm Meadows.  He is a supporter of ISG, tell him he has been  recommended by Madam and others for a quick test drive.  He will steer you in the right direction.  Tell him about the Nikes, who knows he may have an iron or 2 of that persuasion and you can have a hit to see if they fit your swing and current ability.   If they perform well, they will probably suit you for quite a while to come.  If not, you have saved some moolah for something of a better fit.

All very sound and sensible advice without any BS.

Except for the bit I've highlighted. :(

C'mon, he's keen, getting back into golf and has his eye on some clubs. The ONLY thing we need to say, ask is ...

When can you post up some pictures of your, new to you, bats? :D

#42 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

All very sound and sensible advice without any BS.

Except for the bit I've highlighted. :(

C'mon, he's keen, getting back into golf and has his eye on some clubs. The ONLY thing we need to say, ask is ...

When can you post up some pictures of your, new to you, bats? :D

True, the Nikes are a bloody nice club and will probably suit him just fine.. BUT they may not as well.  Just trying to give TBH the advice of sometimes it is better to try before you buy.  I don't want to see him blow his budget on something that is possibly not going to be of any value to him.  I wish I listened to my own advice more often.  I wouldn't have 5 sets sitting in the shed otherwise.. :angry:  :D  

• hack2489 likes this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.

#43 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1491 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:47 PM

True, the Nikes are a bloody nice club and will probably suit him just fine.. BUT they may not as well.  Just trying to give TBH the advice of sometimes it is better to try before you buy.  I don't want to see him blow his budget on something that is possibly not going to be of any value to him.  I wish I listened to my own advice more often.  I wouldn't have 5 sets sitting in the shed otherwise.. :angry:  :D  

Yes. Yes.

Voice of reason and sensibility. :rolleyes:

But.

We all like new clubs, even if just new to us when starting out. :D

And.

He has an exit plan, the kids can have them! ;)

So

They won't be sitting around in the shed collecting dust. :P

#44 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:51 PM

I'm really glad I've found this site, I feel I've come to the right place to help improve my game and have some fun along the way, and look forward to having a hit with all you fellow GC locals, it's certainly a great place to have a hit, especially this time of year compared to the freezing mornings back in Victoria. I realise that to play the best I can I will have to go and see a professional for equipment to fit my game.
Right at this moment I feel I'm better than I'm playing but not comfortable at all with what I'm playing with!!! Commish if you thought the spalding clubs I mentioned in my original post would make good garden stakes!! I can't imagine what I could use the sticks I'm playing with for. I will buy the Nike clubs and see what happens, as you have said and I've confirmed in reviews, they seem to be a fit for me right now, and at $250 I'm sure they will feel better than what I've got and when I get a bit of practice in i will go and get a good set fitted from a pro. $250 isn't a lot and I have three sons who I'm sure will get some use out of them eventually. ( they haven't quite got the bug yet, but I'm sure it will come.) thanks for all the advice, it really has been a great help. Can't wait to have a hit.
Cheers TBH

If you truly believe your first sentence, it's too late, you are already an inmate.  

• hack2489 and TBH like this

#45 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14258 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:54 PM

Yes. Yes.

Voice of reason and sensibility. :rolleyes:

But.

We all like new clubs, even if just new to us when starting out. :D

And.

He has an exit plan, the kids can have them! ;)

So

They won't be sitting around in the shed collecting dust. :P

All good points seeing as how he has decided to buy them anyway..  If the kids don't want them, I'm sure he can sell them to you.. :lol:

• hack2489 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users