• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

G'day all, I'm a 50 year old just getting back into golf (never been any good) and really enjoying it. I'm currently playing with a set of X Tec which i think i bought on ebay 10 to 15 years ago new for around $200 and want to up grade. I only want to spend 300 to 350 on a set of irons as i have a newish bag and a r7 driver and a couple fairway woods (3 and 5) I've had mixed responses whether or not to buy a new set to $350 or buy a quality used set for the same price, so any advice and opinions would be much appreciated. All though i do not yet have a handicap i would estimate it would be around 20 to 25. Not bad short game but struggling for accuracy on long holes. 

These are the irons I am currently looking at !!! (opinions please ) 

They all look in good nic and the one brand new set?

Wilson 1200 aprox 8 years old 3 to sw

Nike vrs covert 2.0 4 to pw 4 or 5 years old

cleveland 588tt 4 to pw not sure of age but look pretty good

Brand new Spalding True Black 6 to sw plus 460 driver, 4 and 5 hybrids and a 3 wood

Any thoughts ?

Thanks TBH  

#2 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14122 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 30 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

G'day all, I'm a 50 year old just getting back into golf (never been any good) and really enjoying it. I'm currently playing with a set of X Tec which i think i bought on ebay 10 to 15 years ago new for around $200 and want to up grade. I only want to spend 300 to 350 on a set of irons as i have a newish bag and a r7 driver and a couple fairway woods (3 and 5) I've had mixed responses whether or not to buy a new set to $350 or buy a quality used set for the same price, so any advice and opinions would be much appreciated. All though i do not yet have a handicap i would estimate it would be around 20 to 25. Not bad short game but struggling for accuracy on long holes. 

These are the irons I am currently looking at !!! (opinions please ) 

They all look in good nic and the one brand new set?

Wilson 1200 aprox 8 years old 3 to sw

Nike vrs covert 2.0 4 to pw 4 or 5 years old

cleveland 588tt 4 to pw not sure of age but look pretty good

Brand new Spalding True Black 6 to sw plus 460 driver, 4 and 5 hybrids and a 3 wood

Any thoughts ?

Thanks TBH  

Hi TBH and welcome to ISG also known as 'The Asylum".  You will work that out for yourself if you stick around long enough.

There are others on here that are far more well placed to advise you in regard to clubs, but my 2c worth is;

Wilson 1200.  Not sure which ones you are talking about because these Wilson have had sets of 1200 clubs (Reds, GE's, GC's DX's etc) since the late 80's and have been upgraded with design changes.  Wilson clubs themselves are very much underrated I feel.  These would be a good starting point for you dependent upon price.  They are/were very forgiving and very much in the Game Improvement category of clubs.  If they are around the 8 to 10 year old range then they would have been around the $400 mark brand new, so personally I would not be paying any more than $100 to $150 tops for these in good nick.  

Nike VR_S Covert 2.0   Good game improvement cavity backs aimed at the mid handicapper, which is where you put yourself and a solid launching pad to help lower your handicap ( with a heap of game time and practice of course) Price range of around the $250 mark dependent on condition.

Cleveland 588tt.  Not for you just yet I would think.  These are more of a players iron and might be a tad out of your league at present.

Spalding True Black.  They would make great garden stakes.

Good Luck on your venture back into the madness that is golf.

PS... Where are you based and play your golf??

Edited by Commish, 30 May 2018 - 07:45 PM.

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#3 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Very much appreciate the reply and the great advice,cheers
I started golf in the nth nth/east outer edges of Melbourne about 17 year ago playing courses like Kilmore trentham hidden valley and probably called Broadford my home course. Loved the game and the friendships, but after a year or so I got frustrated with not improving, so gave it away.
But now I live on the Gold Coast about 7 minutes drive from sanctuary cove and hope island. And would really like to play them, but not there yet !!!! A bit like those Cleveland 588tt a bit beyond me at the moment.
So playing lakeside country club 5 minutes from home Cunungra about 30 and Chinderah 45 minutes down near tweed. All have a good variety to practice all parts of the game, and are great for me at the moment because they are relatively quiet.
My wife is joining me every Saturday morning and is just learning to play so we are going around fairly slow, but really enjoying it and the weather helps.
Thanks for your help
TBH
  • Madam likes this

#4 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5324 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:50 PM

Hi TBH
If you’re of 20-25 you are similar to myself. You can play anywhere you want at that level. Especially social rounds where the score isn’t too important. I’m GC as well but near Royal Pines. There are a few of us on the GC and at the moment we occasionally play 9 holes social on a Friday afternoon. Keep an eye for the thread in Iseek Golf Days. I’ve just joined Boomerang Farm which is a great 9 hole course that you would both enjoy. Not long but interesting.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#5 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:38 PM

Gday toph, boomerang looks really nice and were thinking about giving a try but it looks pretty tight and not sure my wife is ready for that yet. Can you recommend any other courses around the coast like Chinderah or Cunungra?
I will definitely keep an eye out for those gold days
Thanks

#6 TBH

TBH

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

Golf days

#7 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14600 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:49 PM

Hey TBH. Welcome. I’m on GC as well and part of that little 9 hole fri arvo group

Mt tambourine 9 hole, Parkwood, emerald lakes and KDV are others in that range you are mentioning

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#8 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14600 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 09:50 PM

Oh yeah I’m headmof the asylum as well but samer than most most here;)

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#9 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:18 AM

I thought someone here would be advising to "get fitted" for clubs.

If you are average height and swing speed, you can buy plenty of great second hand gear. The big manufacturers are always putting out new gear, buy the previous models of cavity backed TaylorMade or Callaway. As Commish said, some of the models you have mentioned won't have any value now, certainly not in 2 years time.

The boys over at ozgolf sell tons of gear on their forums (hope that's OK, Mads). There is a buy/sell/swap Facebook page as well.

Don't spend too much, if you are committed to playing you will improve and can trade up at some point.

GL

#10 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1483 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:00 AM

TBH, welcome... Now, let's just get the record straight from the outset, it's not 'just' Chinderah. It is affectionately known by us locals as "Royal" Chinderah.

Now, if you are playing there, you may run into me as I use the practice facilities there regularly. Happy to meet and have a round with you. Happy to meet and discuss golf, clubs and this crazy place.

I am a Hack too, so no pressure.

Also, these Friday afternoon games, come and join us, bit of fun, very relaxed and very open to anyone

Now, the clubs, irons...

Can I suggest you go and have a chat to Pete or Matt at "the golf school" at palm meadows, or, if you're at Chinderah, have a chat with Ben.

Reason? They will quickly give you honest advice as to clubs to fit your goals and will probably know of someone looking to sell a set that will fit your needs, or at the golf school, they may even have something there.

Neither will charge you for a chat.

Getting advice from the internet without anyone seeing you swing is a bit like buying clothes online without a fitting room. You might get the right size and fit, but it's a lucky dip.

Personally I think there are other clubs that might suit you better.

And, yes, you'll get better value, better clubs, going second hand.

Commish is spot on with his usage for the Spalding clubs.
  • Madam likes this

#11 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14122 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

Oh yeah I’m headmof the asylum as well but samer than most most here;)

Yep you are the head mof  and as samer as you can get.  Cuppla cheer beers last night Mads??

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#12 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14600 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:52 AM

ha ha

Yep you are the head mof  and as samer as you can get.  Cuppla cheer beers last night Mads??

that is so bad I wish I could blame on booze-  my eyesight terrible at night it seems!

• Commish likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#13 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35806 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:21 AM

ha ha

that is so bad I wish I could blame on booze-  my eyesight terrible at night it seems!

Yeah, I was too polite to say anything.   ;)  :P

• Madam likes this

Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012

Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013

Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013

Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015

Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015​

Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015

Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015

Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016

Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event

Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016

​Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016

Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016 

"If a foursome is pressing you, wave them through - and then speed up." - Deane Beman

http://www.golflink....k_No=3013311351

Lowest ever handicap - 7.5

#14 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14600 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

I thought someone here would be advising to "get fitted" for clubs.

If you are average height and swing speed, you can buy plenty of great second hand gear. The big manufacturers are always putting out new gear, buy the previous models of cavity backed TaylorMade or Callaway. As Commish said, some of the models you have mentioned won't have any value now, certainly not in 2 years time.

The boys over at ozgolf sell tons of gear on their forums (hope that's OK, Mads). There is a buy/sell/swap Facebook page as well.

Don't spend too much, if you are committed to playing you will improve and can trade up at some point.

GL

Thanks for the plug  we sell gear here too!;)

• Francie and PerryGroves like this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#15 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14600 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 10:29 AM

Take 2

Oh yeah I’m the head of the asylum as well but saner than most most here;) 

• Francie likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users