#1 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8594 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

Today we held our national sorry day event or what is more commonly known as the annual foursome championships...
I got to see more comical outcomes today than I've seen in ages.... we were confident in all decisions and associated penalties apart from one...

That decision resolves around what occurred on a tee.... player in opposition teed up and smashed his ball out of sight... good shot said all
I teed up my ball and checked position of same against markers.... hmmm could see that marker was wrong colour
Said to player that had teed of 1st
Mate you've hit off the wrong markers...

Okay questions
Who hits next and from were
Are therr any penalties applicable...

Thanks

VTTP 006

Miracle

#2 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13073 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:20 PM

Penalties don't alter the order of play.

The other dude is hitting three from the correct tee.
  • hack2489 likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#3 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8594 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 06:37 PM

Penalties don't alter the order of play.

The other dude is hitting three from the correct tee.

Yeah I know about how penalties apply ib foursomes...
Yes other dude rehit tee shot from correct markers...
Discussion was held about if penalty was applicable

VTTP 006

Miracle

#4 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

Yeah I know about how penalties apply ib foursomes...
Yes other dude rehit tee shot from correct markers...
Discussion was held about if penalty was applicable

Same as single stroke mate. Penalty for hitting off wrong teeing ground. Not a  Matchplay event.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#5 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

In match play, there is no penalty.  You have the option of accepting your opponent's shot or requiring him to replay.

2 stroke penalty in stroke play but  strokes made from outside the teeing ground do not count. 

Rule 11-4

#6 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41665 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 27 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

So what bump said
  • pom and hack2489 like this
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#7 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13073 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:43 AM

So what bump said

It depended if it was foursomes match-play or as I had assumed, foursome stroke play.
But as Peg said "opponent" I was wrong and should have given the match-play ruling of no penalty.
  • hack2489 likes this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#8 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8594 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 08:58 AM

It depended if it was foursomes match-play or as I had assumed, foursome stroke play.
But as Peg said "opponent" I was wrong and should have given the match-play ruling of no penalty.

yeah sorry Bump.... should not have used the term opponent ....

Opposition for the day maybe

It was stroke play

Yes you were correct and thanks

In match play, there is no penalty.  You have the option of accepting your opponent's shot or requiring him to replay.

2 stroke penalty in stroke play but  strokes made from outside the teeing ground do not count. 

Rule 11-4

Thanks for the rule Colin

• VLAD likes this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#9 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

Peg, looks like you are done, might thieve your thread with another foursomes question

36 hole stroke play foursomes, conditions of play do not dictate that players hitting off even tees in the morning round have to swap to odds in the afternoon, even though it's "the way it's always" been done.

Should we change the conditions next year or is it more common to allow teams to do whatever they choose?

#10 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1868 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

Peg, looks like you are done, might thieve your thread with another foursomes question

36 hole stroke play foursomes, conditions of play do not dictate that players hitting off even tees in the morning round have to swap to odds in the afternoon, even though it's "the way it's always" been done.

Should we change the conditions next year or is it more common to allow teams to do whatever they choose?

I don't have more than a few Club's Conditions in mind. So I don't know what is more common.  

Certainly if you want it done in a particular way you need to specify that in The Conditions of Competition. For either men's  or women's foursomes I think the players should decide who is hitting from the odds or evens for each stipulated round.

For Mixed foursomes it is probably sensible for the Committee to require a specific gender order on odds and evens. There can be a few reasons for doing this. I think the most relevant is the fact that on any particular hole the distance between the men's and women's tees can be considerable. On some Courses the difference can approach 100 metres. It is a practical thing. 

Also  it is usually not  pleasant for women to match up against a men on a teeing ground. Of course some women can be long hitters and relish the challenge. That is uncommon at Club level.

• PerryGroves likes this

#11 ColinCL

ColinCL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh, Scotland

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

I prefer leaving it to the players to decide as  as part of the strategic thinking of the side. But unlike  Languid, I include mixed foursomes in that.  

On my own course, for example,  in a men's event there can be a advantage in choosing the evens for the longer hitter.  In mixed foursomes, the decision might be influenced by one hole (an even numbered one) where the ladies' tee is forward of the men's where the guys have  a tricky tee shot over a  gully and between ball-grabbing trees. But then if you go with that and have the lady play the evens, she is then driving at two at  of the longest holes on the course.  I think the thinking needed to make the decision is part of the game. A side which makes the better tactical choice has created an advantage for itself.

• PerryGroves likes this

#12 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:43 PM

I prefer leaving it to the players to decide as  as part of the strategic thinking of the side. But unlike  Languid, I include mixed foursomes in that.  

On my own course, for example,  in a men's event there can be a advantage in choosing the evens for the longer hitter.  In mixed foursomes, the decision might be influenced by one hole (an even numbered one) where the ladies' tee is forward of the men's where the guys have  a tricky tee shot over a  gully and between ball-grabbing trees. But then if you go with that and have the lady play the evens, she is then driving at two at  of the longest holes on the course.  I think the thinking needed to make the decision is part of the game. A side which makes the better tactical choice has created an advantage for itself.

Colin. I ran a mixed foursomes event exactly as you letting the teams decide the order from the tees. Received quiet a few  complaints of how this could give some teams an advantage on certain holes.  I thought this was the idea, the teams deciding which order suited them the best. But then no matter what you decide there will always be some golfers that think they know better.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#13 MaxxOn

MaxxOn

On Top

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20172 posts
  • LocationThe Burrow

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:21 PM

This thread title is so misleading, I am disappoint.

#14 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13073 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

This thread title is so misleading, I am disappoint.

Of course it is, handsome
  • MaxxOn likes this

#15 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8594 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

Same as single stroke mate. Penalty for hitting off wrong teeing ground. Not a Matchplay event.

That's what I thought mate...
Full story....
Smithy and I were having a piss funny day with B1 and B2.... who were having certain issues that didn't represent their true ability as golfers... B1 was hitting hooks instead of his usual draw...
When we arrived at 9th tee B2 was busy issuing instructions to B1 about how he wanted tee shot hit so that he woild have a chance if putting their 2nd shot close to the green on the par 5.... there was much laughter and mirth and B1 duely smashed drive to a point middle of the fairway inside of 200 to hole....
I was the following player of tee and when I noticed B1's error said to B2 you gave him to many instructions etc... more laughter and muttering and B2 hit from correct tee...
When we finished hole discussion was held about score on the hole.... my gut feeling was that there was a penalty applicable but got out voted... wasn't that worried because B1 and B2 were not going to win anything apart from the Naga...
Subsequent discussions with B1 and B2 revealed that whilst playing away at another clubs open day a similar issue occurred... senior player in that group convinced all that there was no penalty........

B1 and B2 now know the correct rule and are appreciative of the input...

B2 did return favour to B1 with a hooked tee shot that rattled around in a gum tree and came to rest up the the gum tree... luckily I could see tip of ball in amongst bark... after some thought and scrambling ball was retrieved and put back into play with correct procedure and penalties.... not to be outdone B1 put his subsequent shot 6 inches from out of bounds fence...

VTTP 006

Miracle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users