#31 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 25 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

I just wanted to check we did the right thing.

and did you do the right thing?

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#32 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

I resemble that remark.

I have had to read and understand heavy technical legislation for my work over the years, but find the format and structure of the 'rules of golf' by far the worst of anything.

I've tried several times, but, it's just sh.it format.

And.

Golf is a hobby not my profession. I'd rather play.

But.

Accept, I should know.

Key for me, is asking about the rules isn't a penalty.

And.

Social.

Some old blokes really get off on giving younger golfers lessons in the rules. It's a good discussion topic back at the 19th.

If it costs me a shot here or there, so what. My sh.it swing does far worse. I'd rather get the swing right, chip close and putter working than be able to recite the rules of golf.

And that is fine. As long as you know the correct procedure when your ball does not go down the middle of the fairway.Quite often asking fellow players what the ruling is in a certain situation can result in incorrect information. Sometimes ,sadly, to the players disadvantage. One I can think of, popular with older players for some time, was that you will be penalised for taking your golf buggy into a hazard.Had that argument a few times.

And water hazard rules seem to confuse many players. Not sure why as they are not that difficult to understand.

If you are going to play competition golf you require a reasonable knowledge of the rules of the game. As you do for any game you compete in. If you play social then it does not matter what rules you use or abuse.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#33 okitoki

okitoki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 07:24 PM

One I can think of, popular with older players for some time, was that you will be penalised for taking your golf buggy into a hazard.Had that argument a few times.

woah... I remember that rule as a kid (about 30+ years ago)... so that doesnt apply now?

• hack2489 likes this

#34 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23988 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 25 May 2018 - 08:43 PM

I resemble that remark.
I have had to read and understand heavy technical legislation for my work over the years, but find the format and structure of the 'rules of golf' by far the worst of anything.
I've tried several times, but, it's just sh.it format.
And.
Golf is a hobby not my profession. I'd rather play.
But.
Accept, I should know.
Key for me, is asking about the rules isn't a penalty.
And.
Social.
Some old blokes really get off on giving younger golfers lessons in the rules. It's a good discussion topic back at the 19th.
If it costs me a shot here or there, so what. My sh.it swing does far worse. I'd rather get the swing right, chip close and putter working than be able to recite the rules of golf.

I worked in a bank for a few decades and the rule books there were massively larger than the Rules of Golf. I also spent a similar time in the army where a knowledge of the Defence Act was required (and examined on). The structure of the Rules of Golf book is basically appalling compared to such other volumes. It's no wonder that the average Joe has difficulty with the rules and hence their cbf attitude.
  • hack2489 likes this

#35 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:48 AM

It's no wonder that the average Joe has difficulty with the rules and hence their cbf attitude.

If they're having difficulty now because they can't be bothered to learn/understand the Rules, wait till next year!

• pom likes this

#36 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

woah... I remember that rule as a kid (about 30+ years ago)... so that doesnt apply now?

The rule forbids grounding the club in a Hazard. Nothing else. To my Knowledge never has.I could be corrected on the latter.At my last club there was one area on the inside of the dogleg that was hazard but the ball was often playable in there. Some of the older players used to tell you it was a 2 stroke penalty if you walked through there with your buggy. You can even carry more clubs than you need and lay the extra clubs down in the hazard as long as you do not test the surface. This applies in a bunker too

No VTPP11

#37 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13632 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 26 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

and did you do the right thing?

It would appear so.

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2018 Keysborough GC Gala Team Event Winner

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Frank" founding member

#38 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1455 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 26 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

I remember it too, and from about the same time frame, but not sure if it was a "rule of golf" or 'course etiquette'.

I just remember getting a clip around the ear and a kick in the bum one day When we were played golf for school sports during winter (we were not allowed to do surfing for school sport during winter) an old bloke, he was probably only about 40, but at the time as a 14yo he seemed WAY old...

Anyway, he gave me a two mates a clip around the ear and boot up the bum when we had our pull trolley carts in a bunker one day. He told the school teacher too, the teacher who spent the afternoon at the bar, who also promptly gave us a stern talking to about behaviour at golf.

I've never taken a cart, buggy, trolley, bag or extra clubs into a hazzard since.
  • Madam likes this

#39 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1868 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 02:18 PM

Hack2489
That 40 year old was committing a common error adults make with youngsters...not giving a simple explanation.
The clip around the head was worse, though.
Etiquette is part of The Rules. A very important aspect to understand when getting into learning to play.
Rules make more sense when simple explanations are given. I think there is a move towards that by the authorities.
I see that in some of the material accompanying the New Rules.
  • Madam and hack2489 like this

#40 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23988 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

I remember it too, and from about the same time frame, but not sure if it was a "rule of golf" or 'course etiquette'.
I just remember getting a clip around the ear and a kick in the bum one day When we were played golf for school sports during winter (we were not allowed to do surfing for school sport during winter) an old bloke, he was probably only about 40, but at the time as a 14yo he seemed WAY old...
Anyway, he gave me a two mates a clip around the ear and boot up the bum when we had our pull trolley carts in a bunker one day. He told the school teacher too, the teacher who spent the afternoon at the bar, who also promptly gave us a stern talking to about behaviour at golf.
I've never taken a cart, buggy, trolley, bag or extra clubs into a hazzard since.

Just think, if you knew the rules you could've told him where to go. But study (of anything) was probably not a priority.

A couple of other points to note, however. If you fail to extricate your ball from the bunker and it hits your equipment, that's a penalty. The more stuff you put into the bunker, the more restorative work you have to do when you take it all out again.

The practical answer is to not take extras into a bunker.

Edited by OldBogey, 26 May 2018 - 05:15 PM.

• pom and hack2489 like this

#41 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 26 May 2018 - 07:22 PM

But you can roll your buggy through a water hazard. Sometimes. :P

• Joe79 likes this
No VTPP11

#42 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6857 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:53 PM

It would appear so.

arnt you glad a devil in disguise whispered in your ear in the end ,  that devil was glad you ask the question

• iRON MiCK likes this
I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#43 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23988 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:11 PM

But you can roll your buggy through a water hazard. Sometimes. :P

I would hope that my cart never finds its way into a WH.

#44 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:34 PM

I would hope that my cart never finds its way into a WH.

Have seen the odd 1 or 2 that have.

No VTPP11

#45 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1868 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:27 PM

Have seen the odd 1 or 2 that have.

True confession. I have an MGI cruiser buggy. It is now some years old.
The stop/start button sits quite exposed on the top of the handle.
I found on a few occasions aß I pulled aclub out of the bag to play a shot I would accidentally touch the go button with the handle of the club.
Sometimes I would not notice the buggy starting to move.
It moves stealthily when on low speed setting.
Twice it silently and with rat cunning moved away behind some bushes and was stopped there out of sight.
It is really weird to look around as you walk of the green and find your buggy is gone. These two times I quickly found the buggy.
On another occasion it moved silently away and found a passage between a garden and some shrubs, across the vacant next tee. From there it successfully skirted a fairway bunker and made progress to creek maybe another 50 metres where it entered a spot where there was a ledge just past the margin. It the tipped over and stopped running by immersing the handle in the shallow waters of the creek.
This time with hardly anybody on the course nobody saw any part of this epic trip.
It took quite a while to find the buggy, which of course would not operate.
Very embarrassing. The whole Club were paying out on me for ages.
  • GhettoGolfer, pom and hack2489 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users