2 replies to this topic

#1 tuberider

tuberider

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:21 PM

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any place advertising open competitions in the Sydney area over weekends, in medias such as website, brochure snail mail to golf clubs etc.  I am mainly interested in competitions aimed for single handicap comps but not necessarily only.  

These would be amateur comps only, strictly no professionals, which resembles the pro tour as close as possible.  They would all be stroke play comps with prices for 1,2 and 3 place such as gift cards, products, equipment etc.  The entry criteria would typically be a max handicap level which would decrease based on the amount of signed up competitors.  Not sure about the algorithm here but something like this:

If the projected max handicap level is 5.0 for a total of max 150 competitors.

- If you have 200 registered then 5.0 - ((200-150) / 150) = 4.67, hence the 50 players with a handicap above 4.67 can not enter or if handicap is the same, last person entered etc.

When I used to play back in my home country (Sweden) we used to have these type of comps about twice a month within a radius of 150km of my local golf club.  It was great fun and it was a great opportunity to play and compete against similar people in the area as well as the chance to play at private courses hosting such tournaments.

I guess my question is: are there these type of comps in Australia and if so, how do you find out about them.

-Martin

#2 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5679 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:28 PM

Hi,

I am wondering if there is any place advertising open competitions in the Sydney area over weekends, in medias such as website, brochure snail mail to golf clubs etc.  I am mainly interested in competitions aimed for single handicap comps but not necessarily only.  

These would be amateur comps only, strictly no professionals, which resembles the pro tour as close as possible.  They would all be stroke play comps with prices for 1,2 and 3 place such as gift cards, products, equipment etc.  The entry criteria would typically be a max handicap level which would decrease based on the amount of signed up competitors.  Not sure about the algorithm here but something like this:

If the projected max handicap level is 5.0 for a total of max 150 competitors.

- If you have 200 registered then 5.0 - ((200-150) / 150) = 4.67, hence the 50 players with a handicap above 4.67 can not enter or if handicap is the same, last person entered etc.

When I used to play back in my home country (Sweden) we used to have these type of comps about twice a month within a radius of 150km of my local golf club.  It was great fun and it was a great opportunity to play and compete against similar people in the area as well as the chance to play at private courses hosting such tournaments.

I guess my question is: are there these type of comps in Australia and if so, how do you find out about them.

-Martin

Hey Martin, yes there are elite amateur tournaments in NSW, they compete for the Vardon trophy I believe which is the lowest scoring avg over a minimum number of rounds played in sanctioned tournaments. 

You can look through them here. Some more prestigious tournaments with Australian and World Ranking points on offer will have qualification avenues and very low max handicaps, but some are quite accessible for someone playing off 5-10. They are a very good way to play some good courses and play alongside some good golfers. 

http://www.golfnsw.o...edule/2018/5626

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Monty85 and Parmachine like this

#3 tuberider

tuberider

Suspect

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 03:54 PM

Hi Itchy4Scratch,

Perfect, that was exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

-Martin

Hey Martin, yes there are elite amateur tournaments in NSW, they compete for the Vardon trophy I believe which is the lowest scoring avg over a minimum number of rounds played in sanctioned tournaments. 

You can look through them here. Some more prestigious tournaments with Australian and World Ranking points on offer will have qualification avenues and very low max handicaps, but some are quite accessible for someone playing off 5-10. They are a very good way to play some good courses and play alongside some good golfers. 

http://www.golfnsw.o...edule/2018/5626

• Itchy4Scratch likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: open, competition, sydney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users