pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

There lies the problem.

You could have simply said nothing and ignored the breach.

But by informing him that you had seen the breach and were not going to claim a penalty, together with his not applying the penalty himself, amounted to an agreement to waive the rule. The penalty for which is DQ for you both.

OK I see where you are coming from but does informing the  player that you are not going to penalize him really mean that you have agreed to waive a rule of golf.

The reason I ask

Playing up the 18th hole 1up opponent puts tee shot into water hazard.He then takes a drop but drops in the wrong place And plays a stroke I am in the centre of the fairway & decide not to penalize the player for the breach. A few moments later he realized that he had done the wrong thing and offered to go back & play another stroke. Realistically as I am on the green for 2 & he is short for 3 I am unlikely to lose the hole & if he goes back to play another stroke he would almost certainly lose the hole & the match.As I told him not to worry about it and we played out the hole I take it that that would mean that we were both DQd for agreeing to waive a rule of golf.

BTW I won the match 2 up

Edited by pom, 16 May 2018 - 02:22 PM.

• BarnEsy05 likes this
Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#62 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:08 PM

OK I see where you are coming from but does informing the  player that you are not going to penalize him really mean that you have agreed to waive a rule of golf.

Yes, if he then doesn't apply the penalty to himself.

You both know there is a breach and both know the other knows. If the penalty is not applied, it is by agreement.

In your example, he played from a wrong place and immediately lost the hole (20-7b).

If you both chose to ignore the fact that the match was over, then DQ for you both.

Edited by AAA, 16 May 2018 - 05:09 PM.

• PuttOvr likes this

#63 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:22 PM

Yes, if he then doesn't apply the penalty to himself.

You both know there is a breach and both know the other knows. If the penalty is not applied, it is by agreement.

In your example, he played from a wrong place and immediately lost the hole (20-7b).

If you both chose to ignore the fact that the match was over, then DQ for you both.

Ah well. Too late to go back now. :D

No VTPP11

#64 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:36 PM

Whilst on the subject here is another example. Similar scenario. Going up the last hole 1 up I hit my tee shot into a garden bed. For many years this garden bed had been designated GUR but this was changed at the beginning of the season that this occured. I took an unplayable played out the hole and lost the hole by 1 shot. My opponent stated that that was incorrect as the garden bed was GUR.& conceded the match. No amount of persuasion would get him to change his mind. Thoughts please.

No VTPP11

#65 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3060 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

As your opponent won the last hole so you were tied at that point. The match was not yet concluded so your opponent may concede the match. He cannot withdraw and you cannot refuse.

#66 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

As your opponent won the last hole so you were tied at that point. The match was not yet concluded so your opponent may concede the match. He cannot withdraw and you cannot refuse.

The Club Captain asked me  a bit later what had happened. I explained. He shook his head & walked away :) .I knew the correct procedure but did not like to win because of his misunderstanding.

No VTPP11

#67 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:55 AM

In Pennant Match. I had an opponent concede the match because he was mistaken on the state of the match.
I wondered why he was conceding, I thought it was Dormie, me 3 up.
It felt hollow. It was a situation where I was playing with another match in the group. My fellow Club member was Rules aware. He knew the Rule.
I sometimes wonder about the tight situation on concession.
By the way I dislike the distraction of playing with another match. It is particularly annoying what can happen on putting greens.

Edited by languid, 18 May 2018 - 10:56 AM.

• PuttOvr likes this

#68 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8566 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 20 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

If the financial situation of the club depends on the players bast*&%ing the Rules of golf, then the club is already in trouble for many other reasons.  Most members and participants in competitions appreciate that they will be played by the Rules of golf.

rogolf

I wish that my home club had a few hundred members wanting to put their names down on a time sheet for weekend play...

I wish we had a time sheet

I wish we had a club professional

I wish we had a qualified greenkeeper and staff for the course

I wish we had at least a designated day for playing matchplays

But in the hard light of day I know this won't happen

We are lucky to get 20 to 30 players for a Saturday comp

We are lucky to get a dozen on Sundays

We do have a course that considering the current drought is doing okay, tees and greens are good, parts of the fairways are ok, the rest lets not go there...

Given the above we are like a lot of small country clubs, doing our best to keep the place open and maintaining the course. Income is vital to that cause through whatever means that is derived. Either through club house or from those playing golf. If we have half the field playing matchplay in the true form of play we are down half our income for the day so what are we supposed to do. Either decide that we don't have match plays anymore or allow a match play to be played on conjunction with the days event.

I know the answer in the ideal world that book of rules was written for but in the meantime we need to keep the players we have and the doors open

• OldBogey and PuttOvr like this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#69 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23923 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:23 PM

Peg, an alternative might be to have a 'daily play fee' for members, being substantially less than visitor's green fees, and coincidentally being what the current 'comp fee' is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users