golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:20 PM

Thanks CB80 
Just a question
When you mob play your club pennant matches do you give putts and let the guy your playing bend rules to suit the match if needed 

PO, could you give us some instances of the rules that you and your opponents might

" bend " in your matches ?

Or let us know what meds you're currently taking, thanks in advance, Jon...

Edited by golfguy33, 14 May 2018 - 11:21 PM.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#47 Rodent

Rodent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:37 AM

I was playing a match when my opponent started brushing sand away from behind his ball (he was a metre or 2 short of a bunker without much of a lip and there was a lot of sand on the ground). I informed him that was against the rules and that the penalty was loss of hole.

On this day, the rules were preferred lie through the green and the situation didn't sit well with me as I didn't think he was getting a real advantage considering he could easily have found a good lie when placing his ball. So I told him that I was not going to call the penalty on him for this reason. I went on to win the match on the 20th hole.

I was eliminated the following week in the semi-final. Had I gone on to win the final, is it true that for waiving the rule for moving sand from behind his ball, that I myself could have been subject to disqualification?

• PuttOvr likes this

#48 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

Giving putts
Hitting out of turn 
Dropping a ball instead of going back to the tee block 
Asking what club you played 

Hitting  of the ladies tee block as it was pissing with rain and the path was mud soaked path
Played sand scrapes one day and if the scrap look crap after 2 goes give them another go 
Mud on the ball I would say pick it up and wipe it bro 
On and On the list would go 

#49 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38217 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:23 AM

You are allowed to give putts.

• Nathan No More likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#50 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:57 AM

Giving putts - permitted by the Rules
Hitting out of turn - opponent has the right to cancel your shot and have it replayed
Dropping a ball instead of going back to the tee block - silly decision by the opponent to permit this, probably dq to both for agreeing to waive a Rule
Asking what club you played - loss of hole for the player that asked, if it was before he played

Hitting  of the ladies tee block as it was pissing with rain and the path was mud soaked path - probably dq for agreeing to waive a Rule
Played sand scrapes one day and if the scrap look crap after 2 goes give them another go - probably dq for agreeing to waive a Rule
Mud on the ball I would say pick it up and wipe it bro - one stroke penalty

Wait until you play with a referee present!  The match may be over very quickly.

#51 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:59 PM

Giving putts - permitted by the Rules
Hitting out of turn - opponent has the right to cancel your shot and have it replayed
Dropping a ball instead of going back to the tee block - silly decision by the opponent to permit this, probably dq to both for agreeing to waive a Rule
Asking what club you played - loss of hole for the player that asked, if it was before he played

Hitting  of the ladies tee block as it was pissing with rain and the path was mud soaked path - probably dq for agreeing to waive a Rule
Played sand scrapes one day and if the scrap look crap after 2 goes give them another go - probably dq for agreeing to waive a Rule
Mud on the ball I would say pick it up and wipe it bro - one stroke penalty

Wait until you play with a referee present!  The match may be over very quickly.

Humbug 

#52 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11892 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

Humbug 

If you are going to ignore some of the rules why not find another name for the game because you are not playing Golf. Golf has a set of rules that you must adhere to.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#53 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11892 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:42 PM

I was playing a match when my opponent started brushing sand away from behind his ball (he was a metre or 2 short of a bunker without much of a lip and there was a lot of sand on the ground). I informed him that was against the rules and that the penalty was loss of hole.

On this day, the rules were preferred lie through the green and the situation didn't sit well with me as I didn't think he was getting a real advantage considering he could easily have found a good lie when placing his ball. So I told him that I was not going to call the penalty on him for this reason. I went on to win the match on the 20th hole.

I was eliminated the following week in the semi-final. Had I gone on to win the final, is it true that for waiving the rule for moving sand from behind his ball, that I myself could have been subject to disqualification?

You cannot agree to waive a rule of golf. However you are entitled to choose not to penalize a player. No penalty as far as I can see.

No VTPP11

#54 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:57 PM

If you are going to ignore some of the rules why not find another name for the game because you are not playing Golf. Golf has a set of rules that you must adhere to.

However you are entitled to choose not to penalize a player.

You are saying one thing and meaning another 

#55 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3055 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

So I told him that I was not going to call the penalty on him for this reason.

is it true that for waiving the rule for moving sand from behind his ball, that I myself could have been subject to disqualification?

There lies the problem.

You could have simply said nothing and ignored the breach.

But by informing him that you had seen the breach and were not going to claim a penalty, together with his not applying the penalty himself, amounted to an agreement to waive the rule. The penalty for which is DQ for you both.

• languid likes this

#56 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23815 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:19 PM

..really interesting to have the red dessert all around

strawberry jelly ?
  • Madam and PuttOvr like this

#57 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:27 PM

Humbug 

How to turn one of the best forms of the game into a nonsense and a total shambles !

Cheating is one word that comes to mind with regards to your blatant disregard for the rules of golf and your skewed view of match-play. 

I'm very happy that our paths will never cross on the golf course and we will also never, ever have to worry about playing a match against each other, under any circumstances :)

Jon...

Edited by golfguy33, 15 May 2018 - 10:28 PM.

• pom likes this

#58 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1832 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:48 PM

You cannot agree to waive a rule of golf. However you are entitled to choose not to penalize a player. No penalty as far as I can see.

DQ both. See AAA .

#59 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:50 AM

How to turn one of the best forms of the game into a nonsense and a total shambles !

Cheating is one word that comes to mind with regards to your blatant disregard for the rules of golf and your skewed view of match-play. 

I'm very happy that our paths will never cross on the golf course and we will also never, ever have to worry about playing a match against each other, under any circumstances :)

Jon...

Hey sorry if I offended you Jon, This was not my intension 
I have full respect for the game of golf and the rules 
The comments I made are true and as always Im trying to learn about the game 
From this topic I have learnt Matchplay is not a free for all and must be played by the rules 

If I did not reply in truth and ask the questions how would I learn and maybe some other readers will learn about matchplay also 

O and yu never say never when your from the never never 

• Madam, languid and Birdie Blitz like this

#60 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11892 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:55 PM

However you are entitled to choose not to penalize a player.

You are saying one thing and meaning another 

Not at all. You do not have to penalize your opponent for breaching the rules. But you cannot discuss with him which breaches you will ignore. That is agreeing to waive a rule of golf which is not permitted.

Edited by pom, 16 May 2018 - 02:08 PM.

No VTPP11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users