68 replies to this topic

#31 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

That's not making up your own rules. Match play rules allow a player to concede a stroke, a hole and a match.

Perhaps the next time you are browsing through the Rules of Golf book, you take some note where it mentions something different in match play.

It's not gentlemen's golf, it is a serious contest played by gentlemen according to the rules. If you know the rules, you can use them to your advantage.

I was taught give you opponent the first few putts, to give him a false sense of security 
Then when things count make him putt.
Same with the way you play the game. 

Matchplay is huge in every club 

I have been taught by some cunning old dogs  
Thats all the help you mob get incase we meet in matchplay one day 

#32 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8676 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:17 PM

Could be back to round one too if you played at OBs club, or a couple of others I can think of. As I stated before that could get really messy. :o :D

Agreed it could be messy.  But them's the Rules, and if we're not playing by all of them, please list the ones that aren't being applied today.

Inconvenience shouldn't be a reason for not applying all the Rules.  :)

I'm quite certain that the participants expect the Rules to be applied (even if they don't know them).

Ummm Yes I am aware of the rule of flog that applies to match play events played in conjunction with other events....

But.....

However,

I am also aware of a clubs bottom line in the financial stakes....

Yes my club allows players to play both events at the same time purely I think on the financial stakes though sometimes I think it is more on the handicap stakes of those playing in such events....

At the end of the day what is more important to a small struggling club.... complying with Rule 33-1 or having the doors open ...

VTTP 006

Miracle

#33 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24279 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:47 PM

Ummm Yes I am aware of the rule of flog that applies to match play events played in conjunction with other events....
But.....
However,
I am also aware of a clubs bottom line in the financial stakes....
Yes my club allows players to play both events at the same time purely I think on the financial stakes though sometimes I think it is more on the handicap stakes of those playing in such events....
At the end of the day what is more important to a small struggling club.... complying with Rule 33-1 or having the doors open ...

The financial argument doesn't apply at my club, unless the comp profits are going to the pros.

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#34 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:11 PM

The financial argument doesn't apply at my club, unless the comp profits are going to the pros.

So true 

#35 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:25 AM

If the financial situation of the club depends on the players bast*&%ing the Rules of golf, then the club is already in trouble for many other reasons.  Most members and participants in competitions appreciate that they will be played by the Rules of golf.

• languid likes this

#36 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11905 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:25 AM

I was taught give you opponent the first few putts, to give him a false sense of security 

I have been playing Matchplay ( Pennant ) for about 15 years. I have heard about all the sneaky ways to get into your opponents head. I have always found that the best way to defeat your opponent is to play decent golf, The other stuff is just another thing that you should not be thinking about when playing Matchplay.

AS for Matchplay being Huge in clubs. Not in the clubs I was in or any others that I know of. With the Clubs out in the bush the distances involved between towns makes playing pennant a rather difficult exercise so not many members are interested in taking part.

Even in the large city clubs Matchplay is not played often & pennant is only played by a very few members from each club.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#37 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:37 AM

With the Clubs out in the bush the distances involved between towns makes playing pennant a rather difficult exercise 

I live in Alice springs
The Nearest club is 500ks away and the second 1500  
I always tell visiting golfers to Alice, all the greens slope towards the ocean 

• CaNadiAn MiCk, languid and Birdie Blitz like this

#38 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9158 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:45 AM

Puttovr

I think you are confusing playing a match against someone while playing the comp of the day Ie 4/2 beats a 5/1. 

yes that happens all the time amongst groups for a beer at the end.

vs

playing under match play rules, not in the comp of the day = stroke play and strokes given (received) by difference using match play index or stroke index.

here can pick up ball and give a putt.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#39 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

Puttovr

I think you are confusing playing a match against someone while playing the comp of the day Ie 4/2 beats a 5/1. 

yes that happens all the time amongst groups for a beer at the end.

vs

playing under match play rules, not in the comp of the day = stroke play and strokes given (received) by difference using match play index or stroke index.

here can pick up ball and give a putt.

Thanks CB80 
Just a question
When you mob play your club pennant matches do you give putts and let the guy your playing bend rules to suit the match if needed 

#40 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

I live in Alice springs
The Nearest club is 500ks away and the second 1500  
I always tell visiting golfers to Alice, all the greens slope towards the ocean

Which is the nearest?

#41 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9158 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

Thanks CB80 
Just a question
When you mob play your club pennant matches do you give putts and let the guy your playing bend rules to suit the match if needed

I give putts yes. Do I expect to get given any No.

Rules are published by district association prior to start of season

No bending rule in pennant matches.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#42 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Re finances and Club Pros. Many regional Clubs are financially struggling. They do their best to have a Pro because of various benefits that can be had.
How good the Professional is matters a lot.
Clubs such as mine do have to pay the Pro a retainer in the contract to give him/her a chance of making a reasonable living.
They also usually have various incentives in the Contract. These are percentages related to have Competition and Social rounds played.
The usual list includes Cart hire fee, social players’ green fees , some type of members’ green fee, and aspects of a dollar allocation for Competition fee.
This is where the Ball competition allows direct benefit to the Pro.
Mid-week is where our Pro does Best as the prizes for Stableford singles and Two-Ball are Proshop vouchers calculated from total competition revenue.
Then there are “nearest the pins” Pro pins every Saturday and so on.
Most Saturdays we have member “sponsors” who donate the prizes. Many sponsors will make this Proshop vouchers when they like and want to support the Pro.
Here’s the issue with Match Play rounds.
A good proportion of the members play only once or twice a week and will either play nil or one Stroke/Stableford rounds in the week they have a Match Play round.
Some counter measures can be taken with Match Play Competition entry fee, but how much?
To date my Club has not got a good plan to help itself and the Pro.
Seeing I am on the injured list at the moment I am planning to give the matter some serious thought
I hope I can develop something for the sake of the Club and the Pro.

#43 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:47 PM

Which is the nearest?

Theres nothing in-between

#44 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8676 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:49 PM

Re finances and Club Pros. Many regional Clubs are financially struggling. They do their best to have a Pro because of various benefits that can be had.
How good the Professional is matters a lot.
Clubs such as mine do have to pay the Pro a retainer in the contract to give him/her a chance of making a reasonable living.
They also usually have various incentives in the Contract. These are percentages related to have Competition and Social rounds played.
The usual list includes Cart hire fee, social players’ green fees , some type of members’ green fee, and aspects of a dollar allocation for Competition fee.
This is where the Ball competition allows direct benefit to the Pro.
Mid-week is where our Pro does Best as the prizes for Stableford singles and Two-Ball are Proshop vouchers calculated from total competition revenue.
Then there are “nearest the pins” Pro pins every Saturday and so on.
Most Saturdays we have member “sponsors” who donate the prizes. Many sponsors will make this Proshop vouchers when they like and want to support the Pro.
Here’s the issue with Match Play rounds.
A good proportion of the members play only once or twice a week and will either play nil or one Stroke/Stableford rounds in the week they have a Match Play round.
Some counter measures can be taken with Match Play Competition entry fee, but how much?
To date my Club has not got a good plan to help itself and the Pro.
Seeing I am on the injured list at the moment I am planning to give the matter some serious thought
I hope I can develop something for the sake of the Club and the Pro.

You are lucky to have a pro and mid week comps.....
  • pom and languid like this

VTTP 006

Miracle

#45 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1901 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:24 PM

Theres nothing in-between

But the nearest is Broken Hill perhaps?
Played it once...really interesting to have the red dessert all around outside The boundaries.
Our group enjoyed the course.
  • PuttOvr likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users