Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23924 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

How good is that?
If they condone that what else?
So one of the match play guys (wins) the stroke play when the Rules require Disqualification. Wouldn’t matter about signing his card, playing from outside teeing ground, etc.
There are ways for these desperate Clubs. Ban match on Competition days would be one.
I would not stay a member long at such a Club or they would change their ways. Maybe I’d be forced out.

It's funny. They won't have any local rules which don't conform precisely with the specimens (examples: optional replay of a stroke that hits traffic management hoops or ropes in front of the green, relief from exposed tree roots. Other clubs have those).
Yet when I refused to pay a comp fee and enter the stroke event of the day because it was a match play event, the pro shop thought I was being excessively pedantic.

#17 AAA

AAA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3062 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

It is discovered playing a final in a knockout the players competed simultaneously in a stroke competition.
Rule 33-1 states the match is null and void and the players are disqualified from the stroke competition.
It seems possible, even likely that one or more matches prior to the final may also have breached Rule 33-1.
I would like to know what should happen if prior matches were incorrectly played.
My quick search did not uncover a Decision. I need to know as soon as possible.

34-1a/1 Player Who Has Reached Third Round of Match Play Disqualified for Agreeing to Waive Rules in First-Round Match

Q.Rule 34-1a provides that there is no time limit on applying the disqualification penalty under Rule 1-3 for agreeing to waive a Rule. If A, who agreed with his opponent to waive a Rule in a first-round match, has advanced to the third round before the Committee becomes aware of the breach of Rule 1-3, what should the Committee do?

A.As A is disqualified, the Committee must rule in accordance with equity (Rule 1-4). For guidelines, see Decision 34-1b/8.

However If the players agree to use some other method which does not involve playing a match to determine which side will concede, such as a putting competition, tossing a coin, etc., they are not considered to be in breach of Rule 1-3.

Edited by AAA, 10 May 2018 - 10:39 PM.

• languid likes this

#18 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:04 AM

So you would declare any match played improperly Null and Void and essentially require each match to be “replayed”.
Of course that could be tricky.
I think various matches might end up conceded rather than replayed.
Rogolf is that a possibility?

Yes - you're back to square 1 with the match where the result was declared null and void.  Either player could concede the match to the other, or toss a coin to determine the winner.

• languid likes this

#19 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

I am missing something (quite possible). If the matches were completed and said competitors (presumably both in the match) played in the daily comp as well my reading of it says that they should be disqualified from the daily comp not from the match play.

My ruling would be that the match play results stand but Dq from daily comp (Dq player would still be eligible be eligible for NTPs etc.). Therefore matches don't have to be replayed. I would also say from a committee perspective that once the competition has been closed off results can't be readily adjusted ie. ball accounts wins etc. so the chicken may have flown the coup on these days. I would however make it clear to the members that from this point that those playing matches are ineligible for the daily comp.

#20 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Birdie Blitz
Disqualified from stroke competition, yes!
Match is “null and void “ . Therefore it does not stand.
You can read that in the last sentence of Rule 33-1.

#21 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11900 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 11 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

Yes - you're back to square 1 with the match where the result was declared null and void.  Either player could concede the match to the other, or toss a coin to determine the winner.

Could be back to round one too if you played at OBs club, or a couple of others I can think of. As I stated before that could get really messy. :o :D

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#22 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:34 PM

Could be back to round one too if you played at OBs club, or a couple of others I can think of. As I stated before that could get really messy. :o :D

Agreed it could be messy.  But them's the Rules, and if we're not playing by all of them, please list the ones that aren't being applied today.

Inconvenience shouldn't be a reason for not applying all the Rules.  :)

I'm quite certain that the participants expect the Rules to be applied (even if they don't know them).

Edited by rogolf, 11 May 2018 - 01:35 PM.

• languid likes this

#23 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:34 PM

Every club and person that I have ever played matchplay in my 55 years of golf has ignored the rules.

Just 2 blokes..... when you walk of the last hole you report the winner back to your teem mates 

#24 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:51 PM

Every club and person that I have ever played matchplay in my 55 years of golf has ignored the rules.
Just 2 blokes..... when you walk of the last hole you report the winner back to your teem mates

Not my experience.
I have played a lot of golf for more than 55 years.
I have played a lot of Match Play, too. For a lot of the time I was not well versed in the Rules but I and my opponents generally tried to observe the Rules. We didn’t make up Rules. I have been exposed to compulsive cheats though. Also some unfortunate people who try but can’t understand, just a few of them.
  • pom likes this

#25 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

Not my experience.
I have played a lot of golf for more than 55 years.
I have played a lot of Match Play, too. For a lot of the time I was not well versed in the Rules but I and my opponents generally tried to observe the Rules. We didn’t make up Rules. I have been exposed to compulsive cheats though. Also some unfortunate people who try but can’t understand, just a few of them.

Sorry I should have said......
We know the rules and we play golf with full respect of the rules 
matchplay is played between two men and the two men work it out 
Have you ever given your player a putt...... and the answer is yes you have 
So again I say matchplay you make up the rules big ones and small ones 

#26 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38386 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:00 PM

You're allowed to give putts in match play....
  • languid likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#27 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9005 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

Languid

The committee is responsible for setting the rules of the match play event.

check with club captain on the format to be used.

the committee should specify whether to use the match play index then Player B would get shots in holes 4, 6,8,10,12,16)

the round must be stroke, not stableford unless specified in rules of the competition.

The rules of golf are different for match play compared to rules for stroke play so cannot play both together and Rule 33.1 clearly states this.

just think what happens if you gave opponent a putt, but he putts out for a point in stfd and misses, do you then win hole.(NO).

or what if you give him the putt and pick up his ball and hand it to him, he is out in stroke round.

if you feel the rules have been breached and the committee allow match play with stroke rounds, you could always refer the matter to local state Golf Authority and ask them to investigate the matter.

Edited by Can Break 80, 11 May 2018 - 04:45 PM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#28 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1854 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

Thanks all. The Captain has bitten the bullet....Rule 33-1 action happening. No prior breaches it seems.
Hopefully stern advice will prevent future problems...at least for a while.

#29 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

Thanks all. The Captain has bitten the bullet....Rule 33-1 action happening. No prior breaches it seems.
Hopefully stern advice will prevent future problems...at least for a while.

Matchplay is just 2 players walk on to the golf course
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas 

#30 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23924 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:12 PM

Sorry I should have said......
We know the rules and we play golf with full respect of the rules 
matchplay is played between two men and the two men work it out 
Have you ever given your player a putt...... and the answer is yes you have 
So again I say matchplay you make up the rules big ones and small ones

That's not making up your own rules. Match play rules allow a player to concede a stroke, a hole and a match.

Perhaps the next time you are browsing through the Rules of Golf book, you take some note where it mentions something different in match play.

It's not gentlemen's golf, it is a serious contest played by gentlemen according to the rules. If you know the rules, you can use them to your advantage.
  • pom and languid like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users