68 replies to this topic

#1 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:06 AM

It is discovered playing a final in a knockout the players competed simultaneously in a stroke competition.
Rule 33-1 states the match is null and void and the players are disqualified from the stroke competition.
It seems possible, even likely that one or more matches prior to the final may also have breached Rule 33-1.
I would like to know what should happen if prior matches were incorrectly played.
My quick search did not uncover a Decision. I need to know as soon as possible.

#2 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:42 AM

I'm no rules guru, but, wouldn't it be a staight up disqualification?

If the club, competition organiser, stuffed up, the equitable outcome would be to replay the matchplay rounds.

But.

The players should know the rules, so a disqualification would be appropriate.

Controversial, would it mean the whole matchplay rounds were scored in error so no one is in contention? Replay of all the matchplay rounds needed?

#3 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:43 AM

It is discovered playing a final in a knockout the players competed simultaneously in a stroke competition.
Rule 33-1 states the match is null and void and the players are disqualified from the stroke competition.
It seems possible, even likely that one or more matches prior to the final may also have breached Rule 33-1.
I would like to know what should happen if prior matches were incorrectly played.

Every matchplay game either pennant or club matchplay, has been a gentleman's  agreement on the rules of golf. 

To explain: both my opponent and my self make the rules up as we go along
First we ask the question and the other person says yes or no end of story 
At the end of the game there is one winner 

#4 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

Every matchplay game either pennant or club matchplay, has been a gentleman's  agreement on the rules of golf. 
To explain: both my opponent and my self make the rules up as we go along
First we ask the question and the other person says yes or no end of story 
At the end of the game there is one winner

I think your main point is you and (all?) your opponent’s seek information on the Rules from each other. There is never any disagreement or a Claim made to have situation checked as soon as possible. I understand your liking a “happy” atmosphere. Most will enjoy a cordial, respectful match played in the spirit of the game. I can guarantee you will lose matches accepting an opponent’s view of a Rule all the time.
Seems strange to me.
If you play pennants your team members would be pleased if you made a special effort to understand the basic Rules on Match Play.

#5 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

I think your main point is you and (all?) your opponent’s seek information on the Rules from each other. There is never any disagreement or a Claim made to have situation checked as soon as possible. I understand your liking a “happy” atmosphere. Most will enjoy a cordial, respectful match played in the spirit of the game. I can guarantee you will lose matches accepting an opponent’s view of a Rule all the time.
Seems strange to me.
If you play pennants your team members would be pleased if you made a special effort to understand the basic Rules on Match Play.

Not sure if I agree 
My teem members are looking for a winning result from me  
Matchplay is a one on one dog fight I get the knee on the chest and cut the throat 

During a cordial respectful game of golf 

Edited by PuttOvr, 10 May 2018 - 01:24 PM.

• GhettoGolfer likes this

#6 rogolf

rogolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:00 PM

"Null and void" doesn't mean disqualified, take it from there.

#7 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:01 PM

PuttOvr
Okay you play tough, to win. Good.
One thing though, if you think your opponent is wrong you may cordially tell him that and make a “Claim”
I don’t like that word but in essence it means you flag disagreement on a matter affecting the possible result of the hole.
The Doubt as to Procedure available in Match Play is covered in Rule 2-5.
No Referee available, just say you would like the dispute sorted out according to The Rules. You need to state what specifically you want sorted..
It might be where Relief is being taken under a Rule or a penalty applicable to a specific happening.

#8 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

"Null and void" doesn't mean disqualified, take it from there.

So you would declare any match played improperly Null and Void and essentially require each match to be “replayed”.
Of course that could be tricky.
I think various matches might end up conceded rather than replayed.
Rogolf is that a possibility?

#9 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:39 PM

Its very hard to set rules when there are no rules, most golfers will give a short putt or Maybe your 3 shots up on a hole and let a player drop a ball around the place he lost it, instead of walking back to the last spot he hit from. I always play ready golf of the tee.
I'm just saying Matchplay is a bit make it up as you go along nothing matters out there except the result 

#10 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:49 PM

Its very hard to set rules when there are no rules, most golfers will give a short putt or Maybe your 3 shots up on a hole and let a player drop a ball around the place he lost it, instead of walking back to the last spot he hit from. I always play ready golf of the tee.
I'm just saying Matchplay is a bit make it up as you go along nothing matters out there except the result 

It is very hard to accept this statement. Although Matchplay is one against one it must still be played within the rules. The  players cannot agree to ignore some  rules. If they do so they can be DQd.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#11 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11901 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 10 May 2018 - 02:59 PM

So you would declare any match played improperly Null and Void and essentially require each match to be “replayed”.
Of course that could be tricky.
I think various matches might end up conceded rather than replayed.
Rogolf is that a possibility?

I think that you would need to find out  which matches were played incorrectly. these should then be replayed . Of course this could become very messy  For example What would you do if 1 person/team played the stroke comp as well whilst the other player/team did not.If there are numerous matches to be replayed maybe the entire competition should be cancelled.

Edited by pom, 10 May 2018 - 03:12 PM.

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24103 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

Some clubs condone concurrent match and stroke play, so they still collect comp fees from all players.
  • PuttOvr likes this

#13 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

It is very hard to accept this statement. Although Matchplay is one against one it must still be played within the rules. The  players cannot agree to ignore some  rules. If they do so they can be DQd.

thats ok bro
If I played against you I would be a hard ass 
Just not a fun day out 

#14 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:05 PM

Some clubs condone concurrent match and stroke play, so they still collect comp fees from all players.

How good is that?
If they condone that what else?
So one of the match play guys (wins) the stroke play when the Rules require Disqualification. Wouldn’t matter about signing his card, playing from outside teeing ground, etc.
There are ways for these desperate Clubs. Ban match on Competition days would be one.
I would not stay a member long at such a Club or they would change their ways. Maybe I’d be forced out.

#15 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

It is quite okay to overlook a Rules Breach by an opponent. If you tell him though and he accepts it you are both disqualified but who is going to find out?
Everybody if you beat the guy and then he can’t resist telling everybody what a wonderful kind bloke you are.
Now about the bloke not doing Stroke and Distance as required, above. Wouldn’t it be great if you got to the green found you’d played a wrong ball. Then you would fess up I’m sure. Then you go back looking for your original ball can’t find it.
Even more poignant you find your opponent lost his ball because you played HIS ball.
How sweet it is!
  • Madam likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users