#1 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Tomorrow marks the start of what we hope is a wonderful experience, for those that don't know my wife is an LPGA Teaching pro and after 10 years of playing competitive golf exile, putting up with me and raising our 2 kids she returned to competative golf last year and won the HKPGA order of merit, and thus earning a start in this week's HK Open.

After much bribery and grovelling she has finally accepted that I grace her presence with my exceptional but untested and never seen before caddying experience and excellence.

Having arranged for the parents to visit and take care of the kids we embark on our journey tomorrow to the prestigous HK Golf Club, A practice round followed by 2 rounds of qualifying before the cut, which if we make it we will be more than happy and surprised.

Having successfully negotiated a few minor sponsorships I switch from manager role to caddy role.

Having never carried before let alone for my wife I thought it would be a breeze, considering we have not really discussed what she actually wanted me to do....

until last night when she asked me to study all the greens and observe the breaks before the round..... WTF..... I'm only there to carry the bag, get her a drink and a banana and clean her ball.... now I'm expected to be Steve Williams...

Anyway I'm sure they will have books, those course guide thingamajiggs with the wavy lines and green directions on them, oh and yardages im sure my samsung S3 gear watch can dowdownload that course.

And then there's the weather, not looking good at the moment, I did tell her I'm a fair weather caddy and if it's pissing down she is on her own I'll wait in the bar....

Anyway I'll clean her clubs tonight, pack her bag and put a couple of extra clubs in just incase she wants to tinker...

Will need to clear out some of her stuff to keep the bag light and free to hold my drinks and nibblies.....

Well that's it for now will update during the week for those that are keen to know how I.. (she) got on.
  • GhettoGolfer, *Mouldy, Bluethunda and 3 others like this

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38012 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

Careful you don't get DQd by the watch.

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.
Goldlink

#3 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

nah I'll use a rangefinder instead...don't need a download
  • Bluethunda likes this

#4 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38012 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

They allowed?

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid / Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel

Goldlink

#5 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

im joking....
  • Bluethunda and Tonk like this

#6 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • 38012 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

ok..

Goldlink

#7 Halfer5

Halfer5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:28 PM

Good luck, sounds like you have all the caddy cheats sown up :D

#8 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12902 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:06 PM

Nice pick up Champ

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#9 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:06 PM

Day 1 completed, after waving goodbye to the kids and leaving them in the trusty hands of the grandparents it was off on the long trip to HK, after checking in to the Official HK open hotel I find myself on the players courtesy bus heading for a practice round.

The bus is filled with young lady golfers most of whom are Thai or Chinese.....

We arrive register and do all the official stuff and as a caddy I need to sign my life away...

Make our way to the buffet and chow down on all the free food whilst we overlook the putting green.

A few ladies approach Rani and say hi have not seen you for 10 years are you back playing and it seems to settle her.

It's on to the first tee, where the boxes of high quality tees of all sizes, ball markers and pitch repair tools lie waiting so I grab a hand full for the bag and remind mysekf to load up for my bag tomorrow and move to the tee area.

We are paird up with a Singaporean who looks like she should be in school but hits it like a man and a Japanese lady who hits it long for her size and stature.

Rani tees up last and I stand behind to make sure she is aligned ok coz I've seen them do that on tv, after I give her the go ahead and move away she drills it down the middle, followed by an approach shot to 10ft and an easy par, my nerves settle by this stage.

Lots of putting practice on course from all different parts of the green Rani seems to know what she is doing and fits in well, me on the other hand I've got balls, yardage books, clubs umbrella and towells all going on at once in a big cluster f@ck but I'm determined to pretend I know what I'm doing.

We escape the round without a fight and Rani held her own but we are both exhausted. Im assured i am on the bag tomorrow and we rush back for the bus.

I normally walk and carry but for some reason today I am knackered.

Shower and ready for dinner with friends and back for some well earned sleep.
  • GhettoGolfer, Madam, Bluethunda and 9 others like this

#10 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41317 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:26 PM

Great stuff! Hope she has a great couple of rounds and makes the weekend
Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#11 Halfer5

Halfer5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

Sounds great, hope she holds her own over the next few days and you have some fun!

#12 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Thanks we are really here for the experience and not expecting much, if she makes the cut it's a bonus.
  • Madam likes this

#13 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9983 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

Mate I am hoping Rani makes the cut so we get to read your exploits as her bag man!!! Go smash em!!!!
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#14 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:24 PM

Day 2 over and back in the hotel resting, an easier day today after a sleep in we headed down for breakfast, its here when you really notice the cultural differences as i place a plate down with 2 eggs, bacon, baked beans and hash browns and Rani places a bowl full of the ugliest vegetable broth and rice you have ever seen.

We finish up and head down to the lobby and see the tee times are posted, gods have been kind with an 8.35 tee off folowed by 1205 tomorrow, i pity the poor soles teeing off at 6am.

Its back on the shuttle bus mixing with the chicadees and off to the practice range. Its a nuce grass range and i picked a nice spot on the right hand side of the range, each spot is marked out and a great big bucket of brand new titliest balls in each spot and i thought to myself that i should fill my pockets with these for my own bag, a sort of tin cup moment really for those of you that watched that film.

Anyway i resisted the temptation and set the bag down and pulled out the 56 and glove for her highness for when she arrived.

We worked our way through the bag and as i looked around i could see players from all over, Aussies most of whom had flags on their bags and predominantly thailand and asian players.

Most of whom all hit the ball nicely but none seemed to have the effortless and gracefull swing that i was looping for.

What was really noticeabke is the short games and the practice these girls do, Rani hit about 5 balls with each club and then concentrated on inside 100 yard pitches.

We moved to the short game area and pitched and putted and did some bunker play for what seemed like an hour.

A few more chips and it was time for lunch no play today just practice as the old girl and old man on the bag didnt need to do 4 or 5 days straight.

On the way to the restaurant we needed to pass byy the pro shop for the real purpose of our visit, yes to collect my new AP3 irons.

What was already torture by way of being around a golf tournament for 4 days and not beihg able to hit a ball was now beyond anything the yanks can drum up at guantanamo bay as now if have a brand new set of irons that are all plastic wrapped and not able to be hit until we get home in 3 days.

Anyway a few swings in the hotel room should at least give me some respite.

Off to lunch and this time it was not free but never the less very tasty.

Off to the putting green and first sight of the leaer board full of players names and no scores yet, i took a photo as Rani Name happened to be at the top so wanted to capture it before it changed...

An hour of putting and navigating around all the girls and balls that were zipping around the greens which were now moving at great speed, not sure what the stint was but dare to say they were fast and sign of things ahead.

And that was the end of Day 2 time to head back to the room before dinner with a friend and some sleep before the big day.

Here is hoping tomorrow we can fight off the nerves and Rani can shoot a score that keeps the dream alive.
  • GhettoGolfer, Madam, Bluethunda and 5 others like this

#15 Bluethunda

Bluethunda

ISG AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL 4BBB CHAMPION, WITH HARRO

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17246 posts
  • Location#KW #CHAMPION

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

Best of luck Tango..... how were those vouchers you bought.
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users