Photo

Lining Up Ball After Replacing It (For Identification, Checking For Damage Or When Asked To Mark Off The Green)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:27 PM

Hi gurus, 

Player plays with a line marked on his ball to help with putting / swing alignment. Whilst it's fine to line up the ball to intended path on green or on a tee, what is the ruling in the following three cases:

1) When player lifts ball in order to check if ball is unfit for play (Rule 5-3), if fit to play and replacing it, can it be aligned?

2) When replacing a ball after being asked by a competitor to mark your ball (off the green) as it interferes with play (Rule 22-2)

3) When replacing a ball after having lifted it to identify it (Rule 12-2)

These rules state that the ball must be replaced but my guess is that placing it it such a way that the line on the ball is aligned to a specific point still fits within the letter of the rule. 

Thoughts?

#2 Birdie Blitz

Birdie Blitz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

My interpretation would be no they cannot align it - my understanding is that the lie has to be recreated ie. if sand covers it sand must be replaced.

My interpretation would be that by aligning the ball it is not truly recreating the lie and is giving the player an advantage therefore improving the lie.

#3 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:46 PM

There is nothing in the Rules requiring a ball be replaced in the same orientation after being lifted under a Rule.
It could be quite a fiddle doing that. A waste of time. Somewhere I remember reading a Ruling on a person lifting a ball to identify it and the Ball had mud on it. The mud was situated on the side of the Ball that the Club face would contact on the next stroke.
Although not allowed to clean the ball under the applicable Rule the player was allowed to replace the Ball, mud intact , in another orientation.
It might be subject of a Decision.
  • pom and hack2489 like this

#4 PuttOvr

PuttOvr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:52 PM

They are improving the lie

#5 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:56 PM

They are improving the lie

How is lie improved if ball is rotated? If the ball is replaced in the place it was originally lifted from, then the lie is the same. No amount of ball rotation would change that. 

Well... that's my interpretation anyway. 

• hack2489 likes this

#6 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1456 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

They are improving the lie

Yes, maybe...

But.

The rules, 13-2 states:

by any of the following actions:

pressing a club on the ground,
moving, bending or breaking anything growing or fixed (including immovable obstructions

and objects defining out of bounds
),
creating or eliminating irregularities of surface,
removing or pressing down sand, loose soil, replaced divots or other cut turf placed in position, or
removing dew, frost or water.

So aligning a ball is not within those parameters as far as I can see. And if not, it is therefore not a breach of rule 13-2.

Edited by hack2489, 08 May 2018 - 04:00 PM.

#7 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

im intetested in the correct ruling, I would have said 1 and 3 no but anytime you Mark your ball you can clean and place however you want.

Let me know as my caddying journey starts tomorrow..

#8 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24103 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:24 PM

I agree with languid that there's nothing in the rules to prevent placing the ball with any marks aligned.

But keep in mind that, once replaced, the ball may not then be touched/moved/rotated again, except on the putting green. The ball is replaced when it is then at rest. The withdrawal of the marker is irrelevant. What this means is that the player has to get his alignment right the first time, he can't adjust it afterwards or he's touching his ball 'in play' and it's in play when it is at rest.

#9 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24103 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:26 PM

im intetested in the correct ruling, I would have said 1 and 3 no but anytime you Mark your ball you can clean and place however you want.
Let me know as my caddying journey starts tomorrow..

No, you may not clean it.

#10 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

No, you may not clean it.

just checked the rules your right thanks

#11 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1880 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:52 PM

The Rule on lifting to identifying the ball has a few procedures . It does say the Ball may be cleaned only as much is necessary to identify it.
Basically it is a non clean Rule unless necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users