• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13608 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 05:22 PM

The 18th hole at TPC Sawgrass was the second toughest hole on the PGA TOUR schedule during the 2016- 2017 season, playing to a stroke average of 4.486. In 2017, there were more double bogeys or worse (57 in total) than birdies (37) at the 18th hole.

The eighth hole was the second toughest par 3 on the PGA TOUR schedule a season ago, playing to a stroke average of 3.314

No player has gone all four rounds without a bogey at THE PLAYERS. Greg Norman came the closest in 1994 with a single bogey in the final round on No. 13. The 36-hole cut has been below par just twice in the last 21 showings of THE PLAYERS 2-under 142 in 2010 and 2016.

The 13th hole has had more 3-putts than any other non-major hole on TOUR since the TOUR began tracking the statistics in 2003. On a brighter note, on the par-5 16th hole the reward for going for the green has been substantial over the years. Since 2003, players laying up have a scoring average of 4.96, while players going for the green have a scoring average of 4.46. In total, players laying up are -78, while players going for the green are -2,564.

There have been 26 total par 3s measuring less than 150 yards (scorecard yardage) in the last 15 years on the PGA TOUR. The par-3 17th hole on THE PLAYERS Stadium Course is one of just four with an over-par scoring average (3.12). The field is a combined +762 total over par in the last 15 years on the 17th hole at THE PLAYERS Stadium Course. The highest recorded score on No. 17 belongs to Bob Tway, who posted a 12 in the third round in 2005. Zac Blair posted the highest recorded score in 2017 with a 9.

Since 2003, the player with the most total balls in the water at the 17th is Aaron Baddeley, with 13. Among the players in the field this year, Phil Mickelson has hit the most balls in the water on the 17th with eight. Among the players in the field with a minimum of eight rounds on the Stadium Course, Graham DeLaet, who was qualified but couldn’t compete due to injury, has gone the most rounds on the 17th hole without hitting a ball in the water, with a perfect 18/18 mark.

Chez Reavie (12/12), Scott Stallings (12/12), Michael Thompson (12/12), Adam Hadwin (10/10), Robert Streb (8/8), Si Woo Kim (8/8), and Ross Fisher (8/8) have also never found the water at the 17th hole.

Over the last 15 years, there have been more total balls in the water on holes 16-18 than on the first 15 holes combined. 16-18 have accounted for 1,889 balls in the water, while Nos. 1- 15 have been responsible for 1,818. There have been more balls hit in the water on the 18th hole (704) than the 17th hole (703) over that time frame.

• Monty85 and Schmuck like this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#32 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:05 PM

So it's a p!ss-easy course then?

• Madam likes this

#33 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13608 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:37 PM

So it's a p!ss-easy course then?

baddly would agree with you, easy to hit into the piss!
  • bazinoz likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#34 Becoming Nathan

Becoming Nathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19744 posts
  • Location.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:53 PM

It is easily the most strategic golf course I have played.

It’s the perfect example of risk v reward.

From tee to green, if you are slightly out of position you have to take your medicine. Bogey can be a good score and you get plenty of birdie chances.

You can tell all this if you look at the past champions and the players that have struggled there over the years.

One of the most exciting tournaments to watch.

#35 Hakka

Hakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

I would love to sit on a deck chair with a slab at Hidden Valleys 18th tee on a stroke day that's blowing 40KM plus and see how many balls get dunked.

Played HV open event in Feb in terrible weather.One fella had 38 off Stick front 9 then had 67 off Stick back 9 after taking 20 shots on 18th with 8 water balls.Off the whites its 120m off the blacks 165 m and a whole new ball game.Heard many other stories of demise on that hole also.
  • Madam and Lukos87 like this

#36 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

Being a fan of the great Qld golf courses, I'm more fountain/waterfall, than island.

Whilst many may ohh and ahh about the 17th island at Sawgrass, without any doubt a course without a fountain or preferably a waterfall is lesser.
  • iRON MiCK, Goldy and madness like this

#37 Halfer5

Halfer5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

It is easily the most strategic golf course I have played.

It’s the perfect example of risk v reward.

From tee to green, if you are slightly out of position you have to take your medicine. Bogey can be a good score and you get plenty of birdie chances.

You can tell all this if you look at the past champions and the players that have struggled there over the years.

One of the most exciting tournaments to watch.

Any tips? Anything I should practice over the next 5 months or is it just everything that needs to be sharp?

#38 Becoming Nathan

Becoming Nathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19744 posts
  • Location.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:23 PM

Any tips? Anything I should practice over the next 5 months or is it just everything that needs to be sharp?

Distance control is super important.

Try and keep the ball under the hole.

Don’t short side yourself.

Short of the green is generally better than long.

14 is a great hole, really hard driving hole.

The drive on 18 is tough, anything going down left half of the fairway is a chance of running into the water.

It’s a cool place from the course, to the practice facilities, the service and the clubhouse.

Oh and take plenty of balls. :)

Enjoy it!

#39 Becoming Nathan

Becoming Nathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19744 posts
  • Location.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:33 PM

On the 17th hit a second ball pretending it’s Sunday at The Players and go for the back right pin.

I hit it about a foot from an old hole location and putted over the hole so I could say I birdied it with the Sunday hole location, lol. I totally blocked it and the wind came up and blew it about 10 feet left onto the green. It was water bound for sure. The wind gets so swirly around 16 and 17.

Edited by Fatprick, 09 May 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#40 Becoming Nathan

Becoming Nathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19744 posts
  • Location.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:13 PM

I assume they still do this or something similar, you get a bag tag from them before your round. After the round they will engrave your name on the back of it for you.

Attached File  306E7B6A-A329-45A8-9D33-06A02013D1AA.jpeg   353.92KB   1 downloads
  • iRON MiCK, Rusty_Chopper_1984 and VLAD like this

#41 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12932 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Thats pretty cool
  • Becoming Nathan likes this

18.4 by Dec. 2018

2017 VIC ISG OOM Overall Winner

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3023100698

"Team Frank" founding member

#42 Madam

Madam

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 13608 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:26 AM

On the 17th hit a second ball pretending it’s Sunday at The Players and go for the back right pin.

I hit it about a foot from an old hole location and putted over the hole so I could say I birdied it with the Sunday hole location, lol. I totally blocked it and the wind came up and blew it about 10 feet left onto the green. It was water bound for sure. The wind gets so swirly around 16 and 17.

your Cinderella story?
  • Becoming Nathan likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#43 BumpunRun

BumpunRun

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12732 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

your Cinderella story?

He's got a better one, except there were two shoes and they were too big for me.
  • Madam and Becoming Nathan like this
"But sometimes there are more important things in life than being pedantic about the rules of golf, or spelling and grammar on golf forums"

#44 Halfer5

Halfer5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:28 PM

Distance control is super important.

Try and keep the ball under the hole.

Don’t short side yourself.

Short of the green is generally better than long.

14 is a great hole, really hard driving hole.

The drive on 18 is tough, anything going down left half of the fairway is a chance of running into the water.

It’s a cool place from the course, to the practice facilities, the service and the clubhouse.

Oh and take plenty of balls. :)

Enjoy it!

Thanks for the tips, I'l work on distance control as that seems to be key. I'm looking forward to it already, especially with focus on the tv this week

Great tip, will definitely try this - no one questions how you did it, you just did it - it's in the mind whenever the pros play that it's an easy birdie on 17 :D

I assume they still do this or something similar, you get a bag tag from them before your round. After the round they will engrave your name on the back of it for you.

attachicon.gif306E7B6A-A329-45A8-9D33-06A02013D1AA.jpeg

Hopefully as that looks good. I have a few plastic bag tags (Pebble, Spyglass, Pennina) and they now look terrible with age (no longer on the bag) so would be good to get something a bit more classy, though...

• Madam and Becoming Nathan like this

#45 Becoming Nathan

Becoming Nathan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19744 posts
  • Location.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'l work on distance control as that seems to be key. I'm looking forward to it already, especially with focus on the tv this week

Great tip, will definitely try this - no one questions how you did it, you just did it - it's in the mind whenever the pros play that it's an easy birdie on 17 :D

Hopefully as that looks good. I have a few plastic bag tags (Pebble, Spyglass, Pennina) and they now look terrible with age (no longer on the bag) so would be good to get something a bit more classy, though...

Make sure you go to the World Golf Hall of Fame.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users