Photo

Do You Play With New Golf Balls...?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: General competition play - new balls? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

In general competition play, do you play new balls

1. Yes, new balls every time, even changing balls during a round (without losing the ball) if there is a scuff (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Yes, but use older balls if game starts to go down hill (9 votes [32.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.14%

3. Yes, if I have one in the bag, but otherwise not bothered (7 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. No, it doesn't matter I use whatever ball I have in the bag (6 votes [21.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

5. What's a new golf ball look like...? (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 IsaGolfer

IsaGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMt Isa

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:47 AM

So i wanted to ask what seeker golfers do in general. It's been something we have been talking about with a beer or two at the end of a game. I personally play off 4 and use any type of ball (preference at the moment is actually Calaway supersofts, not sure why), in fact i seem to play more consistently with used balls as apposed to new. However we see articles about how new balls behave better, improve play etc etc. I wanted to get the seekgolf communities thoughts on the matter.

Do you play new balls every time, even changing balls during a round (without losing the ball) if there is a scuff etc?

OR do you use a new ball sometimes and play it until you lose it

OR do you just use whatever ball you have in your bag, used or otherwise?

Also do you use the same type of ball ALL the time, or use whatever?

With your answer can you elaborate a little and also include your experience (years), handicap and i guess if its a cost thing?

#2 IsaGolfer

IsaGolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  • LocationMt Isa

Posted 07 May 2018 - 09:48 AM

Also wasnt sure if this should go in "playing the game" "equipment" or "golf talk" it kinda fits in all, hope this is the right place to get the best discussion. Let me know.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24285 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:06 AM

None of the voting options apply to me.

I'm a chopper, off 16 to 18.

While I like to use a new ball, I certainly use used ones if they're still in good condition.  When they get quite knocked around, off they go to the 'used' bucket, which is overflowing.  Sometimes a good clean up and a re-do of my markings will get a ball back into service.

The problem with new balls is that they have a propensity to seek out water, jump the fence, or just go hiding.  But a ball that's been 'trained' for a few rounds seems more likely to behave itself and stay in play.

I have my preferences for brands/models, but I rarely buy balls as I often get a ball DTL and you take what you get.  Yes, cost is a factor.

• IsaGolfer and hack2489 like this

Golflink

Olinda Golf Club

Warragul Country Club

People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

#4 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10222 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:12 AM

Chopper off 15/16

Not greatly fussed.
  • IsaGolfer and hack2489 like this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#5 Natnkyls

Natnkyls

Master Chipper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2026 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

I use a new ball every game,
If I lose it I get another new one out,
After the game it’s been used in it goes into my practice ball bag, which I use 1-2 times a year,
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and hack2489 like this

CAPTAIN SEQ Golf Guys

Greatest Ball Striker in SEQ Golf Guys-Just ask me

The Better Half of NAARN(2011 WANTIMA FOURSOMES CHAMPIONS)

An Equal Half of NATTER(JUST BRILLIANT ALL OF THE TIME)

The Lesser Half of NACK(4BBB RUNNERS UP ISG NATS 2017)

http://www.golflink....k_no=4132707240

#6 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 14807 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 10:56 AM

I use a new ball every game,
If I lose it I get another new one out,
After the game it’s been used in it goes into my practice ball bag, which I use 1-2 times a year,

are you a chopper as well? Asking for friends

• Natnkyls likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#7 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1597 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:01 PM

Always a new ball for me - and rotate between two brands generally (Titleist Pro v1x and Taylormade Tp5x).

If i lose it in the first few holes i'll grab another new one out - but if im playing poorly and lose it (the ball not my head) mid round i'll just grab a used one from the bag which generally are in relatively good condition anyway.

Currently playing off 1.

| GolfLink 

#8 Tango67

Tango67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • LocationMacau

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:42 PM

usually get 3 rounds out of a ball unless I loose it of course, use either Honma - very good ball
Callaway- chrome soft x
Pro V1x

Depending what my wife gets me from the pro shop....lol

Edited by Tango67, 07 May 2018 - 12:43 PM.

#9 Talart

Talart

Hit the ball, Find the ball, Hit the ball...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3897 posts
  • LocationThe Nail shop next to Golgotha

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:00 PM

So i wanted to ask what seeker golfers do in general. It's been something we have been talking about with a beer or two at the end of a game. I personally play off 4 and use any type of ball (preference at the moment is actually Calaway supersofts, not sure why), in fact i seem to play more consistently with used balls as apposed to new. However we see articles about how new balls behave better, improve play etc etc. I wanted to get the seekgolf communities thoughts on the matter.

Do you play new balls every time, even changing balls during a round (without losing the ball) if there is a scuff etc?

OR do you use a new ball sometimes and play it until you lose it

OR do you just use whatever ball you have in your bag, used or otherwise?

Also do you use the same type of ball ALL the time, or use whatever?

With your answer can you elaborate a little and also include your experience (years), handicap and i guess if its a cost thing?

generally I use the balls in the bag for competition rounds. Tournaments and Championships I will certainly use a new ball in a final definitely. Interesting though, use Callaway supersofts as well generally easy to play effortless also favor Dunlop DX2 softs and Callaway Warbird, Srixons at times. Yet in finals will change to Pro V deliberately as I play them more aggressive and chip much better with them. Currently on 10.3 going down to single figures again after injury wear and tear. Played serious competition golf since 2009. won club champs, opens and annual events. 

Edited by Talart, 07 May 2018 - 01:05 PM.

Hit the ball, find the ball, hit the ball...

#10 koiom K. Asterisk*

koiom K. Asterisk*

Anyone for a Cuppa?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11745 posts
  • LocationJDM heaven

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

New ball for every comp round.
Will sometimes play a used ball for social hits
http://www.golf.org....icap/3011891841

2014 Heritage OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2014 Bendigo Slog Pairs Winner with Ghetto
2014 Vic ISG Matchplay Runner Up
2015 Vic ISG Matchplay Semi Finalist
2016 Keysborough GC April Medal Winner
2016 ISG Race to 6 Winner
2017 Torquay OOM#3 A Grade Winner
2017 Overall A Grade OOM Winner
2017 Vic ISG Goldy Trophy Runner Up
2018 Bacon Wide Tour Keysie Invitational Winner
2018 ISG National Champion*
2018 Stink/GPJ Trophy Winner Gardiners Run OOM
Have never been beaten by Mick off the stick

#11 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10222 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

None of the voting options apply to me.

I'm a chopper, off 16 to 18.

While I like to use a new ball, I certainly use used ones if they're still in good condition.  When they get quite knocked around, off they go to the 'used' bucket, which is overflowing.  Sometimes a good clean up and a re-do of my markings will get a ball back into service.

The problem with new balls is that they have a propensity to seek out water, jump the fence, or just go hiding.  But a ball that's been 'trained' for a few rounds seems more likely to behave itself and stay in play.

I have my preferences for brands/models, but I rarely buy balls as I often get a ball DTL and you take what you get.  Yes, cost is a factor.

4th option applies to you doofus!!!
  • Hokey Pokey likes this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#12 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3034 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:23 PM

I load up my bag with new balls so new ball until the ball is cut or scuffed semi badly but still good enough to be a practise ball. Then it gets changed over and the old one put in the practise pocket. 

Generally for me it lasts around 1 to 2 rounds if not lost. 

So I would probably be Vote 1 but has to be more than just 1 scuff mark for me to swap it out. 3 is prolly closer to me but I wouldn't swap out a scuffed ball for another so I am not in the "not bothered" camp.

I don't pick up old balls on the course I come across. I think if they have been lost then it ain't going to bring me any luck lol. Plus I play Bridgestone so don't play the other major brands. I generally throw them into the rough\fairway for those that do to find and collect. 

The others aren't relevant as I don't swap it out if game going badly as its not the balls fault.

Edited by Joe79, 07 May 2018 - 02:23 PM.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#13 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38970 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Do you autograph them so others who find them know they're valuable?

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#14 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38970 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 07 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

4th option applies to you doofus!!!

For one who has a penchant of correcting the writing of others...he clearly doesn't interpret too well.

• GhettoGolfer and Hokey Pokey like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals | Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015 | Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball | Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013 | C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel | NTP 2nd hole Kooindah Waters 2014 ISG Nationals

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals | R/Up 4BBB 2015 ISG Nationals | NTP 16th hole Growling Frog OOM 2017 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#15 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3034 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:19 PM

Do you autograph them so others who find them know they're valuable?

You've seen how my golf ball is marked, theres no room for a signature. Not hard to tell they are mine and worth an absolute mint........leaf or chocolate will take either. 

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts

OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:

Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users